Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Cotic solaris – What size??
  • J273
    Free Member

Im going to go for one of these as my next frame as i regretted selling my last 29er HT even though it was a tad racey (Dale flash 29er)

The dale was a large frame and fit fine and that was with a 90mm stem.

Im a shade under 6ft with a 34″ inside leg and undecided on whether to go M or L. I did contact Cotic who recommended a medium but I’m thinking that maybe on the small side.

For those of you with one what size do you ride?

Ta

J273
    Free Member

My current bike is a stumpy EVO which is a large and fits fine but comparing the two I’m still unsure on what to go with comparing the reach and ETT 😕

Solaris:

shaungero
    Free Member

I’m 5’11 and have a 27.5 soul in large and I find it perfect. If I were you I would go large too.

rOcKeTdOg

I’m 6ft 2″ with 33 inside leg. Demoed a medium & it was fine for messing about in the woods but any kind of distance & it felt cramped, I’d definitely have a large if I could find a S/H frame

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

I own a large Camber Evo. I previously owned a medium Solaris. 32″ leg 5’10”. The Solaris has a long Top tube.

Cheers

metalheart
    Free Member

I am just a fraction under 6″ and have a 33.5″ ISL.

I run a medium Mk 1 Solaris with a 65mm stem, 762 bars and a setback seat pin. I got one of the first batches (replaced it with one of the first of that green after incessant lobbying, read badgering, of Cy…)

Years ago, when I was getting a Mk 1 Soul, I went through a similar dilemma. But I’ve not regretted going for the recommended size (I’ve had five medium Cotic frames over the last 8 years).

If you read the numbers the real differences between the two frames are essentially 17mm on the ETT and 40mm on the seat tube. This means you’ll need to run a 20mm shorter stem on a large than a medium (depends on whether you like short or long stems whether this is a problem). I currently have a 350mm seatpin and this is too short, but fortunately I run a low saddle height through preference and just get away with it (you need 100mm insertion for warranty purposes) so you will NEED to run a 400mm pin if going medium.

The new frames are optimised for inline pins and I’ve not ridden one. I think it means a longer ETT length than mine.

The only drawback that I have found is that with my set up the front end on steep climbing is light. I had a very, very short shot (only ~150m on a v. steep uphill fire/forestry track) on my mates new large Soul 27.5 and found the front end more planted climbing. I’d need a more extensive go in order to come to a proper conclusion. This has been the same on all my mediums (but the Solaris suffers this the least IMHE).

In order to determine what size you’d prefer I’d say you need to work out what you enjoy most, what your intended use is and how you like a bike set up. If you are (and I exaggerate for effect) arse up head down stretched then large would probably be your thing. However the smaller frame will be more manoeuvrable (and lighter).

Unless you can get a demo on both sizes (or have an aversion to long seat pins or want a real short stem) I’d go medium. If you like a high saddle height and prefer a s-t-r-e-t-c-hed position then large might be worth considering.

Depending on the new frame colours I’m considering a new medium OFI in the summer….

Where are you based, can you get a demo/shot anywhere?

dalesjoe
    Free Member

I’m 6’3″ with 34″ inside leg (so long in body). I ride a Large and seems spot on. I bought it from Dales Bike Centre where Stu has a large which I rode. He agreed that the large was the correct size for me.

NormalMan

Same as metalheart here, just half an inch shorter ISL.

Also on a mk1 medium. 60mm stem and 740mm bars. Perfect for fun. For long XC rides I’d prefer a 70mm stem I reckon.
    (I’ve also noticed the light front end but only on really short and step inclines.)

But for how I use it, it is pretty much spot on.

davewalsh
    Free Member

I’m 5’11” and ride a mk2 large with 750 bars and 55mm stem. For me I think it is spot on but I do prefer a long frame. Actually I’ve demo’d the soul, solaris and original rocket in medium and large and preferred the large every time.

whitestone
    Free Member

I’m 5′ 10( and a half) and have a Mk1 large. Like dalesjoe I tried out Stu’s Solaris and I was on the boundary between medium and large. I run a short stem – 35mm.

oxym0r0n

I’m a shade under 6′ and ride a medium mk 1 with 80mm stem, straight post and 710 flat bars. I like the chuckableness of it but still stretched enough for racing…

J273
    Free Member

Right cheers chaps – It seems i could go either way but i want a more nimble frame so I’ve gone medium……Hopefully it’ll fit. 😛

One more thing – Having not built a frame needing an external cup Headset in a while I’m confused on what i need? Can anyone link me to the correct one to allow me to fit my new pikes?

