Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Could a large earthquake ever hit britain
  • kaesae
    Free Member

Evening.

By large I mean 6.5 to 7.5 on the richter. Isn't it a lot more likely that because of all the mining especially for oil that earth quakes will occur a lot more frequently.

After all doesn't the oil act as a large dampening unit for the crust, what woulds happen if a large piece of crust suddenly broke of and sank?

This is from my other thread but I thought you would be more likely to help me research it.

I've been having more of my crazy thoughts.

As I said the earth must realign its self to the cosmos and to do this it must tilt on it's axis.

Which is what it appears to be trying to do!

http://www.breakingnewsandsport.com/chile-earthquake-knocked-earth-off-its-axis/6191050/

What if this and all the other large scale earth quakes are just signs that this event is drawing closer.

Look at it this way, if we are seeing an increase in massive earth quakes and eruptions and also extreme weather it's because there is pressure building under the earth’s crust.

The magnetic north is also moving,

http://news.nationalgeographic.co.uk/news/2009/12/091224-north-pole-magnetic-russia-earth-core.html

We can see from every day events that there is something happening under the earth’s crust.

Are we to believe that these events and climate change are not related? That the amount of energy that is being produced at the centre of the earth has no effect on weather patterns?

Some of the energy that the core of the earth gives off will be in the magnetic and electro magnetic spectrum, it will therefore have an effect on physical matter.

I want to investigate what's happening. Why let a bunch of government lackies tell us what's going on.

I know I'm a brain farting idiot but I'm still prepared to have a go at finding out.

We all know that something is happening, I will stop mucking about and investigate this, for once single track will you work together to see what we can find out?

zaskar
    Free Member

Some strong but not too destructive in Ferry Meadows based in Peterborough with damaged roofs being the worst.

Sounds like someone rolling their wheelie dustbin out!

Wasn't there a constructive zone between England and Scotland?

I dunno but I ran out of my house when the Earthquakes have happened!

kaesae
    Free Member

zaskar are the earth quakes happening more frequently and how much longer is their duration, a lot is being made about the intensity and nothing about how long they last.

Surely the amount of energy being released is decided to some extent by how long the quake lasts. How exactly does the richter scale work, anyone know?

molgrips
    Free Member

Umm Kaesae.. do some reading up and you might find out why none of what you wrote makes any sense!

By the way there are a fair few experts on STW in various subjects like climate and geology. They are already good at finding out 🙂

kaesae
    Free Member

Hey molgrips.

I've taken your advice and did some reading, turns out umm isn't an actual word?

That shows what you know!

I don't want to do loads of research, as you have said there are a lot of experts on here with years of knowledge and understanding.

I would simply like to add my capacity to investigate the situation and analyze information from an unusual perspective to the mix.

What's the point in me starting from scratch, when all I need to be able to do is ask the right questions.

That said here are three questions just now.

1) Are there forces within the earth’s crust or core of the planet, that we can determine from observing the frequency, intensity and duration of events like earth quakes or eruption and also tsunami like occurrences, that are increasing?

2) Is there a correlation between the increase in how frequent these events occur and the increase in unpredictable or extreme weather aka climate change?

3) Have events like this happened before in the earth’s past and if they have would they have left a trace anywhere that we could use to study the frequency intensity and duration of the event. Either in geology or similar sciences?

I don't need to be an expert all I need to do is ask the right questions, I would love to research this but I have more work on than I can do as it is. The bottom line is I have no time!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I've just read this :

Our great country will become a true seafaring nation, as it sails majestically around the oceans of the world, and a new era of British sea faring dominance will have begun.

Truly brilliant 😀

You've set the bar pretty high luked2, I wouldn't be in too much of a rush to match that again
    …….although I'd be delighted if you did 8)

Edric64
    Free Member

I don't think so.

Lots of little earthquakes due to the country slowly springing back into shape after having been squashed by lots of ice during the ice age (no, not last Winter).

Called isostatic response

john_drummer
    Free Member

earthquakes are nowt to do with oil, or lack of it. Or coal, gas or any other natural resource.

Apologies if I oversimplify it, but I'm not a geologist…

the earth's crust is made up of lots of plates which move around over the hot bit, the mantle. What makes them move is the convection currents in the mantle. Some plates are moving apart, others are moving together, and some are sliding along parallel to each other.

Where the plates are moving apart, new crust comes up from the mantle in the form of lava. Best example is the mid-Atlantic ridge, where the North American plate and Eurasian plate are separating. The results here are mostly underwater, with the exception of Iceland and its many volcanoes.

The Hawaian islands are right in the middle of the Pacific plate, so you wouldn't expect any of this to affect them – except that there's a "hot spot" under the crust where magma bubbles up to the surface quite slowly (in comparison) to create "Shield volcanoes" like Kilaueia and Mauna Kea (sp!). This is how this particular island chain is being created

where the plates are moving together, one dives under the other – this is a subduction zone – occasionally "sticking". When they unstick, they do so very quickly, creating an earthquake. Further away from the subduction zone, the crust buckles up to form mountains. Sometimes in those mountains, the crust cracks right down to the mantle, allowing magma to seep to the surface to form a volcano like Mount St Helens, Vesuvius or Mt Etna.

Where the plates move parallel to each other, again they often stick, and when they unstick, you get an earthquake. I may be wrong but I think the San Andreas fault in California as an example of this

There are earthquakes & volcanoes happening all the time; it's just that these days with 24 hour multi-channel TV, we get to see more reports. No more or fewer than normal, they're just being reported more/better

molgrips
    Free Member

Kaesae

1) No. Geologists look at timescales of millions of years, so a few in a couple of years is nothing. It's impossible to deduce global geological trends in a human lifetime or even thousands of lifetimes. All we have to go on is the geological record. There have been periods of high volcanism in the past and low volcanism, but I would think that earthquake activity would be very hard to determine from the geological record. Big earthquakes can only be found in the past from either historical records, if there are any, or from the things that they cause eg giant mudslides, mega tsunamis etc.

2) I would say no, see above. Climate can change at least locally in a few hundred years, or even 50 or so. Geology has a vastly longer timescale, which in itself would tend to steer us away from any link between the two. A couple of billion years ago though it was a different story – volcanism created lots of Oxygen in the atmosphere and also water, which allowed life to evolve. But that took a long time!

3) In the geological past, all sorts of things have happened. A few earthquakes in a few years is absolutely postively nothing compared to what's gone before!

Re oil and gas extraction – this sort of thing produces small tremors as the rocks settle where people've been digging, but you'll admit that whatever humans can do is absolutely minute compared to forces that can demolish hundreds of thousands of homes in a few minutes, or raise the Alps from the floor of an ocean.

djc1245
    Free Member

There was quite a big quake in Folkestone a couple of years back. Caused £1000,000 worth of improvements.

I'll get me coat.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I've been having more of my crazy thoughts

Finally I can say I agree with you.

I want to investigate what's happening…..We all know that something is happening, I will stop mucking about and investigate this….I don't want to do loads of research

you really are a confused individual aren't you

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Could a large earthquake ever hit britain’ is closed to new replies.