Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Cornwall family cycle routes St Ives – Hayle
  • looneylunn
    Free Member

Hello

I’m going to To a holiday park near Hayle and wondered if an locals or previous visitors know if there is a family friendly cycle route into St Ives? Mainly to dodge parking charges!

I’d be interested in any off road family friendly routes in the area if you can help

Thanks

Steve

loddrik
    Free Member

The coastal path is a great walk but it’s not particularly cyclable. Especially for families. Some of it is perched on a cliff top and isn’t really pushable. My advice is to walk in and get the train back. Hale to Lelant, then between the golf course and Lelant beach to Hawks Point. Then Carbis bay to St Ives. It’s a lovely walk. Parking is indeed a nightmare in St Ives in the summer. I always end up in the Stennack car park, it s a wait to get in but it turns over quite quick.

looneylunn
    Free Member

Thanks Loddrik

Is the coastal path rideable towards portreath?

carlphillips
    Free Member

We take the park and ride train from St Erth station. Minutes away from hayle.

st

I’ve always looked at the coastal path North of Hayle as a fun looking proper ride. From Godrevy round to Hell’s Mouth and onwards there are some nice sections that would be easy for a family ride but it’s interspersed with narrow rocky sections which run close to the cliff edges.

For that reason I wouldn’t take my young family up there on bikes.

Go and have a look though, walk a part of it and see if it shapes up to your expectations. You’ll be able to park for free if you drive up past Godrevy and pull in at the little Hell’s Mouth cafe thing.

Then there’s always the coast path with out of St Ives but you’d be better off leaving that to Chris Akrigg to ride ;o)

Harry_the_Spider

Not really. The Costal Path has dunes and drops and is a footpath. The roads are a bit busy too IME.
    Walk it, take the train or do a mixture of both. The walk from Lelant into St Ives is nice.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Cornwall family cycle routes St Ives – Hayle’ is closed to new replies.