Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Converting Tubeless ready wheels to being actually tubeless
  • verbboy
    Free Member

Hello

I’ve got a pairs of Alex MD23 rims which state they are tubeless ready.

Does that mean I don’t need to buy a whole conversion kit?

Can I just put in new values (http://www.notubes.com/Universal-35mm-Mountain-Valve-Stem-Pair-P550.aspx).

Would I also need to replace the rim tape?

Any tips would be welcomed.

Garry_Lager

You should be good to go depending on what rim tape you have on there – if it’s just one layer of normal tape that you’d run with tubes this might not be good enough at sealing the rim bed (or it might, never tried it). People use Stans yellow tape, gorilla tape, plastic rim strips etc to get the rim sealed properly for TLR.

dknwhy

I’ve got Mavic Crossmax wheels that are tubeless ready. I just stuck the valves in and gave it a go and it’s held for months. Maybe I should’ve used tape but i’m pretty naive with these things and luck was on my side.
    It wasn’t when I tried the same thing with non-tubeless tyres on my cx bike and coated my garage in sealant when the tyre blew off the rim.

verbboy
    Free Member

Thanks Garry, I’ll give that a go.

mboy
    Free Member

Remove the rim tape, put a double wrap of Stans or similar yellow tape (or blue or whatever colour, but Stans yellow is the most common), poke a hole for the valve to go through, insert the valve, fit tyre, slosh some sealant in and inflate.

Very simplistic I know, but that’s the gist of it.

“Tubeless ready” means it’s not actually tubeless until a rim strip is fitted to seal the holes in the rim. Proper “tubeless” wheels like Mavic’s Crossmax and the like don’t need a rim strip, just insert the valve and go.

verbboy
    Free Member

brilliant thanks mboy

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Converting Tubeless ready wheels to being actually tubeless’ is closed to new replies.