Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Cost of plastering a room?
  • steelfan
    Free Member

Need to get my lounge plastered and I’ve had two quotes back which I think are a little steep. First quote £1250.00 2nd quote £1100.00

Its a 12ft x 12ft x 8ft and back to bare brick apart from the lower third on 3 walls because of some previous damp treatment and re-plastering. I also need the ceiling skimmed between the joists which have had plasterboard fitted in between them.

I was expecting around £800.00 mark but I could be wrong. What do the minds of STW think?

wwaswas

Just paid £600 for a similar job on a 3mx3m room including a bit of plaster boarding, ceiling skim and coving.

Darn Sarrf too so top whack.

I’d look further.

DezB
    Free Member

Where are you? I know a plasterer…

sandwicheater

Just paid £1200 for my office.

5mx7m including ceiling and that included having it all the walls/ceiling boarded/materials (lots of weird sections so wall wise a great deal more than 7m in length)

Vern0n
    Free Member

6-800 would be my guess even down sarf. I guess the skim between joists is a PITA though which maybe why the quote is on the steep side…

twoniner
    Free Member

Where are you? I know a plasterer…

This ^

pymwymis
    Free Member

Your quote is high due to need for lots of bonding coat required to match height / thickness of lower sections which remain. It’s hard work, requires skill, and takes time – has to be applied in layers. Depending on thickness you can easily lose a bag of bonding coat per square metre so possibly up £350 or more in plaster.

Your life would be easier if you had no original plaster on the walls. Then you could dot and dab the wall with aster oars and simply skim. That job would probably cost around £700 – £800 of which maybe materials £150 (multi finish is around £11 a bag at the mo).

Your current situation is about as difficult / expensive as it gets without getting into special aste types etc.

steelfan
    Free Member

I’m in South London.
    Its a little Victorian cottage and the brickwork is pretty uneven so I guess this could be why it costs so much.

the_prophet
    Free Member

we’ve just had a bedroom plastered, walls pretty bad after stripping skirting and picture rails, ceiling skimmed over and it came to £400.

Room was 3.6 x 3.8m for reference and based in Bristol

warton
    Free Member

we’ve got a room, with chimney breast, about your sizes, a bit higher, about 10ft. we’ve been quoted 600 quid, in newcastle…

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Not even Travis Perkins charge 11 quid for a bag of multi!!!

Quote is very high, but without seeing the job, nobody here can advise otherwise with certainty.

They’re both similar so they’re both either really busy, or don’t really want the job

duckman

Jebus,time to put my prices up,btw

possibly up to 350 or more on plaster

At £5.00 a bag? So the finishing will take 3/4 bags which leaves approx 60 bags of bonding on a 12,12,8 ft room.Were you one of the original quotes? Oh and multi finish is currently £6.15 a bag at b&q,cheaper at £4.79 for 5 bags or more.

robhughes
    Free Member

Don’t quite know what you lot are on about.
    Been a builder for 25 years.NEVER NEVER use bonding compound on ground floor walls.It’s a no no and not designed to go on brickwork at all.All that will do is soak up any damp that is in the walls and send it strait through.
    Method…sand a cement with waterproofer in the water
    2 coats.First is a scratch coat second rubbed up flat
    then skim.
    For a decent plasterer it won’t matter that your previous DPC work stays on as he’ll just work down to it with the floating then skim over the lot.
    That price is simply way over the top.£200 for materials tops.3 days work for 1 guy.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Absolutely nothing wrong with using bonding downstairs. I wouldn’t use it within 100mm of the floor mind. If you’ve got damp being absorbed by the bonding, the bonding is not the problem

pymwymis
    Free Member

Ok humble pie. Just re- checked my last bill from merchants and got multiples wrong (x2) so yes £5.00 odd for plaster = £175 not £350.

Robhughes, fair enough re ground floor requiring sand/cement etc. my bad,not enough attention to o.p.

