Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Conversion to Tubless – Problems – Grumbles
  • MartinGT
    Free Member

Right, I am “converting” or hoping to convert to tubless.

I have got UST tyres and the Stans No Tube Kit. I have Alex ZX24 Rims which I have been told are compatible.

Now, I place the Stans Rim tape with built in valvue over my rim tape. I placed my new tyres and tried inflating the tyre without any sealant in to check. No luck.

So, took off the existing rim tape and used it with just the Stans. Again no luck inflating the tyre.

The new tyres seem **** solid, they dont seem to want to shape to the rims.

Whats the craic? Anyone got any tips?

TheSwede
    Free Member

Compressor right? Squeeze the tire down on to the valve hole (push the tread on the floor) so the wall bulges out then hit it with the air.

MartinGT
    Free Member

Im not using a compressor, Ive been using a trackpump.

I read that if its a new tyre, remove the rim strip and use a traditional tube to shape the tyre.

Maybe ill try that and maybe a compressor 🙂

PJM1974
    Free Member

The trick is to put air in faster than it can leak out. A compressor is a massive help here, even if it’s a car cigar lighter powered cheapo job.

You could also smear some washing up liquid on the bead to help it seal.

PJM1974
    Free Member

@ MartinGT

I sincerely hope you’ve got forearms like Geoff Capes.

khani
    Free Member

Leave the tyres inside out overnight, spreads em out a bit, and as above, a compresser makes it much easier

snotrag

If there brand new tyres – fit them onto the rims with tubes in and leave them over night/as long as possible with them pumped up hard.

This will help the tyres take on the shape that they need to seal.

And using a track pump your gonna need to be lucky, or very,very good at pumping!

Track pumps work for re-fitting tyres that have already been seated etc, but really you need a compressor for seating new tyres.

CO2 canisters can work too, fast blast of gas.

MartinGT
    Free Member

Right, so compressor sounds like they way. Hmmm anyone know if Cross Trax in Leeds is open tomorrow?

**** Royal Wedding causing problems!

scu98rkr
    Free Member

i did some normal Michilin AT XC on a DT4.2 with rim strips just the other day.

i had already done some Racing ralphs on stan rims which was really easy. So I had some experience.

This time I just stuck the rim strip over the rim tape because I could nt be bother to remove it.

tried to pump up with track pump nothing much happen.
    Tried moving the tyres abit then just really gave it a go really pumped fast again nothing much happened then all of a sudden the tires seemed to catch on the rim and suddenly I was go.

Its just a bit odd you can pump for ages and nothing much happens it will sudden catch and work. you need to encourage the tyres bead to seat its self as much as possible and then just really go for it.

MartinGT
    Free Member

Right, seems like I have a few things to go on here which is encouraging.

Thanks very much all, appreciated.

Wish me luck!

mightymarmite
    Free Member

I’ve just spent the evening seating a set of continental x-king RS on a set of mavic x819’s.

Tried everything, soap water and 3 co2 canisters but nothing doing.

In the end fitted a set of old tubes, pumped them up to 40psi till they popped on, left them a few minutes then unseated the tyre near the valve, cut the tube in half and pulled it out through the gap, gently got the tube less valve in then reseated tyre. lay the wheel flat on the ground with the unseated side down. Several short bursts with the track pump and up it went.

Worked until I get a compressor !!!

adam_h
    Free Member

Did some none UST tyres on Stans Flow rims with the yellow tape last night. Tried with a track pump and was getting no where, took the valve core out which helped abit but still couldn’t get it. Don’t have a compressor but have a few bottles of nitrogen in my van. Quick blast of nitro and BANG, seated straight onto the rim, no worries 🙂

I’m guessing a compressor or CO2 would do the same thing though, so much easier than a pump.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Maxxis on xt rims seal with track pump. Conversions are the problem. Genuine ust is Taff less.

faceplanter
    Free Member

Never really had any compatibility issues with my two set ups. First being Mavic 819’s with Maxxis Ardent/Crossmark and secondly DT 5.1/Stans tubeless kit with pair of Maxxis high rollers. Maxxis tyres always seem to cause less probs than other brands and I have had zero issues even though I ride the peaks weekly.
    My only real advice is use plenty of sealant in the tyre and if it is trying to leak air as you are inflating, squeeze the tyre against the rim and get a mate/girlfriend to pump away with a track pump.
    Tim

MartinGT
    Free Member

Well, I did get them done and didnt use a compressor, I used a track pump.

I did put tubes in them over night to “mould” the tyre. next day, put them on, a few pumps of the track pump until it they took and woop it was on.

Raced at Enduro this weekend and they felt great!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Conversion to Tubless – Problems – Grumbles’ is closed to new replies.