Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Converting slides to digital
  • tails
    Free Member

I see it can be done and there is a fair bit of info, even machines at amazon. Just wondering if there are any high street guys that do it, or any recommendations or info?

RudeBoy
    Free Member

What do you need doing? All 35mm?

There are places that could do it, or you could use a flatbed scanner with a transparency adapter, or a dedicated film scanner.

I have such a device.

tails
    Free Member

well there all on the plastic or cardboard slide holders?? there are quite a few of them – 500+. belong to my parents pics of them in there twenties and photos of there parents etc, so all very interesting.

What I want to do is get them all converted to digital format and then either put them in a digi photo frame or maybe print a few to send to there friends. I think jpeg rather than RAW as i won’t be editing them.

And yes there al 35mm

RudeBoy
    Free Member

500??

I fancy that may cost a bit, if you have them done professionally.

Might be worth getting a flat-bed scanner, with transparency adapter, to scan them in. Shouldn’t cost more than £100 or so.

Or if you really need super-high quality, then a dedicated film scanner will be a good idea. You might get one for less than a commercial lab would charge, for 500!

I’d say Jessops is probably the place to start.

tails
    Free Member

yeah my old man was quite a keen photographer in the 70’s i have seen things like this but the reviews are not to favorable.

I found a place doing them for 17p per slide so £85 if there are 500, but with the advent of flickr it seems alot of budding photographers are turning there passion into a business, wondered if there is someone who does it cheaper. Although quality is preferred to cost.

andym
    Free Member

‘…I won’t be editing them’.

Dust and scratches filters may have come on a long way over the last few years, but you might find yourself having to spend a lot of time retouching. Anyway you’d be better off getting TIFFs as master copies and then converting these to JPEGs.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Well, if you need any special ones scanning in at high-res, and re-touching etc, let me know.

17p? Blimey, that’s cheap. Mind, you’d get just as good results, buying a scanner! And then you’d have it for other uses.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I tried a neg holder on my flatbed scanner, but it the way it worked, any dust on the light source – which was very static prone – showed up in detail on each scan:-(

tails
    Free Member

oh so if i go the professional route i need to ask about dust etc. yeah i’ll let you know if there are any special ones rudeboy. what is it you do graphic design/illustrator

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Yeah, that sort of stuff. Work with Photoshop a fair bit. Teaching it atm. Done a bit of restoration work.

My scanner has dust+scratch removal software, but at very high res (5400 dpi!), it takes bloody ages! The advantage of a film scanner is that the scan is higher quality, and has more colour fidelity.

Problem with older pics, is that film can deteriorate, and develop colour casts. Fortunately, such things can be corrected.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Converting slides to digital’ is closed to new replies.