Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Cotic BFe – Assessment after week 1.
  • freeform5spot
    Free Member

Bike all set up nicely now and have been out a fair few times.

I just cant wipe this stupipd grin off my face!!!

I just dont think that I have felt so involved on a bike for at least a decade.

Have got 2010 36 Talas R's upfront with a 80mm stem and it climbs superbly. Excellent weight distribution and could go slightly shorter without losing any front end grip.

Also running a Joplin which has turned out to be one of those products that I cant believe I lived without! On the downs just drop it half way,. wind up the forks and it just goes! So well balanced and was very happy to remain clipped in to the pedals in every situation, even when I would normally unclip and just stand on teh pedal platforms.

Rode on well known trails this week to compare with the 5spot.

Got to say that it was quicker up and down than the 5spot. easily. It is also much more fun. Feel like I am having an affair now!

Also loving the Larsen TT on the rear, superb tyre.

Only thing that I am going to change on my set up is go up from 32T to 36T.

Well done Cotic. Its just about perfect (but please sort out the cable guides so they can run full outers!).

All this for £370 for the frame??!! Deal of the decade IMHO.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Good bikes, mine was 460 quid though so not quite as much of a bargain. Here it is, I finially took a pic of it for this very forum. Now single speed though, will no doubt change back to 1×9 after an xc ride.

Also, you could just drill your guides out?

I was going to when I got mine but I asked a chap at Cotic and he said shifting should be smoother with an open length of cable under the top tube, and it is!

Vortexracing

Used mine last night, absolute hoot with the Lyriks and 2.5 ST High Rollers on when pointing DH, bitch to climb though. Although it was purely to the daft choice of DH wheels and tyres. 😳

Glad your enjoying it

tails
    Free Member

davidtaylforth that looks like it was shot by dirt mag. Is that the 17.5" it looks odd compared to my 16" although it might be the colour. Nice chain guide.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Shot by dirt mag?

Yeh, its a 17.5, looks quite short though, I think my camera must have squashed the pic slightly.

Yeh, chain guide was a bargain, already had the back plate, got the LG1 bits off ebay for 6 quid

Vortexracing

BTW what size of larsen TT are you guys using?

freeform5spot
    Free Member

2.35" (non ust as they only go to 2.1 in that version)

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

2.35 single ply. It was cheap when I got it. Really good for xc and dh with 50psi in it. Its alrite for jumps too

Vortexracing

50psi

blooody hell I run 25 in my HR

hh45
    Free Member

Rode my new Soul 3x last Friday to Sunday and also totally pleased with it. I've been riding a Flux for the last 4 years and this is so much fun, surprisingly quick up and down and just fun. I know I'm behind the curve compared to most here in getting a hardtail but better late than never.

tails
    Free Member

Shot by dirt mag?

I mean photographed by dirt mountain bike magazine.

freeform5spot
    Free Member

still smiling!

2tyred

Me on the Glencoe DH track the other day 🙂

I use a 2.1 Larsen on the back and a 2.35 Highroller (backwards) on the front. Glencoe was the first time I felt I needed something grippier on the back, pondering a pair of Minions for days like that.

freeform5spot
    Free Member

does the 2.1" larsen come up big?
    using a non ust 2.35" at the moment as prefer the volume!

superfastjellyfish
    Free Member

I'm sitting here smiling for you freeform 😀

Minions work well, but 2.5" are a close fit! Mmmmm 2.3 Larson TTs you say…..

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Good aren't they?

Last summer

Wookster

AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH this is driving me nuts!I have mine on order just got some of the bits now from LBs, cant wait for the frame to arrive. fork due on monday hope to have the frame by next weekend for a evening of build and beer on friday!!! 😈

Vortexracing

Just ordered my 2.35 TT for the back off CRC, see if that speeds things up a bit.

crocodilian
    Free Member

I stuck a 2.1 Kenda Small Block 8 on my BFe, at the rear. It is super quick and probably comparable to a Larson or Crossmark. I have it in UST so it comes up slightly slimmer but so far it's working really well. It coped well with Aston Hill recently…as did the BFe of course. Don't get me started on the BFe, it really is that good.

XXX
    Free Member

I have a frame for sale over on classifieds….

mcinnes
    Free Member

Hello Bfe lovers 8)

Here's my new baby, picked up from LBS Freedom Bikes in Brighton yesterday afternoon.

I'm so excited I actually can't quite believe that she's here now, after a very long wait for the frame.

It's a deliberately big build weighing in at 31.4 lbs – I'm happy with that 🙂

Cannot wait to get out and about on for some hooliganizing – a pre-planned trip to Swinley on Sunday just for bedding in, but from there the world is our playpark.

