Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Costco – tell me about it
  • muppetWrangler
    Free Member

We had a membership but found that the savings made shopping for just two of us didn’t really justify the cost of the membership. If you’ve a big family or can club together with a couple of friends then I reckon it’d be worthwhile but for us it wasn’t worth it.

tomhoward

One thing I used to find was id get home having spent £100 odd on stuff bought in bulk, but only bought 6 or 7 food items.

Remember once having smoked salmon and cream cheese bagels for nigh on every meal as it needed eating!

grahamt1980

Its way too easy to go in there and spend an awful lot of money on stuff you don’t need.
    As others have said in general stuff is cheaper, however it is worth having a good idea of what stuff costs before you go in, meat is good value as are cakes etc.
    Avoid the big pizza trays though, they are not that good, loads of dough for the amount of toppings.

jmason
    Free Member

Binners can I get condoms there? I get through an epic amount with my customers

You can’t make a statement like this without explaining more

Oh, and massive tubs of Haribo for £3.

Where is this Costco of which you speak ?

maccruiskeen

Binners can I get condoms there? I get through an epic amount with my customers

You can’t make a statement like this without explaining more

Hora is a children’s entertainer – he uses them for balloon modelling

jmason
    Free Member

Why does he not use balloons ?

maccruiskeen

Why does he not use balloons ?

he’s asthmatic

craigxxl
    Free Member

Not sure if anyone has mentioned but their meat is top quality too

sharkbait
    Free Member

on Saturdays every day they tend to embellish the CostCo experience with free food sampling

FTFY.

the savings made shopping for just two of us didn’t really justify the cost of the membership

Unless you’re Homer Simpson this is pretty much correct. Five in our family so it’s worthwhile.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

As above – the meat is great quality.

Whats its really worth doing at Costco is waiting for the offers then stocking up

180 bog rolls has kept us going for bloody ages.

evilsovereign
    Free Member

take a photo id card and get a visitor pass. you can’t buy with the pass , but you can look around to see if you like it.
    you can join as a member of the public, ie. not a trade, it just means you can’t go in, before 12 noon, with a trade card you can go in anytime from 9am , and take 2 guests with you. there is complimentary tea, coffee, and muffins etc. greeting you inside the entrance.
    considering its only about 20 odd quid a year, its well worth it.
    i’ve had a trade card for a couple of years, and its bril.
    eg. 5L container of domestos bleach £3.50.
    5L container of wonder wheels, the alloy wheel cleaner, £5.50. its over £7 in halfords for a litle bottle.
    the commisary (food court) is excellent. if you are having friends over for drinky pooh’s, you can get and 18″ freshly baked, piping hot pepperoni pizza for £7.99.

can you tell i love costco yet?

andyl
    Free Member

I think it’s about £20 a year for a personal membership. Will say on their website I’m sure.

Been a member for years as Dad gives me his second card. Also been a Makro member for longer but don’t go there since Costco was build in Avonmouth. The Makro has had a huge overhaul here and is better but still stuff seems cheaper and I don’t like the meat there.

In contrast Costco stuff is generally very good quality and stuff you would choose to buy eg they sell Dualit toasters, Miele vacuum cleaners, Mobil 1 oil, Bosch Silver bar batteries etc

The meat and food at Costco is fantastic. They have a butchers in store but always buy the British meat not the American stuff. The pork chops are amazing – huge and moist and tasty. The bread and cakes etc are also very cheap and good quality – get a roll of baguettes for the price of a single pack in the supermarket. Oh and the blackpudding is a must. All the food is stuff you get served in restaurants too.

Some of the stuff can be bought cheaper on special offer in supermarkets but when they have their special offers they won’t be beaten. We buy the 5l bottles of Fairy clothes washing detergent which costs less than a 1l bottle in the supermarket.

They do have some random stuff though and I don’t think the TVs are reasonable. Laptops are though and you will spend a lot more than you intended to.

Oh and the Pizza is great and only £1.65 a slice.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I bought 200 creme eggs (I know)
    Did you do that on purpose or was it a typo? My dad has started to do his grocery shopping online recently. The first delivery included 168 fishcakes and 60 kilos of birdseed. Luckily the fishcakes are quite nice, but he’s going to take a little more time to review the order next time.

On purpose 🙂 my wife loves them and they’ll be gone soon enough. You have to spend £20 to get free postage, it was my first purchase and I knew I could rely on creme eggs being okay.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Lol at 60kg of bird seed though!

The worst one I ever did was eight 1kg bags of apples rather than eight apples.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member
    maccruiskeen

Lol at 60kg of bird seed though!

The worst one I ever did was eight 1kg bags of apples rather than eight apples.

not sure how the bird seed thing happened, but with the fish cakes he wanted to order two packs of 4 fish cakes, then realised they were a two for price of one offer, so only needed to order one. He thought he’d deleted the ‘2’ and replaced it with a ‘1’ but instead he’d order 21 eight-packs

hugor
    Free Member

Costco is unbelievable. The meat is fantastic and the kiosk is great too.
    The chicken bakes are to die for usually followed up with a berry sundae.
    Booze is quite cheap too. Well worth 20 quid per year.

mav12
    Free Member

The warranty is exellent i returned portable tv after 3 years and a camera after a couple of years both faulty full refund given the cafe is ace to chilly jacket £1.50 tey had gortex merrels for forty odd quid last month the tools are good as well

iain1775
    Free Member

Funniest thread I’ve read in a while
    Personal membership (not trade) is £25, with a free 2nd card for your partner
    Just remember they don’t take credit cards on non trade accounts and if it’s a debit card has to be same name as on the membership card so only the member can pay for bulk family/friends purchases
    Never found it that cheap for most day to day things once you add the VAT, unless you are buying in massive quantities
    Meat is good quality though, and toys at Christmas, opticians is very good, and cheapish glasses/contacts, not bad for tyres either (Michelin with nitrogen fill)
    Not renewed my membership since they stopped selling their own brand nappies (identical to but less than half price of Huggies) that was main thing we used to buy
    I still use the card to get access to the cafe part though
    Chicken bakes and pizza, Nom Nom

solarpowered
    Free Member

Know your subject!

Things can be exceptionally worth while sometimes, but you need to know how much things are normally.Sometimes they just charge the same as ‘normal’ shops. Take a calculator. If you’re not careful you can get a bit carried away!

If you can store things ok in bulk it’s fab, but a lot of people just don’t have the space at home.

i love the place, especially when you get the money off coupons through the door 😀

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Costco – tell me about it’ is closed to new replies.