Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Converting Voodoo Bokor into a 2×9
  • akaskittles
    Free Member

So it sounds pretty easy, but is it? I’ve looked it up and I’ve ordered a crank puller, chain ring tool and a proper chain tool, do I need anything else? Like new chainring bolts?

Main reason I want to convert into a 2×9 is because I never use the big ring and the chain slapping against the side of the big ring while I’m in the middle ring is driving me nuts.

I would also like to install a chainguide, but that seems impossible since there’s no chainguide mounting hardware. And the BB is a stupid cartridge affair. Speaking about that, can I install a external cup BB?

Anyway. The process seems simple. Cut the chain, remove chainrings, take of big one, and reassemble. Since I’m removing a ring, do I need new bolts? If so how do I know what bolt size?

Scapegoat

You need a bashguard to do it neatly. Try BBG Bashguarda from the USA, they are the same thickness as the outer ring and cost less than a set of longer bolts.

ALl you really need to do is swap the outer chainring for a bash, trim the front mech to stop it overshifting from the middle using the limit screw, take a link out of the chain and crack on.

If you were feeling under geared at this point you can put a bigger (36t) middle ring on instead of the usual 32.

Your current (Octalink?) BB means you could use a Bionicon chainstay mounted chain device, or a bodged reflector bracket and zip-tie version for 30 quid less, or get a clutch mech to prevent chain slap.

Otherwise you could swap the whople thing for a HT2 chainset…. Deore bargains in the sales, or else maker the whole process easier by fitting a 2×9 SLX M665 or Deore M545

akaskittles
    Free Member

Replacing the chainrings is what I plan todo soon, since replacing my current chainrings would mean getting a whole new bb and chainring setup.

I honestly have no idea what my BB is, but it’s a cartridge style one with the axle integrated. I THINK it’s square taper. Voodoo bikes tend to slop a bit when it comes to the drive train and bearings.

So eventually all the unbranded crap is gonna go and be replaced with better kit. But for now, I’ll convert it into a 2×9 with a bashguard 🙂

h4muf
    Free Member

On my Voodoo Bantu i just bought an XT chainset,put a HT2 BB on and off you go!

akaskittles
    Free Member

Thanks for the Info guys! I’ll do the conversion for now, and I’ll upgrade my whole drive train to XT or some sram kit!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Converting Voodoo Bokor into a 2×9’ is closed to new replies.