Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Cotic Roadrat mech hanger
  • marcusr
    Free Member

I know there are some Roadrat owners out there..

I just received a Roadrat frame but I’m missing the gear hanger. Anyone know where it is located when sent, on the frame or in the little plastic bag with the other bits?

Customs have appearently opened the box and if it was located on the frame it might have fell off or something.

Cotic can’t answer until tomorrow and I really want this resolved ASAP. Can anyone please help? I wanna build bike NOW.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Hi not sure whether it helps but it’s not really a gear hanger as such. It’s integrated into the chain tug. I’d expect it to be in the bag if anything as there is no way to attach it to the frame without the wheel being fitted.

marcusr
    Free Member

I think it does help! I know it’s a combo thing and have seen a picture of it, but I was thinking there might be a way to actually fit it to the frame. But if there is not, without the wheel, I guess they owe me a chaintug/mech hanger. Which is much better than customs stealing it, where it would probably be lost forever.

Thanks!

woody2000

Not related to the missing piece as such, but a word of advice.

Get some puncture “proof” tyres – changing a rear wheel flat on a geared Roadrat is (for me anyway) a royal pain in the ass. You end up with the rear mech and what have you flapping around after you’ve removed the wheel and then you’ve got to get it all back on again. I never figured out how to do it easily in the 5 years I had one, changed it for a Kaffenback in the end.

Don’t forget the rear wheel has to come out backwards when you need to remove it, if you’re running full length guards, you need to mount them accordingly.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Never got one with mine…..

woody2000

Never got a hanger, or never got a puncture t_r? 🙂

brakes
    Free Member

mine came with one in a bag with other bits.
    I could probably ‘lend’ it to you if you’re desperate (and assuming I can find it).
    the frame is just hung up in my shed with no foreseeable use for it.

marcusr
    Free Member

I realised it might be tricky but never even thought about the guards..

Anyway, I’ve bought a pair of those Schwalbe Marathon Plus, and they better be BOMBPROOF cause they’re incredibly hard to fit and get off. Fitted them yesterday and my thumbs still hurt. Add to that the the Roadrat rear wheel trouble and I really really really hope I won’t get any flats..

trail_rat
    Free Member

Hanger , puncture, strava kom

It is comfy thouh

AdamW
    Free Member

Contact Cy/Paul and see if they’ll send you one or sell you one.

trail_rat
    Free Member

With guards just mount them about the same distance as the drop out is long from then tire at the rear, wheel will slide back without any issue

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

I really miss mine, I thought it was great fun, but I was running it as a singlespeed so not so much of a faff to change tyres.

marcusr
    Free Member

re brakes: That is very kind but I’m thinking Cotic will be able to send me one?

Trail rat: You didn’t want one?

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

the frame is just hung up in my shed with no foreseeable use for it.

Can I ask what size? Not that I’m interested or anything, you understand…

woody2000

Definitely comfy. And as it turns out, makes a pretty good single speed “cross” bike 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

Alfine innit.

Its a commuter , id rather flog my self with tree branch than maintain deraileur gears

brakes
    Free Member

Can I ask what size? Not that I’m interested or anything, you understand…

it’s a medium short (for drops) in orange, they don’t make them anymore you know. not that I’m selling like. after selling too many frames I wish I’d kept, I vowed to never sell a frame again… not that I like it that much but it is a versatile frame.
    I’ve got visions of building it up as a single speed multi-terrain crosser type bike, but not for a while.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

I’ve got visions of building it up as a single speed multi-terrain crosser type bike, but not for a while.

That was pretty much what I used mine for – see pic above.

Mine was the large, short version. And I do regret selling it so totally understand where you’re coming from.

marcusr
    Free Member

This thread turned into someone completely different. I love the internet.

With several of you regretting you sold yours it makes me even happier I just got mine and even more bummed I’m missing the hanger..

marcusr
    Free Member

Just for future reference.. Confirmed; it should be in the plastic bag. Cotic will send me a new one.

beanum

Has anyone who had a RoadRat ever managed to run rim brakes on 26″ wheels? Would cantis work? My frame is unused at the moment too and I was thinking of singlespeeding it. I have some spare 26″ wheels but it looks like I need to either buy a set of 700c wheels or buy a set of disk brakes…
    OT sorry…

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

If you ran 26″ wheels you’d have to run disks on the standard setup.

You can get adaptors or adjustable calipers to run 26″ wheels on 700C studs…eg:

http://www.paulcomp.com/motobmx.html

..but to be honest it would probably work out cheaper to get a cheap set of disks or second hand 29er wheelset.

The BB would be really low with 26″ wheels so my money would be on some wheels.

beanum

Thanks SprocketJockey
    I didn’t know Pauls Components were still going! I was thinking of using it as a shop/pub bike so wasn’t planning on fitting boutique brakes to it.. Cheap set of wheels it is then!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Cotic Roadrat mech hanger’ is closed to new replies.