Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Cotic X monstercross/650b
  • wassertreter
    Free Member

Still mulling over my build for the summer, after lots of reading it seems a monstercross build is what I want to take me from the front door to the (rough) gravel roads and single trails, and back home (have done road and mtb in the past).

The Cotic X seems to fit that bill, and I’m wondering if I could run it with 650b and proper mtb rubber (2.0in or so). Lots of the trails are very rocky, so you want all the volume you can get, especially with a rigid fork.

charliemort

I **think** but don’t know for sure that you may well have tyre clearance issues? isn’t it pretty much a cx bike?

worth looking at Singular Gryphon / Salsa Fargo I’d have thought if you want big rubber

wassertreter
    Free Member

The X is supposed to take up to 42mm, which is great, but I’ve found that I’m not a fan of big wheels plus big rubber when the terrain is getting tight. Trying to dial in the sweet spot for the conditions here, 650b+2.0, or 2.2 even, should be sweet.

marcinski
    Free Member

I had the same idea once. I contacted Cy and he said that 2in tyre wouldn’t fit between the chainstays. There isn’t any choice for smaller knobbly tyres yet. Shame really, I feel that 55mm BB drop gives too high BB for most riding you would do on this bike. 650B wheels would drop it a little.
    Marcin

wassertreter
    Free Member

marcinski, ah shame. Was that for the current iteration though? Think they upped the clearance a bit. Emailed Cotic too, one can but hope …

slparsons
    Free Member

Schwalbe do the Smart Sam in 1.75″ folding and On-One are doing them cheap(er).

I have a Fargo and whilst its well capable for the sort of riding I do, its ability to carry heavyweight touring loads probably means its overkill for most.

How about a Singular Pergrine?

marcinski
    Free Member

Schwalbe do the Smart Sam in 1.75″ folding and On-One are doing them cheap(er).

Sorry, I wasn’t clear. I meant smaller than 2in 650b knobbly tyres. I know about Smart Sam, I have 1.9 version on my Cross Check.
    Marcin

wassertreter
    Free Member

slparsons, Peregrine, hmm, I’m really after a sloping frame. Just been reading up on the Salsa Vaya too, which seems to have the clearance. But hey, the Cotic X has the greatest appeal if it can be made to work (unless there’s something more affordable) …

drinkmoreport
    Free Member

will the OP be running gears or SS?

wassertreter
    Free Member

drinkmoreport: 2×10 here in the alps ..

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Cotic X monstercross/650b’ is closed to new replies.