Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Convert wheel to 9 speed?
  • chipsto
    Free Member

I have a Merida Matts 40D with a 9 speed rear. I dug out an old pair of wheels off an old bike which had a 7 speed rear. I’d like to put some commuter/slick tyres on them so I can swap the wheels over depending on the type of riding I’m doing. I’m just wondering if it’s possible to convert the rear wheel to a 9 speed cassette with a quick release? Might there be anything that would prevent me from doing this?

mboy
    Free Member

Unless the wheel was an 8/9/10 speed wheel with a 7spd cassette on and a spacer to fill up the gap, then no…

7spd cassette freehubs were a different width. Thankfully 8,9 and 10 speed have all been the same (just the chains got narrower).

chipsto
    Free Member

Thanks. And I’m assuming I couldn’t get away with using the 7 speed cassette with the 9 speed derailleur?

cynic-al
    Free Member

mboy is half right – you can’t get a 9s cassette on a 7s freehub body, but you can convert the wheel by installing a 8 or 9s freehub body, you can then fit any 9s cassette on it (which is what was asked?)

Trying the 7s cassette in your 9s system – the gears won’t shift properly.

PaulD
    Free Member

The 7-speed hub will take 8 of the 9 from a 9-sp cassette and you can chose which end to omit.

Sheldon Brown covers this in his cassette database.

You cannot mix a 7-sp cassette and 9-sp shifter as the gaps are different.

PaulD

chipsto
    Free Member

Cheers, would that mean rebuilding the wheel or is the freehub body a separate part from the part of the hub that the spokes connect to?

chipsto
    Free Member

Thanks Paul, I’ll take a look at the database.

cynic-al
    Free Member

A frehub body bolts on, cost ~£20.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

unless it’s a screw-on cassette

chipsto
    Free Member

I just took the cassette off and it’s a screw on freewheel type, not a freehub. Does this mean it’s definitely not possible?

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

i dont thing there is a 9 speed screw on. you can buy a new wheel (half decent) for £65 from CRC http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=80876

munrobiker
    Free Member

9 speed screw ons do exist. Any Trek Electric bike dealer should be able to get one for you as their FX+ electric bike uses one and Trek UK carry spares.

chipsto
    Free Member

Even if I could get my hands on a 9 speed screw on freewheel, I assume the whole wheel assembly would be too wide to fit in my frame?

munrobiker
    Free Member

It should work out OK. The wheels are stil the same axle length.

oneoneoneone
    Free Member
    chipsto
    Free Member

I reckon the only thing to do is give it a shot. Thanks for the help!

munrobiker
    Free Member

Imagine what knowledge could be in my head if that wasn’t in there?

stonster
    Free Member
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Convert wheel to 9 speed?’ is closed to new replies.