Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • Could i run a 10mm spacer under the crown race on my forks?
  • racing_ralph
    Free Member

Just to see what 10mm extra travel will feel like setup wise? or am i missing something?

Onzadog
    Free Member

It wouldn't work as the steerer tube flares so the race is a tight fit. If you put a spacer on first, the crown race isn't going to stay in place and will move back and fourth on the steerer.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Erm, is the inside face of the crown race tapered to fit onto the bottom of the steerer tube? How is the race going to sit square, & how is the race not going to crush & lock up your bearings when you tighten the stem cap if you add the 10mm spacer?

Just a thought.

goodgrief
    Free Member

you can get extra thick crown races for this purpose, on-one used to sell them IIRC

racing_ralph
    Free Member

sorry – not made myself clear – not to ride just to sit on and get a feel.

Onzadog
    Free Member

It might work. The question is whether or not you can get the spacer to fit over the bulge at the bottom of the steerer.

goodgrief
    Free Member

why not just put the front wheel on a plank of wood or similar?

muddydwarf
    Free Member

As Onza says, it'll be difficult to impossible to fit a spacer over the bulge at the steerer bottom.
    Why not measure the depth of the bulge – say 5mm – then add a 5mm spacer (for example) to make up the required overall distance?

Just don't bloody ride it like that unless you want to bugger up your headset and/or steerer tube!

racing_ralph
    Free Member

no fear of riding it like that!!

khani
    Free Member

goodgrief – Member
    why not just put the front wheel on a plank of wood or similar?
    POSTED 3 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

^ ^
    what he said, find out the axle to crown size on the forks your thinking about, subtract the sag and lift the front tyre up on a book or some wood that amount to see how it sits

druidh
    Free Member

Rob – is this for the mmmbop? Would you like to borrow a High Stack bottom cup to try ?

scaredypants

10mm ?

FFS, just let a bit air out of your back tyre to feel the MASSIVE difference right away

racing_ralph
    Free Member

druidh – didn't know they did one? that would be ace – how deep is it?

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

I think they're 10mm bigger than the low stack unit, got one on my cannondale HT.

cynic-al
    Free Member

WTF are you going to find out by sitting on it with a 10mm higher front end?

iain1775
    Free Member

look out up there, if your raising it 10mm I hope you dont suffer from vertigo

Junkyard
    Free Member

as other when you factor in your sag you are talking about 6-8 mm difference. If you can notice the change then I have a test with a lot of beds and a pea 😉
    Ps i think it will work to test as will plank but it is next to no difference IMHO

singlespeedstu

You got an air fork on it?

Just put a few more PSI in that.

You do ask some daft questions on here.

foxyrider
    Free Member

I am afraid I'm with the rest – I don't think you'll notice it just sitting on it. I noticed 120mm and 100mm on the handling whilst out riding but I don't think I'd notice the diff. just sitting on it sorry 🙂

showerman
    Free Member

just mr ralph trolling again with silly questions,still whip his butt on a downhill 😉

racing_ralph
    Free Member

I am trying to ascertain whether 10mm more travel plus 10mm headset cup will feel better. The 140mm Fox talas feel too short – too much weight on my hands (read the post regarding carpal tunnel). WTF it is to do with some of you i will never know!!

singlespeedstu

WTF it is to do with some of you i will never know!!

So why ask on a public forum then…

partyboy
    Free Member

Why not but a whopper of a front tyre on and let the rear down a bit, at least youd be able to ride it.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Stu i asked could i do it not what your **** opinion is, ok?

singlespeedstu

get you big boy.

kiss kiss. 😆

lipseal
    Free Member

I've got a 10 mm crown on one of mine and it makes no difference to your hand problem, trust me I know.

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

shorter stem to move you back a little? or a higher rise stem?

singlespeedstu

How about asking your wife as she might have seen someone looking a bit shadey outside a shop in the peak that had a 10mm spacer in their dodgey looking car. 😉

*waits for childish email from big boy rob*

racing_ralph
    Free Member

if i was married a possibility, as i am not …..

singlespeedstu

if i was married a possibility

Oh so i'm still in with a chance then.

*polishes up chatup lines in a northern accent.*

cynic-al
    Free Member

thought of a 10mm spacer rob or is that not.complicated.enough?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

How is something solid going to give you an idea of how extra travel will feel? Depending on the fork, 10mm extra travel may not even mean the head tube is any higher anyway

racing_ralph
    Free Member

al thats my original question

singlespeedstu

Watch out with the answers he doesn't want to hear or you'll be accused of twatism. 😆

Pieface

Hi-rise bar?

transporter13
    Free Member

a better idea would be to try a pair of marzocchi's

iirc they are longer a-c than most other brands

feel free to laugh and point if im wrong

or even if im not 😛

druidh
    Free Member

Rob – just ignore them. Your question has as much validity as most turrets questions or those about head angle, crank length or frame material.

crikey
    Free Member

🙄

If you've got too much weight on your hands, try setting your bike up properly, getting your weight properly spread over the bike.

Fannying about with 10mm is pissing in the wind.

takisawa2

Your post said "run" a spacer, so most folks probably assumed you wanted to ride it like that. From a practical viewpoint, the steerer would be thinner 10mm up from the crown race dia, & hence a bit weaker. You could get some sort of part turned, that would sit on the crown race & slim down to the req' dia 10mm along. Not something I'd do, after seeing a colleagues forks snap on some steps after he tried something along these lines many years ago.
    10mm would probably make a bit of difference on some razor sharp race ht, but not a 5-6" FS bike. (IMO obviously).

racing_ralph
    Free Member

crikey – Member

If you've got too much weight on your hands, try setting your bike up properly, getting your weight properly spread over the bike.

Fannying about with 10mm is pissing in the wind.

How do i go about doing that? Shorter stem?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Could i run a 10mm spacer under the crown race on my forks?’ is closed to new replies.