Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Cotic Rocket Owners.. Quick QandA
  • passtherizla
    Free Member

Just ordered my Rocket frame.. no fanboi reason or anything just fitted the bill nicely and its pretty.

Can anyone explain to me how the combined rear pivot/brake mount works?

in this image it shows a small nut holding the seat stay pivot together, is this removed and a brake adapter put in its place to hold it all together? does that adapater fit flush to the frame? or are there spacers between frame and brake adpater?

thanks.

Rickos
    Free Member

You just need a normal IS disc brake mount. It bolts into the hole just behind the nut you talk about and another that’s just obscured by the axle.

Is that what you mean?

passtherizla
    Free Member

Maybe this image shows it better…

does the left bolt secure the brake adapter through the frame with a long bolt?? and then the furthest mounting point back is just normal.

or is there another hole that I cant see?

passtherizla
    Free Member

this shot form another thread on here suggests that there isn’t another hole further back…?

carrying on form above also… if it is held on by a long bolt do you remove the nut that is shown in the first image?

davewalsh
    Free Member

To me, it looks like the nut is only there to hold everything in place and should be removed when the adaptor is fitted.

passtherizla
    Free Member

thats what I was thinking dave… so the adapter fits flush to the frame…?

theendisnigh
    Free Member

dave is right. I’ve got one.

passtherizla
    Free Member

excellent… thanks.

metalheart
    Free Member

Yup, the bolt gets tossed. Otherwise it would foul the rotor…

I’d like to tell you more but unfortunately the day I built it I was suffering a two bottle red hangover and had to pass that task on to someone less fragile…

passtherizla
    Free Member

cheers fella, I will be building it myself, over a fair period of time so have every opportunity to get it right… going to send it to a LBS to have the headset cups fitted. The rest should be plain sailing.

metalheart
    Free Member

Get them to clean out the threads on the bottom bracket too. This was also a task I passed on as feeling too fragile, I was scared I was going to strip the threads being hamfisted… There was definitely paint residue.

Why not get Cotic to fit the headset (either hope or nukeproof)?

passtherizla
    Free Member

School boy error… I have the top cup brand new unused from another project so thought I’d save myself a few quid. Thinking otherwise now.

how do you clean threads out?

metalheart
    Free Member

I didn’t. I actually built in the shop (now sadly closed).

Got the grease monkey to do it for me. And an excellent job he did too!

Just get the shop to do it same time as the headset (has the b/b been faced?). You may not have the same problem but the cups were sticking on the way in and I didn’t want to force them.

My Solaris was the same, shop ran a thread cutter through it just to clear any excess paint. Just as well as it was a bit tight on that one too!

passtherizla
    Free Member

Ah ok so it has to be chased with the appropriate tool… Just googled it. Will get them to chase, face and fit headset then… The rest should be within my know how.

skiboy
    Free Member

I have to highjack the thread and ask people not to post pictures of their rockets.

It makes me go all wobbly ,it sure is pretty and I will end up buying a frame.

metalheart
    Free Member

PTR: Yeah, that’s what I thought :mrgreen:

I’d recommend not drinking two bottles of wine the night before you start it though…

You need to think about cable routing, etc. nothing major, just think it through first. When I did mine it was the first one out of Cotic and there were no pictures other than official ones (and I had some of the demo bike). Worked out all right in the end!

Have fun 😀

passtherizla
    Free Member

is there any literature that comes with the frame with ideas on best cable routing etc…? or is that just silly of me?

metalheart
    Free Member

There should be an owners manual but it doesn’t give any help re. cable routing. I have a PDF copy if you want?

The gear cable route under the shock (I’ve zip tied mine just to keep them neat). You should be able to get the jist of things for the rest of the photos on my Flickr site. Or indeed others. Try searching for cotic… If not I could take some more (specific) photos if necessary.

passtherizla
    Free Member

Ooh yes please, email in profile 🙂 be good to know what I’m going to stumble across before hand, so I can order any bits I need.

metalheart
    Free Member

PTR – YGM mh

passtherizla
    Free Member

Thanks had to laugh at the headset section… More than a little misleading. It says it takes a zero stack 44mm cup and the below in the headset you need section it quotes you need a ec34 top cup.

davewalsh
    Free Member

PTR, you must be reading the ‘tapered’ headet section which applies to the new Soul only. You need to be reading the ’44mm’ section which applies to the Rocket. Zero stack 44mm top cup required:
    http://www.cotic.co.uk/geek/44mm

passtherizla
    Free Member

Yeah but it’s the rocket manual in PDF format… Surely it should only contain info on the bike it’s for? I know what headset I need… Thanks

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Cotic Rocket Owners.. Quick QandA’ is closed to new replies.