Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • Could you get any more boring…?
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

Don't anyone tell ro that my next bike with have drop bars, skinny tyres and hydraulic discs!!!

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

get back to daydreaming about lives you'll never lead; experiences you'll never touch.

lol. Yeah, because one day I too wish to sound like a sanctimonious gap year student. Don't worry mate, mummy's probably got a gold star all ready for her little soldier.

james
    Free Member

"try getting your 5" travel super-forks and disc equipped piece of carbon crap sorted when some component fails half way up a pass into cambodia. no-one here rides that techno-nonsense because most of the asian riders actually ride mtb's in mountains"

You could ride a road or touring bike 'in mountains' but it wouldn't make it a mountain bike. The design brief for (most*) 'MTB's would seem to be for better performance (and enjoyment) as a means to sell bikes, rather than ultimate reliability (that would 'seem' to where long distance touring bikes fit more?)

*apart from say rigid SS's/fixies

As you pointed out:
    "it's very difficult to get bike bits out here"
    Perhaps thats why they don't have 5" carbon FSers in the first place?

oxym0r0n

ro:

RealMan
    Free Member

V brakes run through pads quicker anyway don't they. So they probably do need more maintenance then discs. Also most discs are self adjusting, where as V brakes aren't.

zaskar
    Free Member

V-brakes has its place-who told they were naff?

I won't use them as I want stopping power and reading the instructions of disc brakes-well it was a piece of cake but I am experienced with hydro brakes on cars and motorbikes.

It does make me wince reading about problem after problem but thats what the forum is for-to help each other too.

I think I went round one stw poster's house to show him how easy it is. Not everyone is Einstein.

V-brakes are crap in the wet or dented rims, descents etc I hate my roadbike brakes.

In dry summer xc races, V-brakes are ideal, everything else they are naff.

backhander
    Free Member

Cambodia?
    You are gary glitter and I claim my £5.

Wanna be in my gang?
    F*** no.

cynic-al
    Free Member

LOL @ Heathenwoods

willy
    Free Member

ro you sound like an absolute f*cking w*nker!!!!!!!!!!!!!! like full on c*ck bag!!!

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Woody
    Free Member

LOL @ willy – finally someone said what everyone else is thinking. Well I was anyway. Good work fella

MrKmkII
    Free Member

ro, you are a pretentious idiot swayed by a notion of retro-chic. may i suggest you get some rod brakes? keep it reall!

ro
    Free Member

there. tell me you don't feel better already.

you had an opportunity to shout in (almost) unison, to feed the mtb community spirit and to dish it out to the ignorant and the profane.

y'see, you DO need me. i'm the evil side of mountain biking, the horrid spotty child you wish would go away, the osama bin-laden to your international security forces.

having said all that, discs are still boring.

now, shall we talk about frame materials? i need another gold star from my mummy 🙂

Edric64
    Free Member

If I was in a remote part of the world then I would go for simplicity ie cable brakes and basic thumbshifters .As I don't ride in Cambodia or anywhere else remote I don't need to be a luddite so I use modern kit (most of the time)

ro
    Free Member

backhander…

if you want to make dumb comments, feel free, but fyi glitter was in a vietnamese jail, not cambodian, where he would still be if the bleeding-heart souls in the uk hadn't petitioned for his release. were you one of them?

and – correct me if i'm wrong – he now lives in the uk in considerable comfort and luxury. no compensation was paid to his victims by this multi-millionaire, despite a court order to do so. nor was that compensation order enforced by the british courts, despite assurances to the contrary.

yeah, garry glitter, a real giggle. and he's all yours, babe.

Edric64
    Free Member

It's funny that on a cycling forum ro lists their interest as running not cycling which probably explains their view on cycling components maybe they know more about trainers and Ron Hills…?

breakneckspeed
    Free Member

Disc brakes – loads of power a control easy to modulate – vastly reduced stopping distance – low maintenance but technically complex (at least compared to most cycle components) – reliable in all weather conditions
    V Brake very simple although can be a bit of a dark art to get set up right – powerful and controllable (once set up right) but not as effective for modulating – more physically demanding (arm pump on long technical downhill) – need more anticipation and longer braking distance – especially in the wet – need frequent adjustment and replacement pads (I used to go through a couple of rims, each end, a year when I commuted)
    I ride both on a regular basis all year round and enjoy using both – off to change pads & adjust cables on the SS

backhander
    Free Member

if you want to make dumb comments, feel free, but fyi glitter was in a vietnamese jail, not cambodian,

Didn't he live in cambodia for quite a long time? Why was he there I wonder? I'd exepct you to be able to recognise dumb comments, you do a nice line in them yourself.

where he would still be if the bleeding-heart souls in the uk hadn't petitioned for his release. were you one of them?

No.

MrKmkII
    Free Member

i'm sorry ro, idiot was a bit harsh. but please, stop thinking you are somehow enlightened, and everyone else is in denial – it jsut won't wash! for the record, i have cantilevers on one bike and the work fine. for me 😆

EDIT = oh my, i take it all back, after that gary glitter rant. i feel embarressed for you 😳

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

What's 'Ro' short for then? Ron/Roland/Rob/Rocky…what?

I'm not arsed about brakes, I've gone over the bars with vees & discs!
    What's 'Ro' short for then. (don't do the 'cos I've got little legs bollix either)

flamejob
    Free Member

You should all know better than to feed trolls.

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Could you get any more boring…?’ is closed to new replies.