Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Cotic Rocket Max offset bushing
  • fr0sty125
    Free Member

Does anyone know if you can you run the Cotic Rocket Max with offset bushing in 29r mode?

amedias
    Free Member

Well if you already own one you can do the measurements and work it out…that’s the only safe way to do it even if someone pops up here and says it 100% works for them it might be different for you and your component choices, a mm or two can mean the difference between clearance and contact.

If you don’t own one then it’s a weird question to ask?

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Well I definitely would like 5mm clearance at least. I’m sure if people tell me their tyre pressure, rim and tyre I can work out if it would be ok for my likely setup.

The reason I wanted to know is that I’m thinking of getting one and running it with 160 forks but would like to drop the bb a bit and slack it out a bit more.

jekkyl

if only there was some way of contacting the company that makes them 😉
    https://www.cotic.co.uk/contact/

amedias
    Free Member

The reason I wanted to know is that I’m thinking of getting one and running it with 160 forks but would like to drop the bb a bit and slack it out a bit more.

Trying not to be an arse here…but it does surprise me when people say things like this because it implies you’re either trying to make it into something it isn’t/should be looking at something else instead, or even worse, trying to make changes the geometry of a bike you haven’t even ridden yet to know if it needs/would benefit from said changes. Maybe it’s just me but I’d want to have some hands on time in the default configuration before I start making changes, if only to have a baseline to compare to.

Well I definitely would like 5mm clearance at least. I’m sure if people tell me their tyre pressure, rim and tyre I can work out if it would be ok for my likely setup.

Personally for something like this I wouldn’t trust other (random) peoples numbers, but I’m pretty sure Cy or Paul would give you an idea of how much room there is to play with if you called them to chat.

Could you achieve close to what you want with an angleset instead? It would avoid any potential clearance issues at the back, you’d still get some BB drop, although a bit less,the only issue being a slight steepening of an already fairly steep seat angle.

chiefgrooveguru

Could you achieve close to what you want with an angleset instead? It would avoid any potential clearance issues at the back, you’d still get some BB drop, although a bit less,the only issue being a slight steepening of an already fairly steep seat angle.

I wouldn’t say the seat angle was steep – quite the reverse actually! The only potential issue with an angleset is it’ll require an external upper cup, so along with the 160mm 29er forks you’re looking at a lot of stack height. So, the suitability depends on how high you like your bars?

I did quite a bit of messing with a stock frame with anglesets and fork lengths, and after a year odd of experimentation ended up back at stock geometry! But my other frame diverged from stock to shorter at the back and slacked out at front after a few years of riding.

amedias
    Free Member

I wouldn’t say the seat angle was steep

I was thinking of the Rocket at 74deg*, just checked and you’re right the Rocket Max is slacker at 73deg.

So OP, if you are intending to run with long forks an angleset might be the better option, would keep the seat angle reasonable (offseet would slacken it more) and allow you the extra at the front. Caveats with external cups accordingly but may or may not be an issue depending on bar and stem choice.

*that might not be steep to you but it is to me
    **+/- half a degree here or there depdending on fork length

chakaping
    Free Member

Drop them a line, there’s a good chance they or their race team have tried it out already.

it implies you’re either trying to make it into something it isn’t/should be looking at something else instead,

OP may have decided the Rocket is almost exactly the bike he wants and has probably demo-ed one already. That’s the conclusion I came to, but sadly there’s no easy way to reduce the seat tube length.

I have gone for another bike for that reason, but I’d prefer if it was made of nice steel and had the Cotic suspension set-up.

Not sure about the bushing but when I talked to Cotic I’m sure the max fork length the frame is warrantied for is a 150mm.

chiefgrooveguru

Cotic just extended their warranty to cover 160mm forks on the Rocket Max and 170mm forks on the Rocket (27.5). That applies retrospectively, so you can up-fork an older bike if you want.

amedias
    Free Member

OP may have decided the Rocket is almost exactly the bike he wants and has probably demo-ed one already. That’s the conclusion I came to

The cynic in me read it as the OP looking at the numbers online and deciding they needed modifying before even riding it.

But I’ll admit that I might be being overly cynical and I probably jumped to that conclusion based on having had exactly such a discussion with a chap* last week 🙄 (not about a Cotic though)

* It was infuriating, he was convinced that the bike rode like crap and needed to be a deg slacker, a bit lower and about 20mm longer, yet he’d never actually ridden one!

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Thanks for all the suggestions, I did get in touch with Cotic and they said I might be able to get away with one bushing. For clarity, before I made this thread I had ridden a Rocket Max on a couple of occasions including on my local trails. There is a lot that I like about it and how it feels I just thought it could do with the BB dropping a bit. I would still like to here people’s experiences if they have any.

Anglesets actually don’t give much of a BB drop especially on bikes with a longish front centre I think it would drop by about 2mm going from 65.5 to 64.5. Also an anglesey with add even more stack on top of an already long head tube. My other thought is going with a 150mm fork up front instead of 160.

I probably should just shut up, buy one and then get fettling and see what works.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Cotic Rocket Max offset bushing’ is closed to new replies.