Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Converting rear hub from QR to 12mm and back again
  • PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Which hubs do this easily?

neninja
    Free Member

Hope Pro3 AM4 hubs do this easily as it has a 12mm axle which QR, 12mm and 10mm adapters all swap on to.

Hope Pro2 require an axle change to do this which means knocking out bearings.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Hope Pro 2 do it, but not that easily. You need to take them apart and swap out the rear axle, then reassemble (involves use of Hope tools.)

stevomcd
    Free Member

Hope Pro2 Evo’s do this easily – totally different to the old Pro2.

I also have some Mavic DeeTraks hubs which are equally easy to swap over.

jedi

my mavic crossmax seem to cover everything 🙂

hazza123
    Free Member

Superstar switch evo hubs are quite easy.

mrblobby
    Free Member

How do the Pro 2 Evo’s do this? They seem to have two different axle’s, one for 12mm and another for 10mm.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Hope Pro3 AM4 hubs do this easily as it has a 12mm axle which QR, 12mm and 10mm adapters all swap on to.

my mavic crossmax seem to cover everything

Hope Pro2 Evo’s do this easily – totally different to the old Pro2.

I also have some Mavic DeeTraks hubs which are equally easy to swap over.

Sounds pretty hopeful…

I know I can swap over my Kings, but I’m anticipating it involving bashing bearings off axles, which seems more hassle that it’s worth.

Northwind

Pro 2 are easy enough to do it- only takes a few minutes. Just with the slight drawback that the 12mm axles are made of glass. Pro 2 Evo sorts this though and is supposed to be easier to swap.

neninja
    Free Member

According to JRA you just swap end caps on the Pro2 Evo – sounds like they’re using Pro3 style internals.

http://www.justridingalong.com/news/2011/03/hope-pro-2-evo-whats-new/

mrblobby
    Free Member

Hmm notice you can replace the Pro 2 internals with the Evo internals for around half the price of a new Pro 2 Evo hub, that is quite tempting.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

According to JRA you just swap end caps on the Pro2 Evo – sounds like they’re using Pro3 style internals.

Hmm notice you can replace the Pro 2 internals with the Evo internals for around half the price of a new Pro 2 Evo hub, that is quite tempting.

Now that’s interesting.

messiah
    Free Member

I’ve gone Pro2 to Pro2 Evo so know what I’m talking about 🙄 , on the Evo you do just change the end caps, which unfortunately means removing the cassette to get the drive side end cap off.

Quickest/easiest way to convert between 12mm & QR is one of these… it’s not light but it’s a piece of piss, and means any 12mm hub can be used.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=34779

ir_bandito
    Free Member

<hijack>
    On the off-chance anyone reading this is interested, I’ve got an unused Pro2 135X12mm axle and end-cap set, and a brand new Superstar 12mm bolt thru axle for sale.
    </hijack>

I think the 12mm axle only has a problem with a Maxle-Lite as it relys on the strength of the thru-axle/bolt aswell and the Maxle-lite has thin walls.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Quickest/easiest way to convert between 12mm & QR is one of these… it’s not light but it’s a piece of piss, and means any 12mm hub can be used.

Messiah, you actually used one of these?

messiah
    Free Member

Messiah, you actually used one of these?

Yes, it does what it says. It’s not light and the bitties at the end which go into the frame seem a little short but it’s functional and works fine with my XT Quick Release.

I did wonder how it would work out since the frame is either going to come into contact with this axle or the hub grippy-bits first; On my Pro2 Evo hubs it’s the Hope grippy bits which grip on the frame first and this thing “floats”, or it would if it were not gripped enough by the frame dropouts. It’s bang on the perfect length for my application and I could not hear or feel it rattle/float in garage fettle or use.

I don’t use it all the time, but it’s handy to have about so I can sling the heavy duty wheels and tyres off my Nicolai (12mm) onto my Mmmbob (QR). Or if I’ve bunged the light wheels on the Nicolai I can chuck them back on the Mmmbop without having to take the cassette off – it’s also a usefull thing to have for trueing 12mm rear wheels on normal wheel trueing jigs :mrgreen:

mrblobby
    Free Member

Thanks Messiah, just made the purchase!

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

it’s also a usefull thing to have for trueing 12mm rear wheels on normal wheel trueing jigs

That’s a good point.

Northwind

mrblobby – Member

The original word was that you need to replace the freehub as well, anyone know if that’s right?

messiah
    Free Member

Correctamundo. New freehub required. I sent my wheel to Hope.

I’ve been running an Evo for about two months now with snappage, a non Evo pro2 would have died.

Northwind

Cool, I guess I’ll do that when I run out of 12mm pro2 axles :mrgreen:

messiah
    Free Member

That should read “without snappage” obviously 😀

kayak23

I use one of these too in my Nukeproof Generator hub. As Messiah says, they are not light, and I can also add that they rust easily, something which you’d expect from a solid lump of steel. dont see why they can’t make them out of ally.
    This aside, they are an easy and super quick way of swapping betwixt your 2 axle sizes.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Converting rear hub from QR to 12mm and back again’ is closed to new replies.