Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Court/Witness confusion
  • poltheball
    Free Member

Hi all

Been called as a witness/victim to a court case that was meant to happen today. We turned up, signed in and sat down to wait our turn. When I went up to the desk about twenty minutes in and asked if we could review our statements I was told that actually we could go home as they’d moved the case to tomorrow.

Six hours later a mate sends me a link to the local news website that’s just reported the outcome of the trial…

Problem is we’ve been cited to reattend tomorrow early doors. As the case has already been closed I’m assuming this is no longer necessary, but when I phoned up the PF office to confirm they were less than helpful, saying that they wouldn’t be able to confirm until tomorrow. The court rolls for the day show that the guy was indeed scheduled in for today as well, so I’m unsure as to why we were sent home in the first place.

Any advice? Don’t want to waste time turning up when I know we’re only going to be turned away again, I’ve already missed a day of uni today so can’t really afford to let it go any further.

Current plan is to phone in at opening time and check up to see if we’re definitely not expected to attend. I know that’s probably the best option therefore making this thread a bit pointless, but I’m still a bit miffed by the timewasting.

Anybody experienced anything similar?

xora

Yes, courts are totally disorganised. Also did the guy plead guilty at last minute? They rush those through to free up time for other cases.

Phone 1st thing and chances are your not needed.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Anybody experienced anything similar?

If you mean COPFS being an utter shambles, then yes, almost always.

maccruiskeen

but I’m still a bit miffed by the timewasting.

Its the nature of the beast unfortunately. Neither side wants to show their hand so they’ll wait to the very last minute before conceding that they don’t have a case / defence in the hope that the other side blinks first.

poltheball
    Free Member

The bloke pled guilty to all charges by the looks of things. Just strange seeing your name in the news when you thought it hadn’t even been heard in court yet!

The police have been a bit pants at comms throughout, apparently they were meant to pop round on Friday to mention that the case wasn’t going to happen til Tues, and then they were meant to keep us updated by phone to any changes (i.e. Hello there, yes he’s pled guilty, no he’s not been released).

Ah well. Will phone in the morning and try not to be too grouchy.

thegreatape
    Free Member

The police have been a bit pants at comms throughout, apparently they were meant to pop round on Friday to mention that the case wasn’t going to happen til Tues, and then they were meant to keep us updated by phone to any changes

Should be the PF doing that. They don’t tell the police either half the time.

irc

If it was all dealt with at one go you were lucky. After attending Glasgow Sheriff Ct as a witness 4 or 5 times for one car theft case my dad said he would never report anything to the police again. Was as good as his word – no report when his garage was done a while later.

kilo

maccruiskeen – Member

Its the nature of the beast unfortunately. Neither side wants to show their hand so they’ll wait to the very last minute before conceding that they don’t have a case / defence in the hope that the other side blinks first.

Must be different up in Scotland because CPS won’t even authorise a charge if you’ve no case, the days of winging it are long gone

poltheball
    Free Member

The wife phoned up this morning, no need to go in today. Happy days, as I was already in uni by the time she found out so it’s just as well!

It was Glasgow sheriff court, have to say we were somewhat taken aback by the lack of witness protection as well. Story was that a bloke was having a domestic which resulted in his wife shouting for help, I intervened while wife called police, he banjoed me with his e-cig leaving a scar above my eye. He’d never seen my wife, and yet she was expected to witness where he could see her face along with any of his hardnut grudge-bearing pals that might have attended to see who revenge needed to be meted out to. Makes for an interesting relationship in our tenement, as his wife lives below us and some of his close family friends occupy two out of four remaining flats in the close. We’ll be moving out once our rent period is up!

So I’m definitely happy that we didn’t have to witness in the end, just a bit annoyed by the lack of organisation and timewasting!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Court/Witness confusion’ is closed to new replies.