Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Converting to 1 x10
  • bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

On my Hardtail (Cannondale).

Currently Running 3×8 mixture of Acera and Altus bits and I’m sick of my front mech needing a constant clean if the going gets muddy. Will I notice any good and bad points getting rid of the three rings up front for one. I only use my Granny ring at the moment as physio have said spin in A easy gear after knee surgery, but by spring and back to normal I only use the middle ring.

What do I need to change to 1×10 and I’m hoping to upgrade to SLX or XT

weeksy

Chainguide or appropriate chainring/mech.

clubber
    Free Member

– chainring (ideally thick thin), narrow chainring bolts (unless you use a bash ring)
    – 10 speed shifter, 10 speed mech (Zee FR seems to be the best value IMO), 10 speed cassette, 10 speed chain

With that setup you shouldn’t need a chain device.

I’m also assuming that your chainset is a standard 4 bolt design.

wwaswas

I’ve gone to a thick/thin chainring on my 1×9 bikes with no clutch mech or chain guide and have had no problems.

I’d get the ring and see how you get on.

tbh, though, if I’d had knee surgery I’d be keeping the option of a lower gear for climbing for days when I wasn’t feeling on top form. Maybe look at a 2×10 setup?

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Wwaswas- yeah you maybe right. I have just finished a short ride, I’m four weeks post op and managed 4 miles and my knee’s ballooned.

I did originally think 2×10 with bash. May look into that.

clubber
    Free Member

Get the setup I described above as a double and only change to 1×10 when you’re recovered.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Which rings? Any links. And do I just bolt my current cranks onto the rings. They are the four bolt design.

iffoverload
    Free Member

Some people have removed all the front mech and shifter parts but left the chainring

no problems with mud, you get the weight loss and if you need to you can shift the chain onto the small chinring and back manualy.

clubber
    Free Member

You could just stick with your middle and granny rings for now with the 10 speed rear set up and when your knee is better, remove the granny and replace the middle with a thick thin (and take off the front mech/shifter of course).
    Or just stick with 3×8 until your knee is better and change to 1×10 then.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Yeah gonna be about April time I change. Current progress isn’t going as well as I’d hoped. Walking upstairs is better but I can’t stand on pedals for more than two minutes at the moment.

When I do change I take it a four bolt ring will work with the cranks I get?

clubber
    Free Member

Yes, it should just work in middle ring position.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

I would stick with the 3×8 for a bit.

Your triple cranks should be fine if they are are 4 arm but you will need to replace the crank bolts to shorter ones when you switch to 1 x 10.

When you do switch I would look at something like this.

XT/SLX clutch mech £40-50
    XT 10 SPD cassette 11-36 £37
    Zee Shifter £24
    KMC X10-93 10 Speed Chain £20
    Works Components Narrow Wide Ring £35

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Converting to 1 x10’ is closed to new replies.