Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Coughing up blood – Is that bad?
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I have had a bit of a cold recently and on the Swinley ride on Sunday I had trouble breathing. Coughing a bit today too and just noticed there are blood specs on the tissues.

I doubt it is TB but certainly not normal. I am guessing and a scratched throat of similar. I have a couple of major meetings tomorrow and then up to Northumberland Wednesday, Thursday and Manchester Friday so unlikely to get to a Doctor this week.

I am guessing drinking stuff to sooth the coughing is my best bet. What does the STW massive recommend. I have heard that most cough medicines are designed to make you cough rather than stopping you.

So far I am fluctuating between warm coffee and cold Duval depending on the time of day.

jon1973
    Free Member

it’s either a chest infection or the Bubonic plague.

TheBrick
    Free Member

phone NHS direct

loddrik
    Free Member

Definitely see the doctor. I have had a really bad cough for I’ve two months but not seen blood. Get it seen to!!

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Call NHS direct at the very least. Could be something nasty.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Jon – No, I am fairly sure it is a scratched throat. I can put my finger on the bit of my throat that hurts.

NHS Direct – Answer – go to your doctor. Err, no. It is probably just a scratch or tear from coughing and breathing cold air.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I think it depends were the blood comes from, lungs = not too good. Throat (very likely)= nothing to worry about. Constant coughing can rapture blood vessels I believe. I wouldn’t worry too much. I am not a doctor.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Go see a doctor.

It is probably benign but should be assessed properly.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

ernie – We concur.

Now what to stop me coughing? Preferably something discrete enough to use during meetings and at work.

Will go to the doctor next week if it is still an issue

TheBrick
    Free Member

NHS Direct – Answer – go to your doctor. Err, no. It is probably just a scratch or tear from coughing and breathing cold air.

So you have phoned them, people qualified to make a remote judgement have told you to go to a doctor, you don’t like the answer so have come onto a biking forum to get the answer you want?

HTFU it’s nothing, what doesn’t kill you e.t.c.

allthegear
    Free Member

Well, they used to prescribe morphine as a cough suppressant….

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

No I haven’t rung in this instance. It is just every other time they have said either go to the doctor, call a doctor or go directly to hospital.

They seem a little over cautious.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Now what to stop me coughing?

Southern Comfort. The liquor soothes the throat, whilst the high alcohol content kills the bugs.

Well that’s my story, and I’m sticking with it.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

WCA – you have been told by a doctor to go and see a doctor. Do it.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

morphine – thanks. A voice of sense at last

I will go and see a doctor but right now I just want to suppress the cough.

Torminalis
    Free Member

Sad to hear that WCA, hope you get better soon. I find that Dalwhinnie can cure most ills.

Rorschach
    Free Member

One of my friends is a pro windsurfer-he ends up coughing up blood everytime he does tries one of these http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvxITJXAzGI .He’s still alive-ish.

Woody
    Free Member

No I haven’t rung in this instance. It is just every other time they have said either go to the doctor, call a doctor or go directly to hospital.

And the other times they have sent an ambulance…………..?

anagallis_arvensis

listen you world class plonker it could be lung cancer, might be best to see a dr asap.

kevin1911

I had this last year – had a string of chest infections, and would be coughing up blood after strenuous rides (well, as strenuous as my rides ever get). After various x-rays and tests, the consultant decided it was most likey just a blood vessel that had been aggravated by the chest infections that had popped by the heavy breathing and coughing during excercise.

So it’s most likely nothing, but definitely worth getting checked out.

K

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

listen you world class plonker it could be lung cancer

He’s has a stinking cold and has been coughing up crap for several days. Yes it could be cancer in the same way that a headache or stomach-ache could be. But you don’t seek medical advise every time you have a stomach-ache.

PeteG55
    Free Member

Definitely better safe than sorry, get it checked.

anagallis_arvensis

righto

iainc

WCA – had this a few times. I did go see Doctor and thankfully it was nowt serious, but deffo worth getting checked – better safe than sorry….

philconsequence
    Free Member

you were seriously struggling to get air in those lungs yesterday mate… might be worth popping to the docs as a just in-case! seemed like more than just a cold the way you were breathing and describing it, fingers crossed the doc tells you its all gravy and to get out his office so he can examine some boobs, but worth getting down there i’d say old bean 😐

EDIT – Torminalis, email me, i have propositionz that involve more than humorous kitties

nicolaisam
    Free Member

I had a cold and cough,After 2 weeks,and coughing so hard it made me sick,i went to my local Hospital to get it checked out as it was the weekend,I was then taken by Ambulance to another hospital where i was put on oxygen,and was told i had Pneumonia,I was in hospital for 6 days and had to have 6 weeks off work,Apparently if i had gone to my doctors after a week,they would have diagnosed it and give me Antibiotics which would have cleared it up in 7-10 days

KT1973
    Free Member

I get it often from Aircon where I work. Usually from my nose. Not too worried, but if you’re bringing it up from your chest it’s a different story

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

coughing blood get it checked out. NOt necessarily a 999 emergency but you need to be checked over. Lots of things it could be

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

A few years back, chatting to a surgeon he suggested port, strong enough to kill germs but not too strong so causes no more damage…always seems soothing to me as well 🙂

Macavity
    Free Member

If you suddenly stop coughing you may want someone to check your pulse and breathing.

poly
    Free Member

If you had a wonder medicine that stopped the cough reflex you would probably drown in your own mucous!

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Still alive. Sloe vodka stopped the coughing. Gargling salt water stopped the bleeding but ruined the vodka

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Coughing up blood – Is that bad?’ is closed to new replies.