Bring it.

CliveA

mcinnes – You need to get to the Alps, man. 🙂

Vortexracing

Those seat stays look so much thinner than on the earlier model

they look more like my Soul ones

shellac
    Free Member

mcinnes, what frame size is that? Ive had an extra weeks wait but that build is almost identical to mine. Medium blue frame arrives on Monday, can't wait!

Gotama
    Free Member

Just curious….

I've got a Dialled Alpine and wondered how they compare to ride? Anyone ridden both? The Cotics sure do look nice.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Just curious….

I've got a Dialled Alpine and wondered how they compare to ride? Anyone ridden both? The Cotics sure do look nice.

I had an older 17/22 Alpine for a couple of years. I bought a medium BFe cos I wanted a bike with a lower BB, longer top tube (cos i do quite a bit of xc now) and shorter chainstays (like my old dmr trailstar & bmx)

For dirt jumps and xc stuff I'd say the bfe is a better bike

Downhill, I reckon the alpine is better, felt like a proper weapon and its a bit less stiff aswell.

Depends what you ride, I ride more xc now than DH, and I also enjoy the odd jump sesh so I bought a bfe

Vortexracing

Yip had both.

Best way to describe them is that the Cotic I feel is more of an all rounder, with a lower BB.

The Alpine I thought felt a bit tall, ie for the same BB to top of seat length, the Alpine seat was about 20mm higher than the equivilent dimension on the Cotic. The Alpine was a bit comfier and on steep stuff was a blast. Very Planted and never felt out of it's depth.

I haven't tried the Cotic on steep stuff yet but a few guys on here claim they are very good as well.

They are both very good bikes IMHO.

It didn't help that the Alpine i had was a bit short in the TT for everyday use.

Sits back and waits to be shot down in flames 🙄

DTF beat me to it!!!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Golly gosh Im bored

mcinnes
    Free Member

Shellac – mine's medium. We ummed and ahhed about medium or large (I'm 6'1) but I'm soooooooo relieved we went medium, thanks to advice from LBS.

Gotama
    Free Member

Cheers, curiosity answered! Pretty much a downhill focus for me and its certainly a pot load of fun riding it. Taking it to the alps this year which will be interesting….

cy

Well this has put a HEEEOOOWWWGE smile on my face this morning guys. THIS is why I do what I do. Wikked and Bo.

Think the only question asked was about seatstays – new ones are 19mm round (bigger than the Soul) with a 32mm wishbone. Old one were 27×17 oval (effectively same as the chainstays) with a 35mm wishbone. New ones easily strong enough, and quite a bit lighter which helps offset the extra weight of the 631 tubes vs the older 853 front end. Also make the ride a little more civilised.

So, so, sooooooooooooooo glad you guys are loving your bikes. People waiting for Gritsone, I am so sorry we've had to wait so long for decals. They 'should' be here today and I'll get frames out ASAP, but if anyone wants there sans decals to get on with it, drop me a line and I'll sort it.

[reads thread again] Awwwww YOU GUYS!! 😉

speshstumpyworks
    Free Member

Mcinnes lovin the look of you bfe.
    I am 6'2" and your pics have finally made me decide to go for a medium size also.
    Would love to see the gritstone with decals though before I plump for a colour , seen it naked on the Cotic site and was unimpressed at the look of it with no decals on.
    Cy post a pic asap when the stickers arrive …sure it will fly out of the Cotic store/garage when the masses see it in its full glory.

It is amazing what the graphics can do for a frame especially that sweet cotic wrap decal …genius.

Northwind

crocodilian – Member

"I stuck a 2.1 Kenda Small Block 8 on my BFe, at the rear. It is super quick and probably comparable to a Larson or Crossmark. I have it in UST so it comes up slightly slimmer but so far it's working really well."

Try the 2.35, it's not much heavier and not really any slower as far as I can tell, except on mud/clay, but tons more volume and a fair bit more grip. Genius tyres.

crocodilian
    Free Member

I've changed again to Rubber Queens (UST 2.2) for a trip to Scotland that's coming up, loads of volume, they come up more like 2.35's! Love them. Here's some pics….

Oh yes, like the purple atlas bars? I can imagine 785mm bars on the STW forum has the possibility for much upset!

_tom_
    Free Member

I really want one of these or a Simple (since I already have a geared bike). They look so nice.

JonEdwards, that first pic is awesome!

Vortexracing

Just changing my tyres for some 2.4 Nobby Nics to see if i can shed a bit of weight and get it rolling a bit better.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Cotic BFe – Assessment after week 1.’ is closed to new replies.