Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Cornwall or Devon camping holiday destination ideas
  • jammiedodger
    Free Member

We are planning (albeit late) a camping trip to Cornwall or Devon in September. We have no idea where to go – neither of us have been since childhood. We have a week off work and wondered if anyone has any destination recommendations. We would like a close to beach location, with sea based watersports (e.g kayaking, surfing). We will take the bikes with us but do not need anything too technical when it comes to trails as I am only just getting cycling after breaking my wrist.

Campsite – smaller is better. Basic facilities. Pub in walking distance.

All ideas welcome. Thanks

trailmonkey

surfing location or biking location, pick one of two.

ime if you want surfing beaches at this time of year then head for the far west of cornwall and don’t bother venturing further up the north coast as its just holiday maker hell. sennen should be busy but just get to trhe next cove north which is gwenver and you can have it virtually to yourselves even in august.

if you’re heading that far down then i’d recommend the campsite that’s actually on the south coast at porthcurno just above the minnack. it’s a 10 min drive to sennen and a little longer to gwenver.

catsplums
    Free Member

woolacombe is always nice, there is a good but expensive camp site just past town walking distance down a footpath from the beach… lovely.

jammiedodger
    Free Member

Thanks – keep them coming 😀

snaps
    Free Member

I rode through Woolacombe today, great cheeky trail from this campsite to the bottom of Morte hill.

jruk
    Free Member

Polzeath could be worth a look. We’ve been a couple of times – the beach is awesome with plenty of camp sites. One even has an Indian overlooking the beach :-). Not sure of the riding though.

North Devon could give you a good mix of beaches and riding. Depends if you want to ride from the camp site I guess.

Exmouth has a good beach and is very close to Woodbury Common. Plus you can get to Haldon Forest in about 20 mins (car).

wallop

ime if you want surfing beaches at this time of year then head for the far west of cornwall and don’t bother venturing further up the north coast as its just holiday maker hell. sennen should be busy but just get to trhe next cove north which is gwenver and you can have it virtually to yourselves even in august.

if you’re heading that far down then i’d recommend the campsite that’s actually on the south coast at porthcurno just above the minnack. it’s a 10 min drive to sennen and a little longer to gwenver.

I’ll second this (I grew up down there). Porthcurno has a village pub too.

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

Another vote for Woolacombe here and stay on North Morte Farm. It can get a bit blowey but if the weather stays nice you wake to stunning sea views. Ride from the site and hire boards and Kayaks in the town.

samuri
    Free Member

I can’t remember then name but we stayed at a huge camp site in exmouth a year a go. it was god-awful. Rihgt next to a firing range and errrm, cheap is probably the best description. Our feet stuck to the floor in the entertainment complex and I got in a argument with one bloke which ended up with him lying on the floor. HTH.

southernsteel
    Free Member

I’m going to recommend a capsite that only fits into one of your requirements- it is small. It’s a national trust campsite that is super nice. It’s in a place called highertown, lansallos. I’m sure you’ll be able to find it on the internet.

jruk
    Free Member

Exmouth can be pretty rough but the beach is good and there some small sites not far away iirc. North Devon might be a better bet.

yunki
    Free Member

I can’t remember then name but we stayed at a huge camp site in exmouth a year a go. it was god-awful. Rihgt next to a firing range and errrm, cheap is probably the best description

That’ll be Sandy Bay (where your bikes will get nicked..)

I wouldn’t recommend Exmouth either.. no surf.. no nice campsite within walking distance of a pub..
    It’s a great place to party although a bit rough around the edges as mentioned..

MartynS

stayed in St Agnes the other year, very nice it was to..

commierider
    Free Member

Spent a week in Gwythian Towans last Autumn. Twas awesome.

akysurf
    Free Member

http://www.riverdart.co.uk/

River Dart Country Park near Ashburton in Devon

Gateway to Dartmoor
    Near the coast
    BigPeaks MBike store in Ashburton (best store in SWest)
    …arguably the best in the country:
    http://www.bigpeaks.com/

jam-bo

Might be geographically close to the coast but it’ll take at least 45mins of cursing at slow traffic to get anywhere nice…

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Cornwall or Devon camping holiday destination ideas’ is closed to new replies.