Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Coping with massive amounts of envy/fomo
  • adjustablewench
    Free Member

Seem to be stuck in a perpetual state of wishing I was able to partake in various events. And feeling very envious of those taking part

Unfortunately physically I can’t, which I understand but still seem to be struggling when I have to miss stuff.

Guess it just comes down to me wanting my life back to normal but really seem to be battling with some very negative emotions atm

BoardinBob

Can you get involved in some capacity? For example marshalling instead of racing (if we’re talking bikes)

Shooting some video footage etc?

adjustablewench
    Free Member

Quite often events involve a lot of travel and child juggling – that seemed justifiable when I felt better and I could actually ride.

Sorry this is turning into a moaney grumble

darrell
    Free Member

at least there are loads of events you COULD go to. Here in Norway there are only limited lycra infested xc races within a sensible drive

So I look in envy at you lot over in the UK all the time

cynic-al
    Free Member

Anything else you can get into in the interim?

Internet arguing passes the time for many, for instance 😀

Cougar

What’s “fomo” when it’s at home?

slackboy

What’s “fomo” when it’s at home?

Fear Of Missing Out

Cougar

Ah, ta.

The best I could manage to piece together was ****ing On My Own.

adjustablewench
    Free Member

Ha I’d be happy with that if my body was up to it!

grum
    Free Member

Anything else you can get into in the interim?

This.

I had pretty bad ME/CFS a few years ago and spent months desperately wishing I could ride my bike/go for walks up mountains etc – it made me extremely unhappy/depressed.

I eventually saw an NHS mental health nurse who told me that at least for now I needed to find something else to inspire/motivate me that wasn’t physically strenuous. I ended up getting into photography – I enjoyed just taking short walks along the canal and taking shots of flowers etc. It really helped me and now its what I do for a living.

Some kind of arts/crafty type stuff could be really good I reckon.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I spend most of my working week coping with massive amounts of mofos.

JoeG
    Free Member

child juggling 😯

adjustablewench
    Free Member

Mine are almost as big as me so jiggling them is tricky

flip456
    Free Member

It’s not just me that feels like they’re missing out then. If I’m not working, I’m looking after the kids and it seems that everyone else is always out enjoying themselves. It’s getting so bad that the bikes will be heading to the classifieds if things don’t change soon. Full sus hasn’t been ridden in nearly a year and the cross bike since January.
    Sorry no help just letting off steam. Hope it gets better for you op.

adjustablewench
    Free Member

Or juggling even – I don’t often jiggle my kids

mcmoonter
    Free Member

OP, I feel your desperation. It’s been a week since we came back from a great bicycle tour of the Western Isles. Buzzing with the experience but also with tendinitis. I’m running out of chores I can do with a limp.

Something creative always revives my spirits, painting, writing , gardening or building something.

An STW injury club rehab ride is what we need.

badnewz
    Free Member

I have arthritis in both knees, and my quality of life is pretty much rock bottom. I’m bed bound most weekends and not sure if I will ever ride my mountain bike again. I’m only in my 30s and it feels unfair, but then again, whoever said life is fair?

adjustablewench
    Free Member

Yes you are right Mcmoonter a recovery ride would probably do many a lot of good.
    Will have to get our heads together when your ankle has calmed down a bit.

And it is also right about the creative stuff, I had focused a lot of time on that before I got back to work. Now just getting through my working week seems to be a challenge.

Have a whole weekend next weekend of no kids and nothing pencilled in – I’ve left it blank on purpose as I was hoping to feel inspired by the weather and get out on my bike – now even the weekend is weighing down on my mind as I’m not sure what I’m capable of (either on the bike or otherwise) and not feeling inspired

funkmasterp

Badnewz – would an ebike be a possibility?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Coping with massive amounts of envy/fomo’ is closed to new replies.