Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Cove Handjobs, what are they like?
  • PJay
    Free Member

The 2010 Cove Handjobs look lovelly bits of kit and I was wondering what people think of them. I'm not particularly abusive on bikes as I just do a general mix of recreation riding on roads and country trails, but being a 'larger' gentleman (15 stone) I like a resonably resilliant frame rather than something ultra-light. The write up on the CRC website says that the Handjob is a 'true go go anywhere' frame but in the past I've heard people describe them a XC bike (which would be fine) but with some issues around crumpling (which isn't fine). Are they nice and durable in their current incarnations?

I suppose that the other thing is cost, at nearly £500 they seem a bit overpriced for a steel frame, the current top of the list frame for me is an 853 Genesis Altitude and £350; are the Handjobs worth the extra?

My current frame, an 853 Inbred, is fine at the moment and a great ride so I'm in no immediate rush for something new but it's always nice to explore options.

sprocker
    Free Member

Dialled Prince Albert is worth a look at only £240

rOcKeTdOg

no idea, it's not 2010 yet, but i've had 2 in the past, lovely light comfy steel frames, i broke one in a crash though, they have very thin tubes, but maybe they are different for 2010, if you are doing xc stuff and not freeride lite stuff i'd say they are excellent

samuri
    Free Member

Mine's great, 2007 I think. It gets a fair amount of abuse and hasn't snapped yet. Brilliant climbing bike.

Rivett
    Free Member

Mine is dead good. Ride XC on it and it has been fine. Have ridden some quite techy rocky stuff at Santa Barbara and it coped OK. I'm not an overly heavy rider though.

chakaping
    Free Member

Got the '06 myself, but believe it's now switched to different tubing for 2010.

The big ovalised downtube may have gone as a consequence, and tubes may be different thicknesses – so not sure how much use a testimonial would be.

Has been very durable anyway, and has handled some very rocky trails surprisingly well, but still a bit light and flexy for me at 12st-ish.

And not sure it's worth £150 more than a Genesis. Also agree with Dialled PA suggestion worth checking for a heavier rider.

Kit
    Free Member

The frame was given an extra gusset at the head tube in 2006 or 2007, and I believe all the strength issues related to frames prior to that year. It is one of the lightest steel frames so you're not going to have the total bombproofness of a PA or a Trailstar etc.

I've got the same as samuri – had it for 2 years and no issues with it. Even ran into one of those height restriction barriers in a car park with it on the roof of the car and its fine 😀

Run mine with a variety of forks, but reackon the Fox F120 that are on it just now are most travel you'd want. Very good climber and looks great!

I got mine 'nearly new' with a headset for £260. Drop Richard from Gravity Sports a line. If he still sells Cove, he's an excellent dealer and might be able to help you out with the price

http://www.gravity-sports.co.uk

PJay, are you "large" as in tall, or just large as in heavy? Only asking as the PA has been mentioned, but I only have 19" frames in stock.

v10
    Free Member

New finish on the '2010' tange prestige frames is 10000000x better than the old columbus ones.

Looks lovely in orange too:

Not ridden one yet but already sold one to a customer as a replacement for his old Columbus (2007) one and he says he prefers the new one – although im sure a lot of that is down to the new bike placebo effect!

steve_b77
    Free Member

I have a '08 framed Handjob and it's a superb bike.

It'll take more than a bit of XC, there's nothing wrong with throwing in some small jumps & drops or lobbing it down the side of a rocky Peaks descent.

If they were still £380 I'd say go for it without a doubt, but at £500 they do seem rather expensive.

Do like the new graphics though

deluded
    Free Member

PJAY,

I'm 16 stone (big boned and all that guff) and ride a 2007 HJ, in a not altogether skilful manner (browbeat my way over stuff) on terrain such as the Quantocks, Mendips etc and it copes superbly. IMHO the frame is laterally stiff enough with just the right blend of flex (agree with steve_b77). If you ride it within its intended purpose it will be fine. Due to my build/weight and how I shift around on the bike I’m at a loss to see how other riders could have damaged or crumpled their frames unless they are subjecting them to tolerances that it’s not been designed to deal with.

Don’t worry about the £500 tag. Get one.

All the best.

v10
    Free Member

You can still pick them up for £399 at a few places.

DezB
    Free Member

You can still pick them up for £399 at a few places
    Not with the new decals and colours. They look lovely. And Tange Prestige hmm?

Mine's outside work at this moment, calling to me…

Kit
    Free Member

Oh yeah, and they have a bottle opener on the disc mount, if that kinda thing is important to you!

rOcKeTdOg

I broke mine fueling with another rider for the inside of a corner, broke my forks too 🙁

chakaping
    Free Member

That is a very nice orange.

Not that I'd be tempted, I couldn't justify replacing my '06 HJ when it does everything I need it to do so well already.

v10
    Free Member

You can still pick them up for £399 at a few places

Not with the new decals and colours. They look lovely. And Tange Prestige hmm?

Mine's outside work at this moment, calling to me…

Yes you can 😉

DezB
    Free Member

I'm not looking!

steve_b77
    Free Member

I wondee you can where you can get them for £399, the mind boggles 😆

Crikey, I should pay more attention to the "competition", I had no idea Cove Handjobs were £500.

Might need to re-adjust my prices in 2010 😉

Jim_Kirk
    Free Member

whats it calling you Dez?

DezB
    Free Member

Lazy fecker, probably

PJay
    Free Member

Well they look nice, I like the 2010 powdercoated green myself.

I have the dilema though of not having a great deal of spare cash and a lovelly 853 Inbred which is a joy to ride, so there's a danger in just buying a frame because you fancy a change – it might not be as good as the one I've got and it's unlikely to be significantly better. Having cash in the bank for the possibility of my currently frame giving up the ghost one day might be a better option. But oh, new bikes!

Mike I'm big as in heavy and reasonably tall – 6 foot, my Inbred is a 20" so a 19" PA would probably be a good fit (I've been thinking of a 19" Genesis Altitude and would go for a 19" Handjob if I went down that route).

Well, there's no rush and lots of choice, but the Handjob does look very nice indeed.

mccett
    Free Member

Great bikes. My 2004 model has had up to 120mm fork on it in various guises, heavy duty wheels for Peaks rides and XC wheels for places without rocks. Got it powdercoated for £40 earlier this year as it were getting tatty and its still going strong. I'm im 11 and half stone and ride it as if i forgot im not on the full sus and its been fine. Amazed at the price increase but i'd happily get another if this one went kaput. After looking at that blue pig thing the other week it made me want to keep the Handjob even more…. pig iron they should have called that!

bobster
    Free Member

Have been riding (Not 2010 – don't know age) as a stop gap, rides better than I expected, but not great. Personally, as you mentioned it and I've also ridden it a bit the Genesis Altitude is a far better bike – IMO

Do like the new Cove graphics.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Cove Handjobs, what are they like?’ is closed to new replies.