So yes maybe £800……except you’re in London at which point all bets are off. In fact I’m surprised you got 2 quotes so close together.

robhughes
    Free Member

TheFunkyMonkey.It’s not designed to go strait onto brickwork ever.Especially ground floor.Who told you it was ok?.Whoever it was wants sticking on cowboy builders mate.
    Do a bit of homework bud.
    OP.Don’t use it if they offer to do it bonding.There is absolutely no reason to use it except for a quick way out for them.It WILL cause you problems especially as you have had damp in the past.

steelfan
    Free Member

OK so not bonding which I think means normal plaster? Sand and cement is best and then skimmed over the top.
    I guess I’ll be looking for more quotes in the New Year!

Thanks for all the info.

br
    Free Member

That price is simply way over the top.£200 for materials tops.3 days work for 1 guy.

That’s £800 to start with, and not taking into account that maybe he’s restricted parking/5h1t location and/or anything else we can’t see.

grantway
    Free Member

steelfan – Member
    I’m in South London.
    Its a little Victorian cottage and the brickwork is pretty uneven so I guess this could be why it costs so much.

Put plaster board up first then either plaster it or turn the board round and use lining paper ?

smiththemainman
    Free Member

If you can’t get it done for half that you are getting ripped off in my opinion, ask around the local seek and sell forum’s if you aren’t in the know, always good young lads starting off on their own. There isn’t many plastering firms that would allow their plasteres 3 days for that job!!!

takisawa2

Assuming you have informed the council too… 😕

Does sound a lot…
    Me…I’d take the opportunity to insulate it, then skim the lot.
    You’ll lose a few inches off the room dims, but I bet it comes out cheaper than building back up with bonding coats.

It’s a win win.
    In fact, you should send me cash, in used notes, for this informations.

robhughes
    Free Member

There isn’t many plastering firms that would allow their plasteres 3 days for that job!!!

O the general public.You do get ripped off don’t you.. 😀
    3 day job.
    1 day scratch
    1 day second coat+skim ceiling
    1 day skim walls.
    it’s only a small room and that’s for 1 guy.

smiththemainman
    Free Member

robhughes just basing it on three jobs Ive had done this year, two were only last week 25ft x 9ft ceiling I boarded, plasterer taped and skimmed billed 4.5 hours, and bathroom 10x10x10ft day one dot and dab all walls skim ceiling, day two taping and beading and skim room billed 16 hours, called in to see the guy, he was 68 years old didnt want a hand with out or a radio on just wanted to work.

senorj

@Rob Hughes if you’re available for work in north London in 2014 pm me .
    😀

robhughes
    Free Member

We do whole houses not just rooms smiththemainman
    Your talking about dot and dab…I’m not.that’s always quicker but who want’s to use that crap method.Again not suitable for ground floor with maybe damp problems.The only way to dot and dab ground floor is to use insulated plasterboard but then you have to fit a new wider door casing as the door will open into the room and you can’t extend the hinge side. Told you…… 25 years doing this stuff.

smiththemainman
    Free Member

Fair enough rob, it was insulated board to the external walls!!! Those 2 estimates wouldn`t be getting my hard earned coin!!!

robhughes
    Free Member

Neither mine bud..

steelfan
    Free Member

OK so I guess I’m probably getting ripped off!

One guy was a recommendation and the other was from checkatrade.

Time for a few more quotes I think!

robhughes
    Free Member

Yellow pages is probably the best.Try one with a smaller add as bigger add bigger price.
    We don’t have this problem as we have are own lads.
    senor j.Sorry bud but we don’t work for the public.We buy the houses. 😉

wilsonthecat
    Free Member

£1200 quid is a mental price for a room that size. For reference I just paid 460 for a room 13ft x 25ft. Two of the walls required two levels of bonding to get them level. That price included PVA, bonding and finishing coats.

I’m based in Notts

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Cost of plastering a room?’ is closed to new replies.