Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Continuous Beep on Mondeo Rear Parking Sensor, any ideas?
  • Jase
    Free Member

When engaging reverse instead of getting a short single beep from the parking sensors I get a longer continuous beep which I now realise is telling me the sensors aren’t functioning.

Has anyone got any ideas what the issue could be? It’s a 54 plate Mondeo estate. I’m going to give the sensors a meticulous clean to see if that solves it (although its not a particularly dirty car) but any other ideas would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Jason.

Cougar

Blocked sensor?

Mine started doing it the other day, cos of the snow. Quick wipe sorted it.

steveh

If the clean doesn’t work, try disconnecting them one at a time to find the faulty sensor.

craigxxl
    Free Member

As Couger said wipe the sensor clean.

If that doesn’t it could also be water trapped in the wiring loom usually the connection prior to it entering the boot. Unplug the connector give it a good spray of wd40 to displace the water, shake the excess out and use an electrical contact grease. Reconnect and wrap connection in insulating tape.

Jase
    Free Member

How do I access them to disconnect? Is it a case of reaching up behind the bumper?

nickhart
    Free Member

You’ve crashed?

craigxxl
    Free Member

Under the bumper and the loom enters the boot via the near side.

Jase
    Free Member

Thanks craigxxl, will take a look over weekend.

nickhart – no, was reversing and noticed car behind getting very close any no beeps, was less than an inch from making contact.

Cougar

Ah, misread. Yeah, sounds more like a short or some such, then.

Jase
    Free Member

Found the loom but any ideas how in seperates, I didn’t want to be too heavy handed and just yank it apart and break it?

craigxxl
    Free Member

A little tab on the side of the connector pushes in and they then separate. You may need to use a little flat screwdriver if you have fat fingers like me.

Jase
    Free Member

Cheers will have another go. Not much room under there to get your arms up either!

craigxxl
    Free Member

The loom is secured to the care but can be removed to work on. Just remember to secure it afterwards otherwise it won’t last long near a hot exhaust.

Jase
    Free Member

How is it attached, is it just clipped on to the lip?

craigxxl
    Free Member

just slides off a metal tab

Jase
    Free Member

Great, thanks for your help.

sparkyspice
    Free Member

When you check to see which one is toast, disconnect one ( or the beeping noise) and the working ones should make a quiet ticking sound…

samuri
    Free Member

Are you continuously driving backwards?

enfht
    Free Member

You have a traffic warden wedged under the rear wheel arch/bumper?

Very easily done.

bruneep

faulty sensor?

One on my CRV went £114 for a new one 😯

maxtorque

It will almost certainly be a failed sensor, put car in reverse with KOEO (Key On Engine Off), get out, and stick you ear over each sensor, you will hear “click, click, click” from the working ones, and nothing from the broken one. Plenty of S/H sensors on Ebay etc for ~£20. Depending on the spec of the car, you might have to slightly pull off the bumper cover to access the connector on the back to remove the sensors.

maxtorque

Also, check you haven’t got a non std towbar fitted (pukka ones disable the centre sensor when the electrics are connected)

oldnpastit

It means your wife was driving the car, and distracted by bickering children and incessant annoying bleeping from the parking sensor, has reversed into a tree, slicing through its wiring.

Very easy to fix: take to a garage and give them a huge amount of money…

Jase
    Free Member

Update: cleaning didn’t cure so got sensor off ebay for £19 and all sorted.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Only just got saw this. But if your’re sensors are overloading, it might be your XTC unit.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Continuous Beep on Mondeo Rear Parking Sensor, any ideas?’ is closed to new replies.