Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Convince me not to buy a Yeti ASR 5
  • justatheory
    Free Member

I’ve come in to a bit of spare cash and would like to treat myself to a Yeti ASR 5 frame. I currently have a Canyon Nerve and am planning on transferring all the bits over, as they are good bits.

Thing is…I know I don’t really neeeed a Yeti, I just really want one and I’m having a hard time justifying it, because deep down I know it won’t really make any difference. I have ridden one and really liked it but I’ll admit It’s mainly a desire thing.

I really wanted a Turner 5 Spot but I didn’t have the cash at the time CRC were selling them cheap and now I begrudge paying full price. Someone tell me how rubbish the Yeti is and that I won’t notice any difference from my current bike.

ojom
    Free Member

They are rubbish and you will hate it.

I am a liar.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I can’t. They are great.

Get one.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    lostboysaint
    Free Member

Don’t be a ****

just get on with it 🙂

alfabus
    Free Member

sorry, can’t be done.

better to spend your time choosing a colour, since a purchase is inevitable.

Dave

justatheory
    Free Member

It’s turning in to one of those itches that I may just have to scratch. You’re all not helping.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

We are. You’re just postponing the inevitable. You’d be better off just ordering one. It could be with you by the weekend!

justatheory
    Free Member

Well I am slightly cramped on my Canyon 😳

lostboysaint
    Free Member

And then you could be out on it, with the inevitable attention that riding a Yeti brings…………..

justatheory
    Free Member

You mean people saying “look at that goon with all the gear and no idea?”

ash.addy
    Free Member

I had a lapierre Spicy – Wanted a Bottlerocket didn’t need one
    Needed a Sovereign to replace the Spicy
    Wanted a Prophet 120mm didn’t really need it
    I work hard I don’t smoke so why shouldn’t I splash out now and again.

Go for it you’ll regret it if you don’t, I haven’t regretted any of my purchases.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I wouldn’t bother if I was you.

It won’t make you any better, you’ll try and convince yourself it does… but it won’t. You’ll try and convince yourself it makes you a happier rider… but it doesn’t. Infact the slow realisation that you’ve wasted your money will make you more depressed. You’ll lust after another bike, caught in a consumerist void, until you give it all up and start lusting after full carbon road bikes that cost more than cars.

Happy Christmas.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Road bikes? You really have no idea.

chrismac

Why?

If you can afford it and fancy one then go for it!

grizzpup
    Free Member

Overpriced single pivot (with rocker) likely to snap its rear triangle and not be as well made as your canyon. Otherwise what is stopping you …..go for it!

justatheory
    Free Member

Overpriced single pivot (with rocker) likely to snap its rear triangle and not be as well made as your canyon. Otherwise what is stopping you …..go for it!

wouldn’t bother if I was you.

It won’t make you any better, you’ll try and convince yourself it does… but it won’t. You’ll try and convince yourself it makes you a happier rider… but it doesn’t. Infact the slow realisation that you’ve wasted your money will make you more depressed. You’ll lust after another bike, caught in a consumerist void, until you give it all up and start lusting after full carbon road bikes that cost more than cars.

Happy Christmas.

This is more like it.

dickie
    Free Member

Terrible mud clearance.
    I really wanted one & had a 10% voucher for a really cheap one from Rudland, but I’m in between sizes & couldn’t decide which size, so in the end thought better of it when I saw the mud clearance.

But if I was smaller I would be enjoying a carbon medium now, but I really was surprised at the poor mud clearance with a 2.25 Nobby Nic.

Wookster

Over three million pandas are killed to make a square centimetre of carbon fibre……….imagine of the pandas needed to make a whole bike.*

* this is frankly untrue and a lie, designed to fulfil your request.

Hadge
    Free Member

No, don’t get the Yeti! Get the one you REALLY want like mine here hehe

Leku
    Free Member

Don’t buy on. You will have nothing to blame when to bail / balls up a section.

[/url]
    IMGP3552 by jh_buchanan, on Flickr[/img]

djflexure

It’ll break

Prophet2
    Free Member

It will break you on the climbs more like it.

Buy it, I dithered over buying one for a few weeks and the indecision and fretting was painful until I finally bought the ASR5.

Haven’t regretted it since, love my Yeti.

muppet4
    Free Member

I have just picked one up from rutland and it really is something special, i am a little concerned about the clearance but it does look the bo****ks so who cares.
    And its got 5 years warranty so if it breaks then just get it fixed 😀

Gee76
    Free Member

I’m in exactly the same dilema. Old bike is only a couple of years old but fancied something more xc/trail oriented as thats where my riding is going these days. Still love me current Tracer too but very tempted…
    Had a 10% rutland voucher which swung it for me, just, but sadly it was not honoured so back on the fence again!. Did you check rutland would honour yours dickie?.

Gee76
    Free Member

I’m in exactly the same dilema. Old bike is only a couple of years old but fancied something more xc/trail oriented as thats where my riding is going these days. Still love me current Tracer too but very tempted…
    Had a 10% rutland voucher which swung it for me, just, but sadly it was not honoured so back on the fence again!. Did you check rutland would honour yours dickie?.

Rorschach
    Free Member

They smell of wee*
    * this might not be actually true but I can take Stu (rep) in a fight so I ain’t scared.

flyingfox
    Free Member

I just don’t get it. I’ve ridden a whole load ofc bikes and I took this up our local hill so was on terrain i’ve done tons of times and it was deeply unimpressive. I honestly cannot see past the Pivot Machs myself. For me, there’s nothing better. However, apparently folk have different opinions…!

Hadge
    Free Member

FWIW I owned a 575, the 08 swoopy frame one and I much prefer the ASR5. It’s sleeker, lower and looks really nice.

nuke

Probably should build mine up…had it sitting in a box since October 😳

dickie
    Free Member

@Gee76 – from memory I think I just added it at basket & it applied the discount.
    I did ring them but I think it was just to check stock.

Gee76
    Free Member

Sounds familiar, me too, entered code which showed the deduction then the system rejected all my (desperate)payment attempts and i was told to call. Then they explained. I was that close!.

Still very tempted but not riding loads at the mo so hanging off a bit. Maybe do another year on the tracer as got it in a sweet spot for now.

Tis very hard to justify the price of some frames of recent. TRc for instance. The 5 just about hits the mark. Tis just a mare when CRC go halving the price of such things tho. Makes me wanna wait in a way…

But then the 5c just looks sooooo….. Mmmmmmmm.

Arghhhhhhhhh

rewski
    Free Member

I spent the afternoon looking at the vids on the Yeti website, the downsville and tribal gathering vids certainly inspire you to buy into Yeti. My mates got one and there’s no question that they’re great bikes. Do it.

pmeehan
    Free Member

Just buy it, you can’t take the cash with you when you go. I was in the same position a few weeks ago and I just thought **** it and bought a Lapierre Spicy 516, haven’t had much time riding it given Christmas/ family commitments but I don’t care cos this is my hobby and I love it.

bigjim

I am 98% certain on an ASR5 too. Had a look at one and the mud clearance is pretty much the same as my 07 Trance.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Convince me not to buy a Yeti ASR 5’ is closed to new replies.