Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 169 total)
  • Cool brands.
  • donsimon
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15083563
    Agree?
    Disagree?
    Additions or changes to the list?

Jamie
    Free Member

Aston Martin
    Apple
    Harley-Davidson
    Rolex
    Bang & Olufsen
    BlackBerry
    Google
    Ferrari
    Nike
    YouTube

….just my humble of course.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Nike?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

what is wrong with Ferrari?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

And the selection of Nike ???

Jamie
    Free Member

Nike?

Mainly for their 6.0 stuff.

….and I loves me some child labour produced sports wear for sitting on the sofa in.

donsimon
    Free Member

Jamie, your opinion is wrong. I hope you have learned something from this…

emsz
    Free Member

Aston Martin aren’t cool. The people that actually buy them, they’re all old fat bankers, not cool.

Nike are cool, Apple are cool, YouTube is cool.

rewski
    Free Member

Most of them have a wiff of Prem 1 footballer and there orange WAGs I’m afraid, even Aston Martin these days.

Jamie
    Free Member

Jamie, your opinion is wrong. I hope you have learned something from this…

Yup and nope.

donsimon
    Free Member

😆

trailmonkey

Aston Martin aren’t cool

you are of course massively, epically and stupendously wrong – as this picture shows.

and i don’t even like cars that much.

emsz
    Free Member

trailmonkey it would be cool if it had a week’s worth of road dirt and a kiddie seat in the back, and empty crisp packets on the passenger seat.

But that car will never have any of those things, it will never be loved like a family pet, it won’t have a name, and it won’t have taken any families on holidays.

It will be polished and taken out very occasionally to be taken to places where other sad bankers will drool over it. GF’s dad has one, and he does those things, AND plays golf, AND reads the telegraph, AND is a banker.

Jamie
    Free Member

It will be polished and taken out very occasionally to be taken to places where other sad bankers will drool over it. GF’s dad has one, and he does those things, AND plays golf, AND reads the telegraph, AND is a banker.

Seems like someone has step-daddy issues.

rewski
    Free Member

@ trailmonkey – there’s no question that car is cool, but I’m afraid AM ain’t a cool brand anymore, I’m sadden to say.

rewski
    Free Member

Seems like someone has step-daddy issues.

😆

aracer
    Free Member

oxymoron

Jamie
    Free Member

oxymoron

TJ? Is that you? What have you done with aracer, you fiend!

mogrim

Harley-Davidson? Spray-on rebellion for 40something accountants, hardly cool. Triumph is loads cooler!

joao3v16
    Free Member

In my humble, coolness has a lot to do with exclusivity.

The more attention something gets, or the more popular/common it is, the more I lose any interest in it, and the less I am ‘impressed’ by it.

Therefore Apple = Not Cool.

Too common, has become a very run-of-the-mill, everyday item.
    Same goes for Nike, Blackberry.

Pretty much anybody has access to or can own an Apple product, therefore there’s nothing special about them.

Interesting that the BBC article starts off talking about the “UK’s coolest brand”, but when referring to Apple/Blackberry further down quotes them as being rated by ‘popularity’.

‘Popularity’ & ‘Coolness’ are not the same thing.

So the article seems confused as to what point it’s actually making.

And they only surveyed 2000 people. Out of a population of 70million or something. 0.003% of the population. I’m no statisitician, but generally I’d consider the opinion of such a tiny minority insignificant and throw the results in the bin.

Jamie
    Free Member

what is wrong with Ferrari?

It’s not a Lamborghini 8)

deviant
    Free Member

Aston Martin….undecided on this, not bad though, less ostentatious than Ferrari, Lamborghini etc which can only be a good thing.

Apple….not cool, now very much a cliche.

Harley-Davidson….not cool, mid-life crisis on wheels.

Rolex….not cool, flashy and gaudy, understated is cool.

Bang & Olufsen….not sure on this, i’m going with not cool, i think this marks one out as a stereo nerd/geek.

BlackBerry….dont like them myself (mainly for the teeny tiny keys) but the owner/user is usually less of a bore than the average iphone owner.

