Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • *cough* tyres *cough*
  • lovewookie

I know, I know, but I feel the need for some advice..as I’m pretty fussy.

I’m after a new rear tyre, something that will grip well in mild wetness, but roll well in everything else, reasonably light too, under 600g ideally.
    Needs to be fairly small too. Not got a lot of clearance, a 2.1 crossmark fitted fine, so anything up to a 2.0-2.1 should be OK. 2.2 enduro’s didn’t fit properly and buzzed when I was out of the saddle.

Oh and not nobby nic expensive(though I may have to bite the bullet there)

What I’ve tried on this bike.

Bontrager ACX: too draggy and doesn’t grip sideways
    Maxxis Crossmark: not bad, no grip at all when it’s part worn though.
    Spesh enduro 2.2’s: great grip, good rolling, buzzed the chainstays.
    Michelins, several michelins, all felt too stiff, the sidewalls are not very supple.
    Conti mountain king supersonic: shyte, in all ways
    Conti gravity: good rolling, not bad grip, weighty.
    Conti vertical: great grip, not that weighty, draggy.

What I’ve liked previously:

Hutchinson Mosquito, no longer available
    Hutchinson python, though not ideally suited to muddy bits.

erm, Nobby Nic’s….bloody great on everything but hellish expensive.

Specialized S works team control and master (going back a bit)

So I’m heading down the line of Conti gravity/vapour, or specialized The Captain (if the 2.0 fits), or maybe panaracer trailraker? it may be a bit squirmy and slow on hard stuff.

Ultimately I know I’ll probably have to get a pair of Nobby Nics, but i’d rather go through the motions of eliminating every other possibility first.

🙂

Thanks

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

nobby nics from germany?

action sports

Raouligan
    Free Member

Trailrakers are pure mud tyres really that are great in all types of mud but are rubbish on hard surfaces. They’re my tyre of choice for the winterin Epping they just dig down and grip. For spring and dryer conditions, I’m quite liking Kenda Cortez, cheap and they just seem to work, not too draggy either whih is a surprise. They come in a range of sizes so you should find something to fit. I’ll probably move to a Small Block 8 when it get’s really dry on the rear.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    iainc

Nick – i have a 3 ride old panaracer fire xc pro 2.1, all black if you fancy for £20 – can bring along tonight if you are out ?

I use trailrakers on the rock lobster for Mugdock for about 8 months of the year, Fire xc pro’s for the other 4.

Cheers

thefallguy
    Free Member

try the captains, faster rolling than panaracer IMO, and I find them good in all conditions

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

actually scrap mi idea, with the current exchange rate crc are only £5 a pair more

lovewookie

may give them a go, do they come up fat for a 2.0?

thefallguy
    Free Member

spesh 2.0 much bigger than a maxxis/panaracer/schwalbe 2.0

owenfackrell
    Free Member

I would second the captains. I have used both the 2.0 and now the 2.2. I origanly got the 2.0 for a bike with reduced cleance on the back which 2.2 tyres buzzed the chain stay on and they gave me the cleance i needed.
    I really like them as a tyre and have used them for the last 18 months or so in places from wales to the peaks and down here on the southdowns.
    You can see the clearance on a pair of reba forks in this pic

mtbmatt
    Free Member

If you like the Nobby Nics then the Rocket Ron is worth looking at.

They come up quite narrow though, so 2.25″ ron is about the same size as a 2.1″ nic.

poppa
    Free Member

Definitely don’t get Trailrakers – dedicated mud tyres and very draggy.

james
    Free Member

A couple of suggestions

– Maxxis Advantage 2.1″ 62a/eXception (folding) = 595g
    Quite chunky (Chunkier at the edges), some ramps and roll okay

– Bontrager mud X (TR, folding) 2.0″ = 550g. Softer compound than ACX’s. Roll well for a mud tyre. More of a racing mud tyre than a trailraker so work well year round. Nice to have in wet summers. Only downsize is they’re not very big in volume so pumped up don’t give you a lot of give when trying to jump (even small stuff)

– Kenda Nevegal 1.95″ DTC-lite = 580g
    Kenda come up quite big so a 1.95″ should be about a 2.1″
    Not a mud tyre so do block up in thick mud but generally okay. Not overly chunky but lots of rolling ramps.
    DTC = Dual compound so harder on the rolling edge, softer edges

I’ve not used anything else similar that fits what you’re after or hasn’t been mentioned I don’t think

HantsNightRider
    Free Member

Maxxis 2.1 advantage.
    not quite under 600g, but folding 70a 2.1’s are £15 at crc at the moment.

squin
    Free Member

Fire XC Pro all the way. Considerably lighter than 600g and great in all but the very muddiest conditions – when you’ll need Trailrakers anyway!

lovewookie

Really didnt get on with XC pro’s, forgot to mention them.

May look into the nevegals, but will avoid the mud X’s. tried them before, not bad, but by christ do they drag.

