• This topic has 5 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by DIS.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Correct Chainline for an Alfine: Chainlines for Dummies
  • Kahurangi

Hi All

I bought a 2nd hand commuter and have known all along that the chainline was ‘wrong’. The original owner put blingin’ carbon FSA cranks in a Singular Peregrine (erm) and an Alfine rear wheel.

Aside from the fact that the FSA cranks have the wrong chainline, look wring and I don’t have the tools to maintain the BB….

How do I go about getting the correct chainline?

I could get a Shimano HT2 chainset, but they look gopping.

I could go for something 2nd hand a square taper, but how do I know/calculate the axle spacing/chainring position?

Sheldon has some info
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/chainline.html
    on road cranks and chainlines.

Guessing (from the fact that that the FSA external BB has 3 spacers fitted) the Peregrine has a 63 mm BB shell.

A quick google suggests that the Alfine hub has a 42 mmm chainline.

So, er, what do I do with it now? Suggestions, links to shops, pointers and offers of 2nd hand kit welcome 😳

Cheers

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Assuming the Alfine sprocket is dished, the trick, apparently, is to turn it round so the teeth run further away from the hub, if it has the plastic guide, you will probably have to remove it. Alternatively get a Nexus sprocket. Just about to go through the same exercise with an 11 speed Alfine.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

nexus sprockets are the dished ones so you do get some scope to move chainline around

I seem to remember the alfine is 47.5 mm hainline as standard but thats from memory

Kahurangi

Assuming the Alfine sprocket is dished….

That won’t be enough. The chainline on the current chainrings are so far out… it’s set up with 2 spacers on the NDS and is still way off the correct chainline. Getting a dished cog won’t help enough. And changing the cog is not something I want to have to repeat. Getting the snap ring back in again cost me lots of time, very sore thumbs and a small amount of blood. I also want to change the chainset for something that looks appropriate for the bike (i.e. shiny) and to a standard that I have tools for; sq taper, octalink to HT2.

TJ – seen in several places it’s 42.7 mm. 🙂

http://www.madison.co.uk/productinfo.aspx?catref=FCS500C39S
    http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/shimano-shimano-fc-s500-alfine-2-piece-chainset-with-single-chainguard-170-mm-silver-prod17419/

On further consideration I might just get the Alfine chainset – they don’t look that bad…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

How do you measure chainline? I’llmeasure mine for you

Its just a stock MTB frame ( genesis IOID with a standard raceface crankset with the chainring in the middle,

a bit of misalignment don’t seem to matter anyway – I do have a 9sp chain on it tho

DIS

You can get a 17 tooth sturmey archer deep dish which on a alfine hub brings the chain line to about 50mm, however it is 1/8″ size, have a look at st johns cycles, works well on my alfine.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Correct Chainline for an Alfine: Chainlines for Dummies’ is closed to new replies.