Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Council Tax – Summons for non payment of council tax
  • xc-steve
    Free Member

Just curious where I stand, read this before having a go!

Me and the Wife moved into the ground floor flat of our building on the 1st of August we moved out of it to move into the basement flat on the 27th of September, and all's well.

After a month or two I eventually got round to sorting council tax out, as thought it pointless telling them as soon as we moved in on the ground floor only to move the next week (landlord said it would be a matter of days till we could move downstairs but turned into weeks). Anyways

Phone COuncil Tax people who eventually get back to me to sort out my back payments etc.

Explain to them I lived in one flat for said period then moved into the downstairs flat, they say they'll get back to me with payment etc.

They do this I pay more for a couple months to recoop the back payments this I'm happy with (assuming I'm also paying for the ground floor flat payments as well).

However today I get home to find this letter saying they've summoned me to court from non payment of my tax whilst living in the ground floor flat.

Now I'm happy to pay this amount (would have preferred a nicer letter saying pay of we'll summon you to court etc first). But whats really annoyed me is that they're charging me £60 extra just to summon me.

Is this their mistake or do I have to pay the £60!? As I say I'm happy to pay the tax just not the fee!

TomHill
    Free Member

I dropped a proverbial earlier this year and thought I was paying Council Tax via DD, when I was actually just not paying at all. Ahem.

Got a summons. I phoned up, was v apologetic and offered to pay the full amount immediately. The woman I spoke to removed the summons "admin" charge without me even asking her to, and said it was standard if someone offered to pay before the court date.

Lesson learned, and DD definitely set up now! I'm in Leeds BTW.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘Council Tax – Summons for non payment of council tax’ is closed to new replies.