Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Converting iTunes to MP3 format
  • Mounty_73

Can anyone recommend a bit of software to convert all of my itunes to mp3 please?

slowoldman

I’m not sitting in front of iTunes right now but there is an option to create a copy of a file and select the format you want the copy to be in. I think you can select multiple files.

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

Provided they are not really old DRM protected ones this will do the job:

https://www.freac.org/

timmys

Can anyone recommend a bit of software to convert all of my itunes to mp3 please?

iTunes

Settings > General > Import Settings – set to MP3 + desired bitrate etc.

Select song(s), File > Convert > Convert to MP3 (obviously they need to be downloaded to the computer rather than just in the cloud).

Lossy to lossy format conversion will result in pretty grim sounding files though.

iffoverload
    Free Member

mediahuman audio converter is worth a look

https://www.mediahuman.com/audio-converter/

CountZero

But why would anyone want to convert tracks from a superior format to an inferior format? The native iTunes format is AAC, Apple’s name for what is MP4, a better codec designed originality for DVD soundtracks. It’s a proprietary format, but so is MP3, both of which Apple pays a licence fee to use.
    Apple Lossless, on the other hand, is an open-source file format.
    It seems daft to take a retrograde step and use a file format that even the organisation behind MP3 no longer supports.

What Is MP4? The Difference Between MP3 and MP4

weatheredwannabe
    Free Member

^ so you can stick more tunes on your phone, where quality is not as important as quantity for those long journeys.
    I use any audio converter which is free, will also convert Youtube video into audio

wobbliscott
    Free Member

iTunes can reduce to 256 or 124kb/s when syncing to your devices, so keeping Apple Lossless or AAC on your computer and ripping down at a lower bit rate and therefore file size. No need for any other software, iTunes does it all.

CraigW
    Free Member

MP3 is not really proprietary any more, all of the patents have expired. There are plenty of free encoders/decoders.

shermer75
    Free Member

But why would anyone want to convert tracks from a superior format to an inferior format

So you don’t have to buy them all again once you’ve reached you 5th laptop or want to use an Android phone

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Surely Android can play MP4 and AAC? They’re pretty commonplace formats these days. There is nothing proprietary about iTunes music formats. Even CD’s I’ve ripped to Apple Lossless play an other non-Apple devices no probs.

shermer75
    Free Member

I can’t play any of the stuff I’ve bought on iTunes. The file extension is ‘m4p’ (not mp4). When I looked into it there was some kind of DRM thing going on.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Converting iTunes to MP3 format’ is closed to new replies.