• This topic has 11 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by otsdr.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Cotic Escapade,Rear mudguard options with slotted drop outs ?
  • stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Still havent bit the bullet to order my frame yet , looking at the slotted dropouts, is their a easy option for getting wheels out with mudguards fitted ?

porter_jamie

Get a 10mm bolt through rear hub.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

porter_jamie – Member
    Get a 10mm bolt through rear hub.

Both sets of my wheels are standard QR`s 🙁

dufresneorama
    Free Member

If full mudguards, attach the rear stays using the little plastic safety clips you get on the front. Like the sks ones that break away or pop out if something gets stuck in wheel.

these?

nicko74

Do you already have the mudguard?

If not, check out something like the SKS S-Blade. It attaches only to the seatpost, so no issues with wheel removal etc.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Just leave the rear of the guard the length of the slot plus 10mm from the tyre.

The wheel slides back far enough for the wheel to drop out the drop out no bother then.

Used my roadrat like that for years

beanum

Slight thread hijack here as I’ve just ordered an Escapade frame and I’m looking for wheels. Where do you find a 10mm bolt through rear hub/wheel? The only one I can find is Hope but that means custom build. Most of the wheelsets I’ve found are 9mm QR or 12mm bolt through…

trail_rat
    Free Member

shimano hubs can be changed to solid axles

Ben_H

I have one of the first Duck Egg blue Escapades and use a 9mm bolt-thru on the front and a regular 9mm QR at the rear on Hope hubs. I don’t see the need for a solid rear axle, even with SS (use chain tugs) – and I previously used a normal 9mm QR at the front (just remove the cam and slot through after fitting the front wheel into the fork; see below):

In practice, removing fixed rear guards isn’t much of a faff, or you could do the above-mentioned SKS clips / removeable guards as a solution.

I recently built a lighter, more road-focused bike as a “replacement” for the Escapade – but couldn’t bring myself to sell it. I’ve since run it as a singlespeed (chain tugs, SKS Chromoplastics and durable tyres).

I’m finding that the Escapade still serves a purpose that neither my Cotic Soul or Kinesis 4S road bike can fulfil. So, I’m about to re-fit it with gears and flat bars, as the other two bikes won’t really cover off my family tagalong and touring needs. (Or I may just get a Roadrat if it rides badly with a long stem and flat bars).

It’s a very versatile bike!

woody2000

SKS Velo 42 guards – the rear has a little “kick” up that allows easy removal of the wheel. Coverage isn’t quite as good as a full guard, but they’re really easy to fit, cheap & sturdy.

D0NK

Just leave the rear of the guard the length of the slot plus 10mm from the tyre.

+1 did this with my pompy and day one disc, worked fine.

otsdr
    Free Member

@beanum: Actionsports offer their Fun Works hubs in 10×135, separately or as part of their wheelbuilding service; Novatec hubs are a viable option as well.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Cotic Escapade,Rear mudguard options with slotted drop outs ?’ is closed to new replies.