Google….cool, doesnt seem to be any pretence, just does what it does and very well.

Ferrari….for Peter Stringfellow types, not cool.

Nike….its a sports brand, if you’re over the age of 16 then whether Nike, Adidas or any of the other sports brands are cool or not should be of no importance to you.

YouTube….cool, see google, efficient at what it does and not targeting a specific ‘cool’ group.

joao3v16
    Free Member

if you’re over the age of 16 then whether Nike, Adidas or any of the other sports brands are cool or not should be of no importance to you

Same applies to Go-ogle/LookAtMeMeMeTube/ArseBook/Twatter in my book.

Although, I’d go for ‘if you’re over the age of 9’ for these.

Jamie
    Free Member

Same applies to Go-ogle/LookAtMeMeMeTube/ArseBook/Twatter in my book.

The problem you have here is, using terms like those you sound like you’re under 9.

scaredypants

The survey was voted on by 2,000 people from a shortlist compiled by a panel of experts.

Self-appointed panel of marketing people asks some of their colleagues which brands have the biggest account at “poncemag”

**** crap

trailmonkey

Nike….its a sports brand, if you’re over the age of 16 then whether Nike, Adidas or any of the other sports brands are cool or not should be of no importance to you.

not so. if you’re of a certain age then adidas will forever be untouchably cool

donsimon
    Free Member

Self-appointed panel of marketing people asks some of their colleagues which brands have the biggest account at “poncemag”

**** crap Bit of fun

iDave
    Free Member

Pretty much nothing listed by us lot is likely to be properly cool. But I think that maybe Deus ex Machina is cool

Finisterre is cool

http://finisterreblog.staging.screenpages.net/

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

The problem you have here is, using terms like those you sound like you’re under 9.

Or CFH. Not sure which is worse tbh.

Jamie
    Free Member

**** crap

Sounds like someone is upset they wasn’t invited to be on the expert panel

scaredypants

😥

vinnyeh

How about those posting add their age along with their pronouncements. 🙂

Might help with judging how seriously to take them.

I suspect asking stw is a bit like asking Clarkson, May and Hammond.

iDave
    Free Member

“Same applies to Go-ogle/LookAtMeMeMeTube/ArseBook/Twatter in my book.”

Isn’t your book the one with all the fairy stories in it? Which you live your life by? How cool is that blud!!!

Jamie
    Free Member

Isn’t your book the one with all the fairy stories in it? Which you live your life by? How cool is that blud!!!

Wha?

_tom_
    Free Member

But I think that maybe Deus ex Machina is cool

It is, that looks so good 🙂

I don’t think anything on that list is cool apart from maybe Aston Martin. I’m 22 btw.

philconsequence
    Free Member

you can only be truly ‘cool’ if you dont give a flying **** what you’re wearing/driving… and at the same time are having fun, fun that spreads to the people around you so they enjoy spending time with you.

one of the ‘coolest’ people i know is short, wears glasses and is a star wars geek, bit his attitude, infectious enthusiasm and lust for life means that everyone wants to be his friend 🙂

‘cool’ is effortless, if you buy something, wear something or drive something in an effort to be ‘cool’ then, in my humble opinion, you’ve shot yourself in the foot.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

How can a company that makes tractors be cool ?

http://www.lamborghini-tractors.com/UNITEDKINGDOM/en-GB/homeuk.html

Jamie
    Free Member

…but tractors are cool.

iDave
    Free Member

stop trying then phil

jackthedog
    Free Member

emsztrailmonkey it would be cool if it had a week’s worth of road dirt and a kiddie seat in the back, and empty crisp packets on the passenger seat.

But that car will never have any of those things, it will never be loved like a family pet, it won’t have a name, and it won’t have taken any families on holidays.

Amen.

The survey defines a Superbrand as having established “the finest reputation in its field”.

Cool and ‘having the finest reputation in the field’ are not the same thing.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 169 total)

The topic ‘Cool brands.’ is closed to new replies.