Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Converting to single speed
  • Coyote
    Free Member

What are the recommended ratios for a beginner? Also what is the concensus on those A2Z kits that Wooly Hat Shop sell?

All answers and opinions gratefully received.

ourmaninthenorth

Most people work around the basic 2:1 ratio of chainring to sprocket. Most often, that comes out at 32:16.

No idea baout the quality of the wooly hat shop kit. I got mine s/h off here, and just fettled until it worked.

Be careful though, these apparently cheap and simple bikes have a habit of becoming bling magnets..!

sharki
    Free Member

Standard ratio is 2:1 most use 32:16, depends where you ride too.

No knowledge of the A2Z stuff, but advice to do it on the cheap and see if you get on with it, give a good while to get used to it too, summers not the best time to start IMHO as you’ll be yearning to go faster, but instead will spin out.

yossarian
    Free Member

32:16 to start

i used a surly singulator and found it to be really good.

MikeWW
    Free Member

Single speeding good any time of the year and you are only going to spin out to any extent if you spend time on the road
    Hilly stuff-Peak District/Lakes/Wales I find 32:17 or even 32:18 works best. Elsewhere 32:16 is a good choice. If you are spending anytime on road though its going to be different

Coyote
    Free Member

Thanks for the tips. I think I’ll take Sharki’s advice and do it on the cheap. Ordered the Wooly Hat adaptor kit, only £9.99, and I’ll try at 32:16.

bakey

In hilly areas w/ minimal road, try 32/18.

If you’re converting a geared hub, buy the widest cog you can (Surly here) or you’ll damage the freehub.

Oggles
    Free Member

What is the consensus on tensioners, springy jockey ones or fixed roller? I am super buff in the leg dept. and break a lot of gear so was thinking fixed. Do they make a lot of noise? My mate has a chain device with rollers and it is noisy as!

Prophet2
    Free Member

If you are looking to use the s/s as a commuter bike then I would recommend 42:18. Gets you up the hills and also a wee bit of speed along the flats. Warning though, once you go s/s you will find yourself hurtling down the descents as fast as you can!

Coyote
    Free Member

Well, Friday night in the company of Badger’s Golden Champion and we have made progress.

Fun doing, lets see if it’s fun riding!

charliedontsurf

Looks like you have it sorted…

There are also a bunch or other parts you will need like skinny chainring bolts, maybe a fresh chain etc.

http://www.charliethebikemonger.com

feel free to email me if you need any more info.

also watch this… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93M9lvl8LM8

charliedontsurf

and you have a bottle of Badger Golden Glory too… good on ya… a mechanical pro then 😉

oldgit
    Free Member

That was the finished article in that last pic after consuming one bottle of beer.
    Yeah you’ll need another wheel and that’s upside down.
    Mail me in profile for anymore help.

Coyote
    Free Member

Lol @ oldgit. Nah, it’s complete and should get a spin tomorrow night.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Converting to single speed’ is closed to new replies.