• This topic has 13 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by br.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Contracting Advice – JoblessTrackWorld related
  • brassneck

Well, looks like @ 11:00 this morning I’m going to find out our internal organisation is going to get me ‘reorganised’ in a fairly final way.

As I’ve a few years under my belt, I’m likely to get a decent payout and am of a mind to try my arm at contracting to broaden my experience whilst I have a cushion behind me. It’ll be in IT infrastructure if it makes any difference, ideally aiming to pick up some work that could get me sponsored through clearance (lots of MoD and government stuff local to me).

Any advice to offer, stuff to read etc? Would probably be going with a managed limited company as I have little financial/tax knowledge and would prefer to concentrate on what I’m good at.

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

Just find a good accountant to take care of all the tax stuff and advise you on setting up your own limited firm. Get recommendations from mates. I would suggest someone who has a fairly balanced approach re IR35, ie:

doesn’t have you paying more tax and ni than a staff person BUT dosn’t have you claiming for pets (company mascot) or a canoe (for coporate entertaining) like someome I know.

register your CV on monster and jobsite, plus any others u can find.

brassneck

doesn’t have you claiming for pets (company mascot) or a canoe (for coporate entertaining) like someome I know.

Thanks for that, you’ve cheered me right up 🙂

I quite fancy a little play boat 8)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    IHN

Would probably be going with a managed limited company as I have little financial/tax knowledge and would prefer to concentrate on what I’m good at.

That’s what an accountant is for. Anyway, setting up and running a Ltd. company is a doddle, there’s a bit of paperwork to keep on top of but nothing remotely difficult. I went from ‘thinking about a contract position’ through ‘reading up about contracting’ to ‘setting up a Ltd company and having an accountant’ in about four days. It’s really not that hard, loads of online resources (Contractor UK being one of the best ones)

As for accountants, I use and would recommend SJD, they’re online and have quite a few local offices.

As for getting sponsored through clearance, any positions that I’ve seen that needed clearance expected you to have it already. I would think that would especially apply to contract stuff, where they’ll expect a quick start. Could be talking out of hat though, I have no specific experience in the field, I’m more a financial services BA/SA.

Go for it, I’m glad I did.

allthepies
    Free Member

dosn’t have you claiming for pets (company mascot) or a canoe (for coporate entertaining) like someome I know.

WTF! Piss take or what 😆

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

re clearances – it depends on the job. Some will want you to have it in advance, others will ask you to put the forms in before starting – all depends how desperate they are. One thing to note is thies can take a while, I’ve waited 4-6 weeks in the past for basic security clearance.

scaled
    Free Member

SC clearance will take a good while to come through (it normally takes them about a week to find the forms) then you can be looking a 3-4 weeks before you hear back.

DV obviously will take a lot longer.

Unfortunately for you there are a lot of SC/DV cleared guys in IT infrastructure already.

You round Wiltshire way?

brassneck

Unfortunately for you there are a lot of SC/DV cleared guys in IT infrastructure already.

Yeah I know some – already tapping them up. I have some ‘special’ certs and enterprise experience that might get me an in as well.

You round Wiltshire way?

About 500 yards from the county line now, but Wiltshire born and bred.

brassneck

As for accountants, I use and would recommend SJD, they’re online and have quite a few local offices.

Cheers IHN that’s the sort of thing I was looking for – I had their page bookmarked but it’s better to hear from a client.

allthepies
    Free Member

Don’t get seduced by “schemes” which claim to supply you with 80-90% of your gross income either. A lot of people got stung with offshore FX deal schemes which HMRC are now looking to hit with retrospective legalisation.

br
    Free Member

ideally aiming to pick up some work

you’ll be fine, its not like there’s anyone else doing the same… 😯

brassneck

you’ll be fine, its not like there’s anyone else doing the same…

Read the rest of the sentence regarding clearance. Plus 14 years of global enterprise experience makes me think I’m a pretty decent bet for an employer, it’s not like I’ll be picky to start with 🙂

allthepies
    Free Member

From your post I thought you currently didn’t have DV/SC clearance ? If you haven’t then you’ll be competing with people who already have it. Some places will be willing to take you on and put you through the process, others won’t. There do seem to be quite a few infrastructure types with clearance already in place, we don’t seem to find them hard to obtain. Good luck with the hunt though, how did the announcement go yesterday ?

br
    Free Member

Read the rest of the sentence regarding clearance. Plus 14 years of global enterprise experience makes me think I’m a pretty decent bet for an employer, it’s not like I’ll be picky to start with

We/I did, you wrote you needed sponsoring…

I wasn’t been smarmy, but just letting you know it isn’t rosy out there – and some of us can double that experience too, although you might be lucky and not get targetted with the ‘too experienced’ tag 😐

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Contracting Advice – JoblessTrackWorld related’ is closed to new replies.