Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Cornering problem – advice/help
  • solman
    Free Member

I’m not very good when cornering right, especially switchbacks. I have to slow right down as I just can’t trust myself to lean over enough.

I know it’s mostly in my head, but is this a common problem? Also any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Maybe a skills course?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Easy answer would be “go see Jedi”. Pics might help so people could spot what you’re doing wrong. Is guess you’re leaning your body rather than the bike though.

sunnrider
    Free Member

I was advised recently to try and keep focused on my exit through a switchback and also lay off the brakes. It helped quite a bit, that and not hanging too far back past the saddle (you lose steering control).

Oh, and push back up and do it again til you get it right might be the best advice.

Stevelol
    Free Member

Don’t think of leaning as much, twist your hips. I like to feel the seat against my thighs as it helps me steer.

If you can do switchbacks fine to the left then you obviously know what to do, just practice.

solman
    Free Member

I’m afraid I don’t have pics. Maybe I’ll try and get a mate to film it this weekend so I can compare.

Yes, I think it’s down to practise and a mental thing also. Thanks for the advice. 🙂

scottidog
    Free Member

outside foot down, inside knee out, brake before the corner not during and look at the exit.

Sounds like it’s a headfuck you’re having though so as sunnrider says I’d find a corner that’s giving you difficulties and session it till it feels right.

smcicr
    Free Member

Lower the saddle – may help you lean the bike over, look for the exit (generally looking in a direction will help turn your body / hips in that direction), get your feet right – outside foot (furthest from the apex) should be at the bottom of the pedal stroke, with the exception of off camber corners…set yourself before the corner in terms of speed (try to avoid braking IN the corner). Oh and practice, practice, practice – start slow and increase the entry speed gradually – hope that helps 🙂

And yes, a trip to see Jedi is always a good idea! 😀

cynic-al
    Free Member

Stick a mirror on your helmet so it looks like a left turn.

highclimber
    Free Member

I have the same problem turning left. always feels strange turning tthat way compared to the other.

rickon
    Free Member

Don’t think of leaning as much, twist your hips. I like to feel the seat against my thighs as it helps me steer.

If you can feel the saddle you’re not leaning the bike, you’re leaning with it 😉 my session with Jedi has totally changed how I think about riding, and that was one of the things that pops on my head; if I feel the saddle touch my thigh I know I’m leaning and need to push the bike more and keep myself upright.

Have a look at some youtube videos, there are lots about demonstrating proper corneribg, but it really isn’t a substitute for one to one.

gingerss
    Free Member

I think this is the type of positioning that is being referred to:

It’s something I’m struggling with at the moment too…

takisawa2

I thought he said switchbacks…
    If its tight switchbacks I find dipping the inside shoulder a bit & steering into the turn with my upper body helps. Also get the weight nice & neutral, let the front wheel steer a nice wide path, don’t force it to turn tight…if that makes any sense at all. 🙂
    (Probably not).

HermanShake
    Free Member

Something I find that helps me is to look through the corner, not at the tight bit of the exit I’m worried about going into. When I’m nervous my corners start tight and end wide, as I relax I maintain the posture and drill my eyes toward the next section.

I only recently read about the hips thing shown up there ^ it works really well! It also helps with looking through as you’re more rotated than the bike.

I prefer cornering to the left, which I’ve read is common for right foot forward riders. Are you the same stance?

gingerss
    Free Member

@takisawa2, I know what you mean. Some switchbacks are like mini-berms where the cornering technique above may well be applicable, but many (probably most) are flat and have other obstacles.

I’ve found that a lot depends on the surface as some of the trail centres are very eroded and I’ve found it difficult to adopt a technique that’s worked well for all.

solman
    Free Member

@herman, yes I am right foot forward therefore cornering left isn’t really a problem. When cornering right my whole body position “feels” wrong. I think its a mental thing mostly as I don’t trust myself or the bike as much when cornering right. I tend to tense up and over think the whole thing.

But the advice above is top stuff, I’m going to spend time just practising and may be go and see Jedi 🙂

jambalaya
    Free Member

@gingerss – a couple of thoughts from me (at risk of ridicule from those more knowledgable).

It’s quite common to have a natural side, ie favour left vs right, it’s also likely that your technique is slightly different side which feeds into confidence with lack of confidence in one side making things worse.

My second observation based on how I think of things is to learn the bike more than the body, if you look at the berm photo above the bike is angled in and the rider is above the bike. This plus outside foot/inside hand pressure creates grip in the tyres. On slower corners, ie switchbacks, I’ve found it’s all about the right amount of pressure on the front wheel and definitely slow in/fast out with a possible pedal stroke to finish the turn. On a switchback you can learn the bike to inside of turn whilst your body is quite upright. I’d also suggest practicing turns on flat ground, I struggle with these as it exposes my technique.

jedi

if you keep your right foot forward at all times , when you turn left you have an open body position but to the right you close you body. try it standing on the floor and see how easy it is to twist

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Don’t be afraid of experimenting with your foot position on *switchbacks. It’s quite common for people to feel better/improve by changing their leading foot for them … there’s no real right or wrong here, some people find it better to trail the foot in the direction of the corner, others prefer to lead with that foot.

*I assume we’re talking about proper, slow speed switchback turns where you need to steer the bike, rather than corners 😉

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Cornering problem – advice/help’ is closed to new replies.