Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • could it be possible to make tyres/inner tubes out of kevlar?
  • racefaceec90

have been wondering if it would be possible,if it is (why no one hasn't done it.) p.s i know that you can get strips that you put inside the tyre. i mean actually incorporating the kevlar into the tyre/inner tube itself.

aracer
    Free Member
    racefaceec90

thanks aracer. 😳 i think what i'm trying to get at is why cannot tyre companies make tyres that are completely puncture proof.(i know that you can get puncture proof tyres,but they weigh a ton as they are so thick) couldn't they design a tyre that incorporated kevlar weave (that they use to make bulletproof vests e.t.c) but make it light as well. that was what i meant.

james
    Free Member

I thought folding bead tyres were kevlar?

cullen-bay
    Free Member

because its not the tyre that is puncturing normally, its the tube, and so no matter what the tyre is made from, if the tube is being pressed between the earth and the rim, it will puncture!

Kahurangi

Yes, 'kevlar tyres' refers to the bead being made from Kevlar or aramid (Kevlar is a trade name for a type of aramid) as opposed to wire bead.

Anyhow.

Don't UST tyres and some others use a kevlar layer to try and attain some puncture proofing?

aracer
    Free Member

Did you not actually try following any of the links? Do I need to make it easier? Try clicking on the first hit.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

conti protection tyres have a kevlar belt IIRC

sq225917
    Free Member

Get latex tubes and get use to topping them up every 3-4 days, I haven't flatted in years, XC or downhill and laugh at Ghetto tubeless.

njee20
    Free Member

Well having been tubeless for nearly 9 years I've not had a single puncture bar a couple in races, and laugh at the idea of having to pump up tyres every 3-4 days. I can also run lower pressures, and save weight!

Kevlar tubes would surely not be airtight?!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Kevlar is a thread, If you weave it it'll still have holes that let thorns through. to make it puncture proof it would need to be thick enough to snap the thorn or at least entrap it, which is why thyer so heavy.

bullet/stab proof vest's are usualy armide fibers woven into a cloth with soething a bit more cheep/light/flexible like polyester/nylon. With a layer of something shock absorbing behind it like ceramic/VPD etc.

Contary to popular belief (aka Hollywood) they'r only designed to stop you dying, if you were shot whilst wearing one you'd still more than likely be lying on the floor with several broken ribs screeming like a little girl.

wwaswas

tubes need to be stretchy too…

(no I've not followed the link)

njee20
    Free Member

Mythbusters did some pretty impressive tests on bullet proof vests, but frankly I'd rather not be shot at all!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘could it be possible to make tyres/inner tubes out of kevlar?’ is closed to new replies.