Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Copper Grease
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

does this stuff actually eliminate brake squeal/howling?? has anyone any experience of this first hand?

ive tried everything under the sun to eliminate it on my tech x2 front brake and i am at the end of my tether….

it constantly does it regardless of wet/dry, before it when wet it used to squeal then once it was heated up it would clear after a few sharp brakes….

since ive put in sintered hope official pads its been unbearable and its getting worse if anything 🙁

i cant hack this all winter 🙁

help please 🙂 is copper grease my saviour?

thanks guys

uplink
    Free Member

If the cause of the squealing is the back of the pads sticking to the pistons – it could well do
    If that isn't the cause of squealing it won't – unless you smear it liberally on the rotor, then it definitely will 😀

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

hmmm cheers for the reply, well one side of the piston does actually not retract quite as quickly when reseting the pistons…..maybe it is the cause….

i shall give it ago, car mechanics at work have suggested this to me as car brakes use the same principles but obviously alot hotter, looking at the wording on the copper grease someone has give me it says it eliminate brake squeal (obviosuly for cars) but should work the same 🙂

ive tried pretty much everything else

unless its just hopes sintered pads are that noisy, seems funny and makes me think perhaps could be the piston or something as the rear brake is silent regardless of weather conditions…

stumpy01

start with a teeny bit smeared on, as when it gets hot it flows quite well & you might end up with it in places you don't want.

Olly
    Free Member

yep, it should work.

also, chamfer the leading and trailing edges of the pads with a file.

reduce in braking power as the pad is effectivly smaller, but usually stops squeal.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

i know the backing of the hope pads have holes where the compound is bonded….i will try to avoid placing any in and around the holes, hopefully wont run through….

ive got to try something else, even if it means knackering yet another pair of pads 🙁

just a point also the front brake made no noise for months when i had them new, they were running on standard hope organic pads..

i guess i may have to try reverting back to them and hope for the best if this copper grease doesnt clear it…..

also when ive applied the copper grease should the squeal be cured instantly or does it take a while to get 'going'?

enfht
    Free Member

Do you bed all your new pads in fully?

And most pads will squeal if they've glazed over, in which case filing and re-bedding should work

Gary_C

Use Superstar pads…????

robgarrioch

You're always supposed to smear the back of motorbike brake pads with cgrease, one reason being to stop howling / squeaking.
    Only replaced mtb pads 2 or 3 times myself, always with a little grease on the back, & haven't had any squeal problems (unless occasionally when v wet, & then just once or twice)

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

yeah pads fully bedded in the best to my knowledge, down steep bank braking harshly 10 times ish' …..

i may actually try some other brand ones, as i said ive tried 2 sets of sintered on the front, and even tried the rear sintered ones and they have all squealled on the front, but not on the back….

may give those superstar pads ago for 7 quid why not….

ill still try this copper grease first though..

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Copper Grease’ is closed to new replies.