Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Converting from drops to flat bars .
  • oldfart

Got a Giant Revolt CX bike , I’ve got the original stem that’s a bit longer , a spare pair of bars and a pair of shifters knocking about . Just had a shufty on tinternet seems a pair of levers for the Avid BB7s are cheap as so have I missed anything and more importantly will I regret it ? I spend most of the time on the hoods rarely if at all on the drops . Will the reach be too cramped ?

shermer75
    Free Member

I’ve always found it to be fine!

martymac

My mate did exactly this on his genesis day one, worked fine.

richardthird

Biggest benefit is cheap hydro brakes, so shelve the BB7s and get any Shimano. BR-M355 upwards.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

if you run road mechs you’ll need flat-bar shifters (440, 770, 780) and not MTB shifters.

Go hydro on the brake too. Much better.

Run the stem a bit longer, as you say.

Fit bar ends for better positions/climbing. Ergon-type grips good too.

timwillows
    Free Member

Shimano 10 speed road/MTB are not compatible. I bought a new rear mech once I had worked this out.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Slight hijack. I’ve got a Spesh Allez road bike & really can’t be doing with drops, what kind of ballpark figure would put flat bars on it, in total?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Slight hijack. I’ve got a Spesh Allez road bike & really can’t be doing with drops, what kind of ballpark figure would put flat bars on it, in total?

If it’s got half decent kit on it then you might break even, as roadie shifters can fetch a bit second hand.

I’d say about 50% of people who currently ride drop bars would actually be better off on flat bars. They’re certainly a fashion. I’d say go for it.

oldfart

Thanks for the heads up about shifters , that’s stopped my gallop !

kerley
    Free Member

I switch between drops, risers and bullhorns all the time (easy for me as I have no gears or brake levers to worry about)

I use the same stem with all bars. I mostly prefer the risers as I ride off road and they make the bike more fun to manoeuvre around, jump over things etc,. but the single hand position is not so good for longer riders and I miss the multiple positions of the drops (or even the bullhorns)
    Your hands are also at a more natural angle on hoods but if you are on hoods pretty much 100% of time you won’t miss much.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Converting from drops to flat bars .’ is closed to new replies.