Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Couple of days in the Cairngorms, advice please
  • gra

Was planning a couple of days doing Glentress and Inners in a couple of weeks but thinking of going to the Cairngorms instead. Would probably stay in Aviemore, so there’s stuff to do on an evening.

Have had a bit of a search, but not sure where to start with a couple of decent routes. Thinking maybe one day doing trail centre stuff – Laggan, (does the red have chicken runs on the drops?) and a day in the wild – really not sure where to start on this.

Not too long or technical, but with a decent climb with good views and a fun descent. Any ideas?

Cheers.

rosscopeco
    Free Member

Gra: I stayed in Aviemore in late spring at a family gathering thing and managed to sneek out early one morning and did the old Badaguish XC route. It’s a relatively well worn loop which the locals obviously frequent. The LBS were really helpful when I phoned for some local advice. The winter snows had just melted so the rooty / rocky sections were super slippy, if you’re lucky (the weather’s been great up there of late) the trail will be dry and therefore really quick. I found the instructions spot on, albeit I had to stop and fish them out of my pocket several times to re-read them. TOP TIP: Don’t forget the ‘skin so soft’, the midges will eat you alive every time you stop.

http://www.magneticjunction.com/mountain-biking-at-badaguish/

slowoldgit
    Free Member

a decent climb with good views and a fun descent

Burma Road? With a route chosen according to the distance you want to ride.

Burma Road, Abernethy Forest and Glenmore.

or

Carn Ban Mor, lower section of Lairig Ghru followed by Rothiemurcus trails.

Sorted 🙂

geoffj

Laggan, (does the red have chicken runs on the drops?)

Yes – although there are no big ones on either red.

theblackmount
    Free Member

Laggan Red has drops? Just get off and walk them…

Burmah Rd (original circuit) is good as a training run and it’s a big old climb but little more than an Estate Road bash tbh.

Some nice singletrack from Inverdruie>The Polchar (unnamed Lochan)Loch and Eilein> Loch Gamhna (East side)> on to Feshiebridge > Inshriach Forest and a whole bunch of way marked trails above Uath Lochan. Great views from the top. Loch Insh watersports centre does a decent pint / pub food. You cant really get lost in there so don’t worry too much about map reading.

Further over that way you can chain gang out to Auchlean, head South on the Singletrack East side of the Feshie then East on the Estate track before Ruigh-aiteachain bothy, bag the Munro Mullach Clach a Blair (circa 700m vert from the Glen floor and all rideable if you’ve got the legs / lungs)then double back on yourself over Carn ban Mor and on to Sgor Gaoith. Now we’re talking views 😉

Once up on the plateau it’s all easy riding. Descent is via the Foxhunters Path to Auchlean (Northern most of the two you see on the map after the trail splits)Quite technical in places but no shame in getting off and walking – esp if you are on your tod. You can park up circa 1 klik before Auchlean if getting out and back sounds too much. Don’t even think about Sgor Gaoith et al in anything but clear visibility if you can’t navigate.

Another: Glenmore>Ryvoan>Coire Odhar>Fords of Avon>East Glen Avon (few tech pitches but nothing really hairy)Inchrory>Dalestie>Torbain >Tomintoul>Kylnadrochit Lodge>Dorback Lodge>Braes of Abernethy>Ryvoan>Glenmore

gra

That’s great, thanks for the suggestions, I’ll check those out. Going with Mrs Gra so need to keep away from anything too technical, but as long as bits are walkable that’s great. Cheers for the Skin So Soft tip rossco, I hadn’t thought about that.

theblackmount
    Free Member

>Going with Mrs Gra so need to keep away from anything too technical,<

In that case I’d steer clear of my second and third suggestions. 😉

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Couple of days in the Cairngorms, advice please’ is closed to new replies.