Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Cotic sizing help please
  • wukfit
    Free Member

Although I shouldn’t be I’m looking at changing my HT frame, and due to many views on here, the kind of riding I do, plus what I’ll be building it up with (140mm fork) I’ve decided I want a BFE
    I’m 5’10” but my inside leg is only 31″ roughly, I like riding reasonably compact as a pose to lower limit of frame size, so what size should I bee looking for?
    Current life plan means as of October I will be unable to ride so hoping to find a second hand one to enjoy for 8 months before I leave

Northwind

You sound like a medium but would probably be OK on a small (I’m 5’10 with just a wee bit more inside leg than you and had a small BFe, it felt a bit wee… Got a medium Hemlock and Soda and they’re bang on)

wukfit
    Free Member

Cheers northwind,
    That’s what I kinda thought but wanted some experience views first,

Northwind

Whereabouts are you? Everyone on this forum has a Cotic, maybe you could try one 🙂

theendisnigh
    Free Member

You could email Cotic, I did that and they were happy to give advice.

wukfit
    Free Member

Live just outside southampton, don’t drive which heavily restricts my range though
    Do you think the small was too small on reflection, would a medium have been better?
    I also commute on my HT, 5 miles each way give or take, can do it all on or offroad so being comfortable on both would be good (although my 2×9 setup makes cycling to work on road rather painfull)

Scapegoat

I’m 5’11” with a crotch to floor inside leg of 34, and my medium Soul rides with loads of seatpost. You’d be fine on a medium. Ring Cotic, most helpful and sound advice.

CalamityJames
    Free Member

I am exactly the same dimensions as you and have a medium Soul with 70mm stem and inline Thomson. I tried mine with a 50mm stem at first but felt a little out of sorts, a bit too twitchy.

My mate has a small Bfe and it has more of a play bike feel when I’ve ridden it, like a big BMX. I certainly couldn’t ride more than an hour or two on that size frame, so if all day rides are your thing then go medium.

wukfit
    Free Member

Cheers scapegoat,
    I know it sounds daft, but I didn’t want to contact them asking all the questions, when ideally I’d be picking one up second hand,
    Or maybe I just treat myself to 8 months of fun before it gets packed away with everything else

Northwind

wukfit – Member

Do you think the small was too small on reflection, would a medium have been better?

I wouldn’t say too small, but yeah, medium suits me better. Very little downside that I could tell.

TBH some frames, you sometimes want to go down a size to make it more agile or flickable, some you want to go up a size to make it longer and more stable. These I reckon are the right size so no need to fanny around, unless you’re going for something out of the way like 4X or similiar.

Scapegoat

Cheers scapegoat,
    I know it sounds daft, but I didn’t want to contact them asking all the questions, when ideally I’d be picking one up second hand,

No, but Cy probably realises that if you get a used one, you’ll eventually treat yourself to a new one!

I tried mine with a 50mm stem and like Calamity James, find a 70mm much less twitchy.

mintimperial

5’10” with 32″ legs on a medium Soul here, 70mm stem. Fits lovely. 🙂

mattjg
    Free Member

OP I am a bit shorter than you and had a small, but could have ridden a medium happily – possibly I should have. I’d say you probably should be on a medium unless you want BMX stye chuckabiity above all else.

MoreCashThanDash

I’m 5’9 witha 31″ leg – ride one of the old mediums, based on Cy’s advice – he was spot on so mail them and ask

wukfit
    Free Member

Cheers everyone, really is apreciatted
    Maybe I do treat myself to a new one, sounds a bit lame but I’d rather have more choice of colour

mattjg
    Free Member

I prefer the look & slight extra flex (or so I read) of the Mk2 myself. I think the Mk3 lost a bit of what made it Soul-ly.

That said I sold mine anyway!

cubicboy
    Free Member

Not a Soul but a Soda in medium. I’m 6ft with 33in inseam. Perfect for me.

nickmsm
    Free Member

5’10 and a medium here. IMO a small would be too small, but it’s horses for courses I suppose.

wukfit
    Free Member

And I know no ones asked but this is where I wouldn’t be taking my bike

image by wukfit, on Flickr

Don’t fancy pushing it up, and don’t have the balls to ride down

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Cotic sizing help please’ is closed to new replies.