• This topic has 15 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by hooli.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Convert a front cree light to a rear
  • jacob46
    Free Member

Anyone done this?

I need some red plastic or tape that dosent fade? Can anyone recommend a piece?

reformedfatty
    Free Member

cloudnine
    Free Member

Raid your christmas sweet supply..take one of the red sweet wrappers of a quality Street.. Elastic band the wrapper on the end of the torch. Carry spare sweets in case you lose it.

nixie

You’d get better mileage swapping the LEDs for the red version of what is currently fitted.

aide

What about glass paint? Never done it mind just an idea, will be following the post to see what comes up

falkirk-mark

How bright is it (too bright that you are dazzling a car coming towards you?)

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Do a search for lighting gels. They are the coloured filters that get added to the front of theatre lighting, given the heat those lights generate the gels should be fine inside an LED light. Cost around £5-£8 a sheet and available in a massive range of colours so getting a decent red shouldn’t be too difficult.

[edit]

Here you go: red £1.80 delivered

molgrips
    Free Member

This is a terrible idea.

Having seen super bright rear lights before no-one behind can see a **** thing, which is really not safe. And those were purpose built rear lights. A front light with a red filter is going to be absolutely horrendous and cause mayhem.

nickjb
    Free Member

As above, daft idea. Plenty of bright enough rear led lights available. A stupid bright one will make you and other road users less safe

jacob46
    Free Member

Saves buying another light if i have a spare front not being used.

Muppetwrangler cheers

fifeandy
    Free Member

Ah yes, just what the world needs – saddle mounted 4000lm rear light 😕

breadcrumb

Terrible idea. Unless for some reason you want to use it during daylight.

You’ll just dazzle other road users, it’s not going to help them safely overtake you.

twisty

Putting a filter in front of a white LED is an inefficient way to make a coloured light, the non red light would be converted to heat and wasted.

Switching the white chip for a red one is a good idea but you need to make sure the voltage/current is compatible, also the beam will probably be too narrow, you do want a wide beam.

I just made a 3W red LED as it happens, the intent is to use it during daylight and the sun is bright here but I still probably need to find a wider angle lens, 500 lumens of red is a LOT.

andyeez
    Free Member

Cut an old rear reflector into a circle and insert it under the glass lens, works a treat on the low setting and deflects the light.

mcnultycop

I just bought the right thing in the first place (although mine was cheaper).

http://picclick.co.uk/Am-Tech-Cree-LED-Super-Bright-Bicycle-Light-Cycle-311505227040.html

hooli

It is worth experimenting with but I would say it would be too bright and will dazzle people.

One thing I have seen done before on a dark country lane commute is to mount a light so it shines on the rider rather than backwards, this is effective as it shows that it is a cyclist long before the cars headlights are on the cyclist. You would need a second conventional light too.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Convert a front cree light to a rear’ is closed to new replies.