Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Couple of questions on bash guards…
  • ryanctj
    Free Member

I’m thinking of replacing my outer ring for a bashguard as I never use it. The current crankset on my Trance X3 is 24/32/42 (3×10).

1) I presume the correct size to buy is a 32t? Is there any benefit to going for a bigger size?
    2) Would I need to fit a chain guide too?
    3) Easy to fit? (i’m guessing it’s just a case of unscrewing outer ring and shortening chain)

Any recommendations? I’m thinking of going for either the HOPE lightweight or RaceFace lightweight bash guards.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

You can have up to a 14t gap between chain rings with a standard mech (9 speed tested here) so you can increase the size of the middle ring if you want to cover some(I said some not all) of the gears you loose by dropping the 42.

I moved to 22/36 it gives a more High/Low feel to riding but I find I used to spin out in 32 a lot. Spinning out in 36 on technical singletrack is nice and fast.

In terms of a chain guide you may/may not find it’s needed/useful it keeps the chain nice and tight and stops it jumping off on the rougher stuff.
    I would suggest either a black spire stinger – simple, basic good roller or an E-13 DRS. Prefer the e-13 but never actually paid for one as they came on bikes.

Summary – if you are happy with 32t front as max get a 32t bash guard however it will be redundant if you up the front ring. Good time to upgrade both (it’s probably worn out anyway 😉 )

JoeG
    Free Member

You’ll be fine with a bash that is 32 teeth or larger; some brands make one size for 32/34 teeth for instance as the difference in overall diameter is rather small. The only advantage that I could see to a larger bash would be that it leaves you the option of running a 34 chainring in the future. Your current bolts should work fine and it should be no harder to install than a regular chainring.

You might also want to look at the Salsa ones.

I don’t run a chainguide, so I’ll ignore the STW requirement of offering advise on something that I’ve never used!

jonba
    Free Member

If you get a 34 or 36 it will give you options to go with bigger chain rings in the future.

Scapegoat

I upped the middle ring to a 36.

Blackspire Stinger is my recommendation. One on each hardtail in this family…. and on special offer at Chain reaction if you don’t mind colours.

composite
    Free Member

I went with an E-13 bash when I dropped my big ring. Even though my current largest ring is a 32 I went for a 36 size one just to give me some options in the future.

+1 for the stinger as well.

ryanctj
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice all, I’ve gone for the Hope 34t so will see how I get on with it for now before seeing if I need more range.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Couple of questions on bash guards…’ is closed to new replies.