Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Cotswold dwellers – how is it riding now?
  • Leon
    Free Member

Mate and I thinking of heading up tomorrow to ride this route

http://singletrackworld.com/trailguide/uk/south-west/the-cotswolds/

But want to know if it’s going to be rideable, or just some horrid slog?

Cheers!

Leon

tang
    Free Member

Its very wet here atm. However, the higher trails are pretty stoney with little top soil, if any. It will be filthy though!

Leon
    Free Member

Filthy I can cope with. I don’t know the trails though, and want to avoid going on one of those rides where you push through a bog for 3 hours

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

Bottom of the valley horrific, bridleways very wet (if used by horses regularly then awful), top of the hill on the cotswold brash is ok but slippery, descents though woods vary from ok when stony to awful when you hit the fullers earth clay seam. I wouldn’t make a trip here unless you want a muddy slog – go south to quantock…

Leon
    Free Member

I think quantocks are too far. I’m in bristol and need to get home for 1 🙁 mendips is other option from here, but that will probably be awful too

PeterStarkiss
    Free Member

Leon,

Lots of rain here this morning so the ground is wet, having said that.

The section from Scrubbett’s Farm to Ozleworth Park will have surface mud initially where the trail is used by farm vehicles, after the first gate it’s a rocky surface into the valley and up the other side, it’ll be fine. Don’t over cook it, the bends tighten up, but a great downhill. Look out for the bridle path signs when you get near the house, you go right rather than going through the big arch into the courtyard.

Tyley Bottom is always wet and the trail can be tricky to follow, look out for the removable sections in the wooden fences going down across the first field.
    (If I was going that way I’d veer left past Fernley Farm and take the trail SW round Newark Park, good surface although there will be leaves and excellent downhill bouncing over rain bars, but I have the benefit of knowing the area.)

Back to the trail you want to know about, the high points around North Nibley drain well and you’ll be fine up there, pinch points or where horses have been will be a messy but nothing too bad.

The ride has plenty of tarmac sections to clear mud, as long as you have decent clearance between tyres and frame you’ll be fine, it’s only Tyley Bottom that will be boggin, so wear your winter boots.

Weather looking Ok tomorrow so should be OK.
    It’s a great area to explore, enjoy it.

Should say, I don’t mind the mud, once I’m out it doesn’t matter, so what I think is OK may differ to others !

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Don’t bother coming further north to Cranham there is a lot of felling going on there few trails are wrecked plus its very muddy in there.Why not go to the Forest of Dean!!.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Cotswold dwellers – how is it riding now?’ is closed to new replies.