Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Coupla questions… Old Zipp wheels and 650c sizing…
  • psychle
    Free Member

Spotted these for sale whilst browsing away, thought they might be an 'interesting' and bling addition to my road singlespeed (just picked up this morning, already being tempted by things to tart it up! 😳 )

Not sure on the age of them, but guessing over 10 years old (I'm thinking around '97 from the decals?) Built on to Hope Ti hubs, so good quality there? How do Zipp (and carbon rims in general) hold up over the long run, do they wear out (guessing yes?) Would these be worth taking a punt on for £200?

Also, could I just fit 650c wheels to a road bike running 700c wheels??

cheers STW 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

can i hear you say fleeex ….

about as confidence inspiring as not having your stem bolts done up !

psychle
    Free Member

really? I thought they'd be reasonably stiff? Their real job on this bike will be to mainly 'look good' tbh, they'd be going on a £200 fixie/SS road bike I've just collected… though I will be 'training' on this bike (ie putting in some good miles over winter around London) 🙂

whytetrash

can't see the reach being long enough for your brakes if the frame is 700c sized TBH fella

aP
    Free Member

If you're riding a fixed with I assume long cranks – ie 170-175mm you'll be getting a lot of pedal scrape when using 650 wheels, which isn't very sensible in traffic.

righty
    Free Member

If you're riding a fixed with I assume long cranks – ie 170-175mm you'll be getting a lot of pedal scrape when using 650 wheels, which isn't very sensible in traffic.

errr how when they are smaller 🙄
    anyway as above brakes wont reach without using some contraption, plus if its a proper fixed wheel then the rear spacing will also be different to these wheels

PJ266
    Free Member

On the floor righty, not toes on the front wheel 🙄 😛

Hairychested
    Free Member

Brakeless fixie will be fine. How expensive is your dentist?

njee20
    Free Member

errr how when they are smaller

Because smaller wheels = lower BB height = more pedal strikes. Fail. 🙄

The brakes won't reach, you're talking about a similar difference between 26" and 700c, even if they did, the braking on carbon rims is attrocious, and not even remotely suited to a urban winter commuter!

Brakeless fixie, if the dropout spacing matches they'll be alright.

MrSmith
    Free Member

are you starting to realise why they were £200?

they look like tubs not clinchers too.

trail_rat
    Free Member

craik being is that you cannot tension the spokes up wildly as they have a tendancy to pull through the rim ….

they have a low spoke count

Ive rebuilt a set for a customer because they were flexing like **** with new DT aerolite spokes – and they were no better afterwards – the rims are fooking garbage – light powerful smooth riders need apply.

they were fine for my mate euan who is 9 stone wet – he sold them to dave who is about 15 stone – talk about jelly

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Coupla questions… Old Zipp wheels and 650c sizing…’ is closed to new replies.