Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Cotic Soul with 36's
  • Amos
    Free Member

I realise the response to this thread would be “buy a bfe” but I’m just wondering if any one is running a Soul with float 36’s? If so can I get pics. I’m thinking of buying a soul and want know if it’s going to look totally ridiculous with 36’s set at 140 and instead go for a bfe ?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve a 456 with 150mm Z1’s which looks daft enough! I actualy like the short/chunky fork look though.

Amos
    Free Member

Yeah me too! I think it’ll look sweet but want to be sure 😉

geetee1972
    Free Member

You’re right you should be buying the BFe.

Apart from how it looks, why would you want to run 36s on a Cotic Soul.

Northwind

I’m not convinced there’s a lot of point. It’ll look good though I think but you’re going to be carrying around extra weight (and expense!), for not an awful lot of purpose. I used Revelations with mine and it was a perfect match. If you’re riding hard enough that the stiffness and strength of the 36s is worthwhile then yeah, get a BFe.

Amos
    Free Member

Because I’m selling my current frame and already have 36’s which I love because of their stiffness (Ooer)

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Someone I know ran Lyriks on their Soul. Not anymore, headtube and downtube cracked.

Amos
    Free Member

Yeah thought that might be an issue but I was intending on spacing them down to 130 or 140 so the leverage shouldn’t be any different than say a pike or rev or 32’s

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

At 130mm they would be ok, I think its the axle to crown which is key. 36’s are a bit taller than other forks (like pikes/32’s/revs) i think.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Because I’m selling my current frame and already have 36’s which I love because of their stiffness (Ooer)

That makes sense. Looks wise (which we all know are, but rarely admit to, being important) it’ll be fine, especially if they are white and the frame is Orange – that would be a lush combination.

Practically speaking, you’d need to check the A2C referring measurement that Cotic assumes when quoting fork travel at 140mm. The 36 has an A2C of 545mm at 160mm and therefore 525mm 140mm. I think that the 32 at 150mm has an A2C of 520mm. If that’s correct, then you shouldn’t have any problem runnin the 36s at either 140mm or 130mm. You’ll need the spacers from Mojo and the fork will have to be a Float, rather than a Van, otherwise you won’t be able to reduce the travel.

Amos
    Free Member

Geetee1972 thanks for that input, and you are quite right looks are important they are floats and are also White and will indeed look the nuts on an orange cotic soul, I’ve spaced them down to 140 before for a previous build so have the spacers, think I’ll give cotic a call and see what they say. There was an older post asking the same question but all the replies seem to have vanished….

mcinnes
    Free Member

already have 36’s which I love because of their stiffness

I understand what you’re getting at – the stiffness of 36s, once you get used to it, is quite remarkable.

I moved from a Genesis Altitude with Recons to my Bfe with 36s and didn’t notice much difference.

Then the other day I had to ride the Genesis on a North Downs day out as the Bfe’s drivetrain was mashed, and it really felt like the Genesis’ front wheel and fork were going to bend in front of me when we were zipping downwards on bouncy tracks (Telegraph Poles, for example).

No going back for me 🙂

But in regards to the OP, get a Bfe 😉

Amos
    Free Member

I think I will buy a bfe then, may call Mr. Cotic and see whether he’ll do me one in orange though..,,,

geetee1972
    Free Member

The blue of the BFe is really nice and also works extremely well with white, probably better than the orange Soul.

takisawa2

I ran one with a Pike. I think it was at 130mm in the pic below. I didnt like it. The stiffness of the fork made the back end seem very flexy. Mine was the older 130mm model, & run at 140mm it was ok. It rides far better with a Revelation. The BFe is the bike for a big stiff fork like the Pike/36 etc.

Soul-1 (2) by pten2106, on Flickr

accu
    Free Member

amos….
    really like the bfe…but not the blue and black…
    couldnt resist if there would be the option for an orange bfe…

Amos
    Free Member

Accu
    Yeah don’t know why they dropped the Orange Bfe? It looks lovely IMO!

There is a demo bike at Mountain High near me but they wouldn’t let me demo it on a sunday!?!?! Seemed a little strange to me something about not wanting people to take it to trail centres etc.? I could do more damage to it round here then Afan or Cwmcarn. Any how that one is in the orange so may have to tap him up and see if he’ll flog me it.

Northwind

You could always price a powdercoat job if the colour’s important. Cotic do vary their colours so if you’ve not already spoken to them, worth dropping them a line to see if there’s any variation due.

craig1975
    Free Member

Nowt wrong with the Blue, looks sweet and IMO better than Orange 😉

you’ll be surprised how comfy the new Generation BFe’s are too, I teamed mine up with a Carbon Seatpost and a 2.35 tyre at 35psi.. soaks up trail buzz nicely…

from todays ride

may last year

Amos
    Free Member

Craig1975
    What size is that mate? And how tall are you ?
    The blue is nice and I’m sure I can live with it but the mrs and nipper reckon the orange looks nicer and life is always simpler when buying a new frame if they like it 😉

tomlevell

I ran some 36 Floats on a Simple reduced to 115mm. They were ace but short lived as the new frame turned up for them.
    Now has 120 Fox 32 floats on which aren’t as nice but more sensible and lighter. Getting used to them now but not as good as the 36s.

IIRC the Soul has changed geom slightly from the Simple. I found 120 is the max I’m happy with but prefer it around 110mm ish travel.

140 would be overkill IMO. Making climbing a chore and downhill not much better if at all than at 130. Now if you ran them with loads of sag…

No pics sorry.

hora
    Free Member

As mentioned above- reduce your 36 floats- lovely forks. Mine are currently at 140mm with the same damping etc.

I don’t believe the ‘buy a bfe’. Why? Soul is now CEN? Why not the soul with 130 or 140mm 36’s? Lighten enough.

Not at 160mm though- its only 20mm- you won’t miss it and smoother riders than me or you can pin more on a lot less..

Think laterally-

Job done.

_tom_
    Free Member

The gritstone is more of a deep bluey grey –

(any excuse to show off the bike 😆 )

Amos
    Free Member

Tom,
    Why don’t you buy my Titus El Guapo frame off me as it’ll be spot on for your trip to BC and I’ll have your Bfe

Everyones happy! 😆

craig1975
    Free Member

What size is that mate? And how tall are you ?

it’s a Large(19″) and i’m 6ft.. and that blue looks even better in the flesh 😉

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Cotic Soul with 36's’ is closed to new replies.