Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Cortisone injections / healing time
  • london_lady
    Free Member

How long should it take to heal or before I go back to the GP? I had one in my elbow on Monday and yes it has helped but I have had mixed responses when I have asked about the healing time. It has got better but there is still pain in the elbow itself. Not sure if I should go back to the GP next week……

footflaps

The elbow might feel a bit inflamed from the extra liquid in the joint which could last a few days.

bensales
    Free Member

I’ve had two recently in my foot for plantar fasciitis. The first before Christmas appeared to make no difference.

The second last Friday made the foot a bit sore over the weekend, but today it feels almost like normal. This is a big deal as I’ve been unable to weight bear on it for nearly six months. Not going to try running again any time soon, but I can see why the consultant was prepared to commit to a time frame. It’s because they haven’t a scooby.

footflaps

but I can see why the consultant was prepared to commit to a time frame. It’s because they haven’t a scooby.

Wife has one in her hip lining recently and her Consultant said that everyone is different, some have pain relief for days, some weeks, some months, some none..

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Was this for tennis or golfers elbow?

I used to do these a fair amount. They can take 1-2 weeks or longer to work… But mounting evidence suggests they aren’t brilliant as a long term treatment and my colleagues and I have pretty well stopped doing them.

london_lady
    Free Member

Its for tennis elbow. I have had a month of acupuncture & ultrasound but then the Osteopath said to go for the injection. I have just been given some exercises for it so will leave it a bit longer.

elliptic
    Free Member

I’ve had them in both shoulders for rotator cuff and bicep tendon problems.

Like footflaps and Stoatsbrother said, it’ll take a few days for the joint to settle down from the disruption and the cortisone to take full effect.

After that, bear in mind it’s not a magic healing agent by itself, it’s just a strong anti-inflammatory which stays active in the joint for two or three months. This buys you some time to heal and re-strengthen the tendon progressively while it’s in a less aggravated state. If you don’t do that systematically (ie do your exercises!) you’ll be back at square one when it wears off.

martinhutch

Its for tennis elbow. I have had a month of acupuncture & ultrasound but then the Osteopath said to go for the injection. I have just been given some exercises for it so will leave it a bit longer.

There was a thread on tennis elbow on here a few months back. Hopefully the jab will work out for you, but as others have said, it is the exercises that will most likely prevent recurrence.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Cortisone injections / healing time’ is closed to new replies.