Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Couple of hours spare in Glasgow.
  • vorlich
    Free Member

Have an appt at the passport office at noon tomorrow, but am dropping the OH off in Edinburgh at 0800, can’t be bothered driving back home, then back out west. So assuming I have a couple of hours spare after getting passport photos done, etc, what is there to do in or around Cowcaddens? I then have up to four hours to wait for processing after the first appointment…

bencooper
    Free Member

Come play with some recumbents 🙂

Macavity
    Free Member
    bigG
    Free Member

It’s a bit of a cultural desert up that end of town, I’d suggest nipping out to the new museum of transport. Only five mins in the car and well worth a trip. You can stop off at the Kelvingrove if you still have time. Both are free by the way (cafe in Kelvingrove is good).

You can wave to me as you drive to the museum of transport. I’ll be staring out the window and wishing I wasn’t spending the day in meetings.

maccruiskeen

Within walking distance you’ve got Dales and Tiso for a leisurely man-hobbies browse (cafe in Tiso is nice but they really need to do something about their coffee). For culture (although I don’t know what they’ve got on at the minute) theres the CCA, Glasgow School of Art (for exhibitions or the full tour) and the Tenement House (if its open).

For more esoteric, tight trousered, tattooed cycle browsing theres Rig

You’d be wandering into the boon-docks a bit but theres a bit of a flurry of indi-cultural shinannagans in and around TWB – the whisky bond although it’d call for a bit more research – I’ve not wandered up that way myself

pinetree
    Free Member

If you’re at Cowcaddens, hop on the subway to Kelvinhall and go visit these guys!
    http://www.siemprebicyclecafe.com/
    That’s also right at the bottom of Byres road which is well worth a wander. Kelvingrove park’s right next to that, as is Glasgow Uni & Kelvingrove museum (which is ace!) etc… I Could go on!

I miss living in Glasgow. Can you tell? 🙁

pinetree
    Free Member

Oh! and this! http://www.glasgowlife.org.uk/museums/our-museums/riverside-museum/Pages/default.aspx

They’ve got O’Bree’s record setting bikes (or copies of, at least) on display!

bigyinn
    Free Member

Cowcaddens has an underground station, hop on that and get into the city centre (Buchanan St or St Enoch) and have a mooch about for a bit.

tomd
    Free Member

Jump on the underground at Cowcaddens, it’s an experience in itself. Get off at Kelvinhall and take a look at the bike cafe (http://www.siemprebicyclecafe.com/). The art galleries are a short walk from here and also worth a look. You could walk back via Kelvingrove park to get some good views of the city.

vorlich
    Free Member

Did Kelvingrove last year, but the Transport Museum sounds good. What are the best options for parking for most of the day?

kennyp
    Free Member

Have you thought about getting mugged? It’s very popular over there.

jota180
    Free Member

There’s a good tool shop just off Gallowgate

tomd
    Free Member

It’s controlled parking within a good distance of the city centre. The nearest non controlled parking is a good bit out west.

If you want to go to Transport museum there are no parking controls around Partick / Yorkhill, it’s a short walk down. Try Kelvinhaugh street, or any of the side streets off Dumbarton Road.

stucol
    Free Member

For parking you can go down the side of the Fire station (Milton St) and take the first left. The old STV garages are there and it’s about £5 a day.

Don’t take the underground from Cowcaddens to the city centre, just walk down Port Dundas Rd/West Nile st. Cowcaddens underground is in the wrong direction. I work in the same building as the Passport office so know of what i speak !

If you like architecture just go straight down West Nile St till it narrows and the Lighthouse Design Centre is on the Left. You get a great view from the tower there.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Assuming you’re male, why not go and sit in the library at caley uni and have a perv for a couple of hours.

vorlich
    Free Member

Thanks all, now I just need to figure out where has a passport photo booth…

pinetree
    Free Member

Assuming you’re male, why not go and sit in the library at caley uni and have a perv for a couple of hours.

Haha! This is the very reason I ended up with a 2:2 degree.

stabilizers

Kelvingrove museum. I spent a fine morning there prior to my appointment at the said passport office. Nice cafe too.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Buchanan bus station has photo booths.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Couple of hours spare in Glasgow.’ is closed to new replies.