Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Cost of rewires these days?
  • smartay

hi all, looking at moving house with a view to updating the intended property, how much (ball park figure)for a four bed, 4x double sockets in bedrooms and lounge dinning room, kitchen and utility rethink layout so not included, electric showers. trips to suit full system

I know that replumb with new oil boiler will cost 5k ish, recently had our house redone

jimdubleyou

Depends where you live.

Our 3 bed in London Suburbs cost about £4k five years ago. I had ethernet wired through the house though.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

We just moved into a 4 bed 1970’s house and paid 1500 for more sockets, new consumer unit and general tidy up of the previous bodges.

Rate was £110 per new socket, £300 for the consumer unit and a few hours to rectify the bodges, that was in Reading and needed doing ASAP (quoted friday, started monday).

Does it need rewiring or just more sockets?

smartay

70’s build but probably needs tidying up of previous owners “updates and extensions”, spurs on spurs. willing to do channeling and mounting of sockets myself.
    Selling a house now needs a warranty or some form of paperwork with every job
    Based in Wrexham area

When i say 70’s extended at that time, original stone cottage hidden apart from thickness of walls in certain parts of the house

Just had aquick run through of possible sockets requird, staggeringly 40+ for future proofing

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Really? 40 Seems like a lot, we went upto 3 doubles in our bedroom, 2 doubles in the other bedrooms, a double in each corner of the livingroom, and plugs in opposite corners of the study and dining rooms. Probably 23 outlets in total , or did you count doubles ar 2?

They have to test it before and after any work ao they can identify which bodges are OK and which aren’t. We has such delights as a loft extension on an RCD but no fuse, and fuse board with no RCD!

Also asked him to put an extra RCD and trip in for the garrage for a future 30A supply once I get the homebrew setup.

Regretting not putting at least one or two ethernet cables in. I’m not sure how nececary they (the only non wireless device is the TV box) are but it would have free’d up sockets from the powerline addapters.

I was going to channel and fit the boxes myself, but we were busy and TBH he did a neater job and worked far quicker than I could.

rocketman
    Free Member

staggeringly 40+

rocket jr has that many in his room all off the one 13 A socket

smartay

looked at it again, and 40+ seems right
    16 (4per bed)
    2 landing/ hall
    6 lounge
    4 dining
    8 kitchen
    6 utility
    4 conservatory
    4 garage

footflaps

We probably have about 40 doubles in the house inc shed / workshop and outside etc. Still don’t have enough. When I bought the place it was about one double per room (cheapo rewire in the 80s).

northernmatt

We had our place fully rewired from the meter. New fuse board, sockets, lighting, the lot. All in was £2100, 3 bed house with 20+ double sockets, 8 rooms worth of light switches & pendants, outside light on PIR (now not working 👿 ), cooker point etc etc. Offered to do channelling myself but it’s only a days labour for a labourer so is only around £150 on the whole cost and it’s very messy job.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Cost of rewires these days?’ is closed to new replies.