• This topic has 12 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by piha.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Cordless Drills – Any good?
  • BigBikeBash
    Free Member

My old Bosch drill has died and am looking at picking up a replacement for about £120 – £150.

Wouldn't mind the convenience of cordless but are they any good these days?

I remember buying a cheap one a few years back and ending up throwing it away because it had no oomph and only last 15 minutes.

I guess stuff has improved. Any one use one regularly for wood and masonary? Worth it as an only drill.

-m-
    Free Member

OK for wood where portability is important. Anything more then use a corded one.

As an only drill then it would be corded all the way for me.

surfer
    Free Member

I have a bosch 18v one. Its only for jobs around the house so if you need to do any more heavy duty masonery drilling you will need something more powerful but I find there is little it wont tackle and it charges quickly as well and lasts for hours and hours.

Pieface

I had a Bosch 18v hammer drill.

Ok for Masonry and should suffice as an only drill if you're not doing lots of DIY.

Having spent a bit of money on tools I'd say the only corded drill worth buying is an SDS, everything else is cordless.

If it were me I'd spend the £150 on a decent Cordless and an SDS with chuck stop (for chiselling).

Look what you can get from Screwfix (inc. 2 batteries)

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/70640/Power-Tools/Kits/Bosch-2kg-SDS-Hammer-110V-Free-Drill-Driver

Edit – 110v is no good, but you get the idea

RustyMac

I recently bought a Makita 18v cordless drill and for general around the house work it has been spot on, wouldn’t dream of using it for drilling trough the granite walls but it has managed to drill through a red brick without any fuss.

Lithium ion batteries are good to look out for, charge quickly and seem to last a long time.

3 other work mates of mine also picked up the same Makita drill when they were on sale in B and Q and they are all suitably impressed with it.

It’s this one
    null

brassneck

Makita or deWalt are great if you have to use it for a living.

Else, I boght a Homebase own brand (Work??) 20v one and it's been excellent, came with two batteries too. Go for a higher voltage one to get a decent level of power, copes with masonry just fine but obviously at the expense of battery life – with 2 it's not reallty an issue for DIY.

IainAhh
    Free Member

I got a 18v dewalt one off screwfix arround £100 (80 off)a year or so ago.It came with 2 batteries, they really last quite well. And charge fast.

I do a lot of diy and my old cabled drill (which is quite good) has only come out of the box a couple of times since I got he cordless one.

And I have only come across drilling into particularly hard outside walls being too much for the cordless one.

They are great, also very handy if you are putting a lot of screws in like plaster board etc. (I wouldn't buy a cheep one though.)

coffeeking
    Free Member

Makita if you can stretch that far, some of their cordless drills are amazing, some insane torque and power and ages between recharges. But £££.

tony24
    Free Member

bosch 36v cordless is an animal 😀 lightweight and perfect for pretty much everything just over budget @ £200 off ebay but will last you ages due to being super tough and bosch brilliant warranty

Baldysquirt

I also have a Worx – I got it from Homebase, but I believe they're a separate entity and can be bought elsewhere. I've been really impressed (had it for about 2 years). I do a need my corded one for big jobs, but for general joinery etc it'd great. My dad was impressed enough to bin his Bosch and replace it with one.

jam-bo

Bosch Uneo

I got given one of these at xmas, at first I thought it was a bit gimmicky and not really what I wanted. It's really really good though and I have a big corded hammer drill for where it doesnt have umph.

battery is good for a day of DIY and battery charges pretty quick.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Go for the Dewalt dc925 or 988. It's on offer at the moment in screwfix for £150. Only get one battery but for occasional use it will be plenty and charges in an hour.
    That particular model is the proper trade one, not a cheaper version. Usually would sell for about 270 with 2 batteries.
    I've got a full kit of Dewalt 18v stuff and they're pretty much as good as the corded equivalent but far easier to use. Mine all get hammered every day, only issue I've had is a faulty trigger on the drill after 4 years very heavy use.
    The drill is every bit as good as any corded percussion drill.

piha
    Free Member

Hilti – end of thread (£££ though)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Cordless Drills – Any good?’ is closed to new replies.