I think I’m allergic to Bonty’s dual compound tyres, they ruined the ACX by making them dual compound, it just made them lose the bite and become draggy. Yeah they were better on rocks and roots, but they were never that bad on them in the first place.

meh.

organic355
    Free Member

squin – Member
    Fire XC Pro all the way. Considerably lighter than 600g and great in all but the very muddiest conditions – when you’ll need Trailrakers anyway!

How are they considerably lighter than 600g? I got a red pair and mine come in at 616g each.

I too am looking for something lighter, but love my Fire XC Pro’s

thefallguy
    Free Member

540g for captains and run em tubeless for even more weight loss

squin
    Free Member

Weight WeeniesOrganic – 544g on Weight weenies

Aramid Bead ones – mind you, tyres vary so could easily come in at 616g

james
    Free Member

“they ruined the ACX by making them dual compound”
    Which ones are dual compound?
    The folding/blackwall (nonTR) 2.2″ ones I had seemed to hard all over
    Are the TR ones dual compound?

organic355
    Free Member

“squin – Member
    Weight WeeniesOrganic – 544g on Weight weenies”

I must have just got a heavy set then, bugger. Mine are the Kevlar ones if that makes any difference.

tinsy
    Free Member

You like the Enduro 2.2’s Spesh tyres always size up huge, just try some 2.0’s…

I also like Adrenalines, and Fast Traks….

lovewookie

James, it appears that all the new ones are DC, not labelled on them as they were, unless they’ve just started using softer compound for them.

Draggier than before anyway.

Could look up some 2.0 speshes then…

nickc

Another vote for Maxxis Advantge 2.1. Been very impressed.

jim
    Free Member

While 2.1 ADvantages are great tyres I reckon they’re quite big for a 2.1, so might not fit?

joebickley
    Free Member

Hey, you stole my thread, i was about to post “what tyres should i get” post 🙂

I also just found a pair of Nobby Nics for £45 on ebay and by the time i could look to see if they were any good they had sold – rats!

My LBS recommended the captains although im quite tempted by the Racing Ralphs but im only doing XC

LenHankie
    Free Member

I’ll second Spesh Adrenalines ( now Resolution ). Folding dual compound 2.0 ones are light, fast and a great all rounder, though do clog in really thick mud, but then what doesn’t other than a specific mud tyre. Mine have lasted over two years in Spain, Wales, South Downs and Surrey Hills.

Would give The Captains a try too. Also on my list are Nevegals 2.1 DTC Folding.Have been impressed with them on a friends bike, and seem less prone to clogging than the Adrenalines in the same conditions.

james
    Free Member

“While 2.1 ADvantages are great tyres I reckon they’re quite big for a 2.1, so might not fit? “

Crossmarks 2.1″s are the same size (carcass), and he’s had those in before without a problem?

pushbikerider
    Free Member

If you’re after Nobby Nics for a decent price try

http://www.nextdaytyres.com

£27.99 for the 2.1, although you might have to drop them a line as they’re out of stock currently, special offers like free tyre levers too…

jim
    Free Member

Crossmarks 2.1″s are the same size (carcass), and he’s had those in before with problem?

Fair point. ADvantages would be good then.

hugorune

What about Maxxis Ignitors?

james
    Free Member

The 2.1″ is pretty small, the 2.35″ is over 600g and possibly won’t fit in the frame being a little bigger than a 2.1″ new tread maxxis

lovewookie

Cheers for all the suggestions.

I had a little measure of what will fit and what won’t.

My Crossmarks measure 52mm across the tread.

My Bonty ACX measure 54mm

My Spesh enduro 2.2’s measure 55mm.

The bonty’s are right at the limit, if you account for a bit of wheel flex and mud. I think 52mm is where I’m at.

I think 2.1 Nobby Nics are going to be too big 🙁

I’ve just found a £5 CRC voucher, so I’m stuck between Hutchy’s python, which I’ve ran and liked before, I managed to get them to work in all weathers.

Either that or I go for Larsen MiMo 2.0 70a compound(as quoted on CRC, but I can’t find them anywhere else) These are £15, less my discount.

so if they’re rubbish it doesn’t matter as they’re only a tenner.

?

Bimbler
    Free Member

What about Geax Barro mountain?

skiprat
    Free Member

Have a set of 2.1 ADvantages for the wet stuff and a set of Crossmarks for when its dry. Both look very similar size wise. Both less than 600g.

Bad as it sounds, check out ebay. Got a pair of ADvantage eXCeption for £22 plus post a couple of months ago (buy it now) and some Crossmarks for £25 plus post.

Both are cracking tyres!!

owenfackrell
    Free Member

I have checked my 2.2 and 2.0 ‘the captian’ tyres and the measurements are 55 and 52 as far as i can tell so you should be fine with the 2.0s and they are only £22 a pair.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘*cough* tyres *cough*’ is closed to new replies.