Many thanks

mccraque

I’m 5’11 and on Paul from Cotic’s advice I’ve gone for the medium. It’s still in the box at the moment awaiting delivery of the parts I am going to be sticking on it!!

Cotic fitted the headset for me though. Went for the Cane Creek suitable for tapered forks…

davewalsh
    Free Member

I use a hope pick n mix in mine, you need the 2 top cup and H lower. Also they don’t come with top cap and spacers so you’ll need those as well.

J273
    Free Member

Is that correct 2 cups before i go order? I’ve a top cap and a few spacers in my spares so only really need the cups.

Thanks

jambalaya
    Free Member

Just ask Cy/Paul and get what they suggest

Frankers
    Free Member

I’m 6′ with a 33″ inside leg and ride a large, I can’t imagine riding a medium.

davewalsh
    Free Member

They’re the right cups 🙂

oxym0r0n

+1 Headset looks right

Rubber_Buccaneer

I thought the fashion for buying too small frames had passed?

metalheart
    Free Member

I thought the fashion for buying too small frames had passed?

You should take it up with the designer/company as the OP is going with what a) the Cotic sizing chart says for their height and b) what the OP was advised when he contacted Cotic direct on it. I’m sure they will be delighted to make your correction seen as you seem to know best. 🙄

benp1

6’3 here, 34 inside leg

I’m on a large with a 100mm stem. They’d stopped doing the XL when I bought my Solaris, would have preferred an XL for more room, then have the option to run a shorter stem.

I find the size OK, would prefer a bit more room (which would suit my style of riding)

kelvin

1) I’ve always found a medium 26″ Cotic a bit short, but found the medium Solaris bob on, personally (same height, shorter legs). I’d buy a medium… it’s not short.
    2) OP, did you mention your current bike when asking Paul/Cy about sizing…? As going by that perhaps you might prefer a Large with a shorter stem. You could ride either size, for sure.
    3) Hope’s codes… it’s a 2H headset, which is a “2” top cup, and an “H” bottom cup.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Seems odd you’ve gone with the medium since the large looks much closer to your current bike in terms of size.

roverpig

6′ with 33″ inside leg and I find a large Solaris with a 50mm stem to be spot on.

taxi25
    Free Member

I’d imagine the people who work at Cotic have a preference for smaller frames hence their recommendations. A friend of mine was told to go with a small soul, to me he’s a medium all day long, he’s happy though so what do I know. Personally I like bigger frames so 6ft 33″ leg its large for me.

whitestone
    Free Member

I’d imagine the people who work at Cotic have a preference for smaller frames hence their recommendations.

Sounds about right – according to their sizing charts I’m bang in the middle of the range for a medium.

SirHC

I’m 6ft with a 33inch inside leg, have a 400mm seatpost and its just about under the top tube/seatube junction. At some point I will probably move to a large size frame, as compared to my other bikes it feels a bit cramped.

metalheart
    Free Member

The main problem that we ~6 footers face is that we are really in between sizes. So the choice is actually whether we want a slightly too small frame (and run 10mm longer stem) or a slightly too big frame and run a 10mm shorter stem. There is only 17mm difference in top tube length between the two.

And lets not forget about how much seat pin you want sticking out, some people find the medium a bit short for this.

Which is kinda what I said in my TL;DR above… 😳

IIRC Solaris ETT was 10mm longer than the equivalent Soul26 (pre OFI). Which makes it better size for me…

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Im a shade under 6ft with a 34″ inside leg and undecided on whether to go M or L. I did contact Cotic who recommended a medium but I’m thinking that maybe on the small side.

You sound like me, except I’ve got a shorter inside leg.

I felt perched on top of the mk1 large I owned (50mm stem, 120mm forks) – I would have been interested in trying a medium for comparison. If I were to buy again I’d probably go medium, especially if the newer version is a little longer.

I say that, if long days in the saddle grinding up and down doubletrack are your thing, then go large.

mccraque

I’ll have some photos in the next couple of weeks…

But I’ve gone for a Yari Fork, 35mm Asym Rims on Hope Pro Evo4’s, 1×11 Shimano and 3.0 NobbyNic/RR combo. 740mm bar and 50mm stem.

Can’t wait to get it underway!

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Cotic solaris – What size??’ is closed to new replies.