Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Contract in Manchester (Didsbury) for the next 2-3 months.
  • crispy
    Free Member

Anyone from the neighbourhood?

What’s it like? Where’s good to stay? How’s the riding? Stuff to do?

Cheers!

ourmaninthenorth

Don’t live there any more. Still miss it.

Great place to live – I lived there for 10 years. West Didsbury is the “cooler” part, with a host of places to eat and drink along Burton Road.

Riding – if you’re on the road, then it’s a perfect place to ride to Cheshire (fairly flat) or Peaks (hilly). MTB is less good, unless you fancy cruising alongside the river mersey with an elevation of about 30 centimetres. A cross bike is good fun round there, though.

chambord
    Free Member

Nice place.

There are two parts really, West and East. Both nice – quite/very affluent folk round those parts, but this means there are good pubs, bars, food places delis etc.

Close to the Mersey and the Bridgewater canal so you can ride out to Sale and Dunham Massey to the East. If you go West you can get to Marple which has some decent riding. If you’ve got a car you can take the A6 to Edale, Hope etc which should take about 50mins (This is what I do at weekends, weekdays I ride around Marple).

There is also Clayton Vale which is a city centre (ish) trail centre, which is also close to the velodrome where you can do a track day if you fancy.

I’d say its a pretty good place to be if you like cycling.

scaled
    Free Member

You’ve got the famous Monday night pub rides, if you’ve got a car then you can get to Marple/Roman lakes/Peaks within 30 mins or so after work.

It’s pretty expensive to stay in Didsbury itself thanks to all the BBC types. For 3 months i’d shack up somewhere nice and cheap and bike to work

ourmaninthenorth

There are two parts really, West and East.

Three: East, Village and West.

I lived in West -> Village -> over the years I was there. Never ventured East as there’s just housing down there (albeit it’s near a cinema).

hora
    Free Member

Quite rough. Abit of a drugs problem but I guess not as bad as Salford.

edhornby

it is nice but not cheap to rent as scaled says – one thing to be aware of, there are quite a lot of bike and house thefts (because it’s a desirable area relatively close to dodgy bits) so don’t go driving round with a posh bike on a roofrack as an advertisment, put it in the car

chambord
    Free Member

Three: East, Village and West.

I have always considered East and Village together in my head, but I see what you mean.

One more plus point (If you like posh beer) is the new shop The Epicurean in West Didsbury. Well worth a look in there.

ourmaninthenorth

there are quite a lot of bike and house thefts (because it’s a desirable area relatively close to dodgy bits) so don’t go driving round with a posh bike on a roofrack as an advertisment, put it in the car

Was always very lucky when I lived there. Never had any of that sort of trouble.

It’s like all cities – the nice bits and less nice bits are often cheek-by-jowl.

portlyone

Well it’s not Chorlton but I guess it’s ok

ourmaninthenorth

One more plus point (If you like posh beer) is the new shop The Epicurean in West Didsbury. Well worth a look in there.

Do not tell me about new shops when I don;t live there any more!

(I love living where I do, but I thoroughly enjoyed my time there.)

Oh, and ignore hora – he’s jealous because he lives in Old Trafford or Stretford or some other similarly “not like Didsbury” place.

dazh

because it’s a desirable area relatively close to dodgy bits

You’ve just described the whole of Manchester.

GregMay
    Free Member

It’s ok, but we moved down the road towards that Chorlton place. It’s kinda like that London now.

nbt

Aren’t the Monday Night Pub Rides based out of Prestwich? Not exactly close to Didsbury!

hora
    Free Member

Oh, and ignore hora – he’s jealous because he lives in Old Trafford or Stretford or some other similarly “not like Didsbury” place.

Erm I live in St.Retford.

Here we don’t talk about equity made in a house, equity in a house, some charlie or wanting to go to Glastonbury and stay in a grownup tent in pubs around our way 😉

DFaffMaster

As you’re going to be so local. You may as well come and try out one of the Clarion rides. Meet to leave @ 7.15pm from the car park opposite the Arden Arms (near Asda in the town centre) every Wednesday evening.

http://app.strava.com/activities/153364847

That’s a good example of a local ride. Have fun.
    More info about Stockport Clarion http://stockport-clarion.org.uk/index.html

scaled
    Free Member

I might bob down for one of those clarion rides if they’re open to all, bit scared of that mountain goats’ strava that you linked too though, he’s quick up the hills!

dano
    Free Member

That looks a good ride there faff… I was getting lost down that way the other week… Your Wednesday rides open to all? Were you riding that on a cross bike or MTB?

DFaffMaster

We have a couple of mountain goats. Yeah our rides are open to all best way to find out if it suits us to come and give it a go.

Most of the stuff is rideable on a cyclo cross bike but I’d much rather do it on a mountain bike.

hora
    Free Member

Chorlton is like London?

Suburbia south London. It aint any part of London that I knew for years!!!

DFaffMaster

suits us = typo

best way to find out if it suits IS to come and give it a go.

I’m not out the next few Wednesdays as doing some MTBO events in the Peak District but there will be plenty of other riders out. I’ll let them know to keep an eye out for you.

crispy
    Free Member

Thanks all, much appreciated. Look like a great spot!

Turns out it doesn’t matter as I’ll now be working at their central Manchester site!

Flaperon

I live Dahn Sarf and still miss Didsbury. Lived on both sides, preferred the West. Don’t get a house or a flat anywhere near the main roads, the buses are the noisiest I’ve ever heard when the drivers boot it from a standstill and will shake the walls of the house.

Apart from that, it’s good. Too many joggers, though.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Contract in Manchester (Didsbury) for the next 2-3 months.’ is closed to new replies.